Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.78130°N / 105.892°W
Additional Information County: Clear Creek & Grand
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 12803 ft / 3902 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Ascending the BasinAscending the Basin toward Bobtail Benchark (left).


Less than one mile north of Jones Pass, along the Continental Divide, sits Bobtail Benchmark. Right on the edge of the Vasquez Peak Wilderness, this mountain is surrounded by plenty of wild country.

Surrounded by a maze of drainages including Vasquez Creek, West Fork Clear Creek, Jones Creek and McQueary Creek, Bobtail Benchmark is one of numerous peaks rising to 12,000 feet or higher in this vicinity, making for breath-taking, unimpeded views from the summit and the ridges leading to it. Vazquez Peak (12,947 ft.) rises nobly to the east-northeast of Bobtail Benchmark, in stark contrast the depressing, crumbling husk of the mined-out Red Mountain (12,315 ft. today, possibly lower tomorrow) across the valley.


Colorado Rank: 781st highest peak in Colorado
Prominence: 781 feet
Mountain Range: Front Range
USGS Quad: Byers Peak
Trails Illustrated Map: #103 (Winter Park/Central City/Rollins Pass)


*Rank and Prominence Reference: Lists of John

Getting There

Bobtail Benchmark rises along the Continental Divide on the border between Clear Creek County & Grand County. There are numerous points of access to this summit, but the one with the shortest approach and most convenient to the Front Range would be via US Hwy 40 out of Empire to Big Bend Picnic Area.

Getting There Map: Bobtail BenchmarkClick map image to enlarge


Red Tape

Ascending Pt 12673, Vasquez backgroundAscending Pt 12673, Vasquez background
Bobtail Summit CairnBobtail Summit Cairn


The area southeast of Bobtail Benchmark, specifically Red Mountain, is heavily mined. Many forms of recreation are accommodated and parking is allowed along the West Fork of the Clear Creek, but please mind any signs restricting access to mining property or dangerous areas in the vicinity of the Henderson Mine.

There is no fee to park or access the area from the Henderson Mine operations vicinity (eastern approach).

Camping & Lodging

Ridge guarding northeast edge of basinRidge guarding northeast edge of basin

West from the summitWest from the summit
East across the basinEast across the basin

Backcountry and 4x4 camping
Depending on your approach to Bobtail Benchmark, there will be plenty of backcountry camping opportunities should you wish to backpack in. Be warned that the area around Jones Pass Road sees heavy motorized vehicle use year-round.

Winter Park Ski Area
The Winter Park Ski Area is less than 70 miles northwest of Denver, but some visitors may wish to make a vacation out of their stay to the area . Vistit the Winter Park Lodging page for detailed information about hotels, cabins and condos in the area. Winter Park is approximately 20 miles north/east from the Big Bend picnic area.

National Forest Service Camping

Mizpah Campground
Mizpah Campground is the nearest established National Forest Service camping area to Big Bend Picnic Area. It is a small campground with limited amenities.
Elevation: 9,200 ft.
Season: Late-May through early September
Number of Sites: 10
Fee: $11 per night
Amenities: Water spigot, vault toilet
Vasquez Peak from the ridgeVasquez Peak from the ridge

Weather & Seasons

Last few steps up Pt 12673Last few steps up Pt 12673
Vasquez Peak from the ridgeSouth along the summit ridge


Bobtail Benchmark is a year-round peak for those with the right knowledge & abilities.

In the Summer, hikers may visit the peak for the cool breezes of the Continental Divide above 12,000 feet, but be aware that many others may have the same idea, reducing the level of solitude to be enjoyed on this peak in the warmer months.

Fall through Spring will likely bring the strong, bitter cold winds that the Continental Divide peaks are infamous for. During snow season, be very wary of heavy cornices forming on the east side of the Continental Divide. Also be warned that following the path of Jones Pass Road can expose hikers to avalanche risk as they near the ridge. For this reason, the Winter Route which gains the Divide via Point 12,673 is recommend.

Zone Forecast for Winter Park, CO

Moonset from FS 144Moonset from FS 144



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Front RangeMountains & Rocks
 
Colorado 12ersMountains & Rocks