Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 45.81990°N / 7.09932°E
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 9662 ft / 2945 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Note



        La montagna chiama i suoi figli, ed essi rispondono fedelmente al suo appello…

                                                                                           Osvaldo Cardellina, Diario alpinistico, 1964-65


Page texts: @ OsvaldoCardellina "Osva", passed away on May 2, 2022. Page owners: Christian Cardellina e Osvaldo Cardellina. Any updates from September 12, 2022: Antonio Giani, page administrator, friend and climbing companion.

Testi della pagina: @ OsvaldoCardellina "Osva", scomparso il 2 maggio 2022. Proprietari pagina: Christian Cardellina e Osvaldo Cardellina. Eventuali aggiornamenti dal 12 settembre 2022: Antonio Giani, amministratore della pagina, amico e compagno di salite.

 

Southern Overview Meridional

Even this Summit is part of the little Subgroup Grande Rochère (3.326m), constituting the last Summit to the East before the important Serena Hill (2.457m) between the Vallon of Planaval (South) and facing the opposite direction to the Combe du Merdeux in the Valley of the Great Saint Bernard. To look stylish and sleek on these two aspects, it provides a third much more "peaceful" and less evident to the South at the end of the long Vallon of Planaval. Like all Summit of the district has an old and crumbling rock that does not allow large climbing and that becomes dangerous moving away from its two ridges to the many faces. Which are actually three, because, in addition to the South Slope which comes with continuous development, that facing North is split into two walls separated by a very steep Eastern Edge. This, not very obvious but topographically rather important, descends to the three underlying Arps du Bois, dividing the Southeast Wall, rocky and inclined to 50°, from North-northeast to the Tête des Faces and then separating the Valley of Serena from a secondary between Crêton du Midi and this last. For this reason it is most popular in the Ski-Mountaineering than in the second, although for the first climbs are rare and usually carried out almost exclusively by local Mountaineers or by chamoises Hunters. This fact is evident even more on the Northern Slopes above the Combe de Merdeux in Valle del Gran San Bernardo, where steep rocky-scree slopes which advise against quite the climb, which most likely was carried out on very rare occasions exploiting, departing from Fraction Mottes under the most important village of Bosses, the small valley between the characteristic Tête des Faces and the elegant Pointe d'Entremont and then up the rather steep ribs of the wall above the North-northeast primarily using a couloir debris dating back soon to the left and coming soon to the Southern Peak or Crêton du Midi. Both crests, West-northwest to Crêton du Midi and Southeast to Serena Hill, the most demanding, towards the Costa Serena and the homonym hill, do not offer great possibilities of climbing art being formed by very crumbling rock, and often covered with soil by treacherous grassy layers wherefore here it describes and recommends only the Normal Route starting from Planavalle Valley and, as the only valid variant, the second of the two ridges or West-northwest Crest. Good views to the North above the Combe de Merdeux and small Chain of the Golliazs, while to the South the view strechtes along the Vallon Planaval reaching Grande Rochère.
Creton little Group
Anche questa Cima fà parte del piccolo Sottogruppo della Grande Rochére (3.326 m), costituendo l'ultima Cima verso Nordest prima dell'importante Colle di Serena (2.457 m) tra il Vallone di Planaval (Sud) e l'opposto rivolto alla Combe du Merdeux nella Valle del Gran San Bernardo. Di aspetto elegante e slanciato sopra questi versanti, ne offre un secondo molto più "pacifico" e meno evidente a Mezzogiorno al termine del lungo Vallone di Planavalle. Come tutte le Vette del circondario presenta una roccia vecchia, rotta nonché sgretolata che non consente grandi arrampicate e che diventa pericolosa allontanandosi dalle sue due creste verso le altrettante facce. Che in realtà sono tre, poichè, oltre al Versante Meridionale che si presenta con sviluppo continuo, quello rivolto a Settentrione si sdoppia in due pareti divise da uno Spigolo Est molto ripido. Questo, non molto evidente ma topograficamente piuttosto importante, scende verso le tre sottostanti Arps du Bois, dividendo la Parete Sudest, rocciosa ed inclinata a 50°, da quella Nord-nordest verso la Tête des Faces e quindi separando il Vallone di Serena da uno secondario compreso tra il Crêton du Midi e quest'ultima. Per questo motivo è scarsamente frequentata tanto nell'Escursionismo quanto nello Sci-Alpinismo, tanto é vero che anche per il primo le ascensioni che si registrano sono alquanto rare ed in genere effettuate quasi esclusivamente da Alpinisti locali o da Cacciatori di camosci. Questo fatto si evidenzia ancora maggiormente sul Versante Settentrionale sopra la Comba di Merdeux nella Valle del Gran San Bernardo, dove ripidi pendii roccioso-detritici ne sconsigliano del tutto la salita, che molto probabilmente é stata effettuata in rarissime occasioni sfruttando, con partenza dalla Frazione di Mottes sotto il più importante Villaggio di Bosses, il piccolo vallone compreso tra la caratteristica Tête des Faces e l'elegante Pointe d'Entremont per poi risalire i piuttosto ripidi costoloni della soprastante Parete Nord-nordest utilizzando principalmente un canalone detritico risalente subito sulla sinistra ed uscendo sulla Vetta più a Meridione ovvero il Crêton du Midi. Entrambe le creste, Ovest-nordovest verso il Crêton du Midi e Sudest, più impegnativa, verso la Costa di Serena e colle omonimo, non offrono grandi possibilità d'arte arrampicatoria essendo formate da roccia molto sgretolata, con terriccio e spesso ricoperta da infidi strati erbosi per la qual cosa qui se ne descrive e consiglia esclusivamente la Normale partendo dal Vallone di Planavalle e, com'unica variante valida, la seconda delle due od Ovest-nordovest. Buone vedute a Settentrione sopra la Comba du Merdeux e la piccola Catena dei Golliazs, mentre a Sud la vista percorre il Vallone di Planaval raggiungendo la Grande Rochére.

Topo on Ridges

Small hatch Topographical
From the Great Rochère (3.326m), the highest elevation of this small subgroup, down to the Northeast a long ridge, which would separate the Valley of Planaval East to those overlying the Val Ferret, as the Hill of Bonalé or Bonalex (2.925m) and aiguille of the same name (3.142m), the small Aiguilles de Malatrà (3.142m) and Artanavaz (3.071m) over Malatrà Hill (2.928m). Moreover the ridge continues, the same direction until you reach the Grand Golliaz (3.237m) and flexing more and more to the East, reaching the Great St Bernard Pass (2.469m). We are at the beginning of the Pennine Alps, with the majestic Chain of Mont Blanc, and at the end of the Graian as highlights very well the type of rock. There flaked and formed by mica schist transformed, here composed of solid granite. Important knot orographic and topographical, is mistakenly placed further East from the CNS (National Charter Switzerland) that confuses with the less important Altitude 3.028 meters. From its Summit descend three crests: the first or Northern a very short with above with Malatrà, while the other two, in the shape of the sides of an isosceles triangle, down "quieter" respectively to the Southwest towards a notch with the Aiguille de Malatrà and Southeast to the Grand Crêton, Top with identical exact elevation (3.071m). The two sides are courtyard with rock walls somewhat route facing North-northeast over the a small Vallon secondary of the Combe du Merdeux, while to the South-southwest above the Vallon Palanavalle down a slope enough steep composed almost exclusively of fine debris, small rotten rocks and grassy slopes. Yet over the partition it reaches Creton du Midi (2.945m), the Costa Serena (2.785m, 2.744m) to finally "get lost" over the Col Serena or Serena's Window (2.547m), an important transit point between Vallon Planaval in South and Combe Merdeux to the North.

 

Dalla Grande Rochère (3.326 m), massima elevazione di questo piccolo sottogruppo, scende verso Nordest una lunga cresta che, atta a separare il vallone di Planaval ad Oriente da quelli soprastanti la Val Ferret, forma il Colle di Bonalé o Bonalex (2.925 m) e l'omonima aiguille (3.142 m), la piccola Aiguille de Malatrà e quella d'Artanavaz sopra il Colle di Malatrà (2.928 m). Oltre la cresta spartiacque prosegue, stessa direzione, fino ad arrivare al Grand Golliaz e, flettendo sempre più ad Oriente, raggiungere il Colle del Gran San Bernardo (2.469 m). Siamo all'inizio delle Alpi Pennine ed al termine, con la maestosa Catena del Monte Bianco, delle Graie, come evidenzia molto bene la tipologia della roccia. Là sfaldata e formata da micascisti trasformati, qua composta da solido granito. L'Aiguille d'Artanavaz risulta quale importante nodo orografico e topografico, ma viene collocata erroneamente più ad Est dalla CNS (Carta Nazionale Svizzera) confondendola con la Quota 3.028 metri. Dalla Sommità scendono tre creste: una molto breve con piccoli risalti sopra il col Malatrà, mentre le altre due, a forma di lati di triangolo isoscele, scendono "più tranquille" rispettivamente a Sudovest verso un intaglio con l'Aiguille de Malatrà (3.142 m) ed a Sudest verso il Grand Crêton, Cima subito affianco e con identica esatta altezza (3.071 m). I due versanti di quest'ultima son rivolti con corte pareti di roccia alquanto rotta a Nord-nordest sopra un valloncello laterale rispetto alla Comba du Merdeux ed a Sud-sudovest sopra il Vallone di Planavalle, dove scende un versante meno ripido formato quasi esclusivamente da abbastanza ripidi pendii erbosi, roccette e fine detrito. Oltre ancora il divisorio raggiunge il Creton du Midi, la Costa di Serena per infine "perdersi" sopra il Colle di Serena (2.547 m), importante punto di transito tra il Vallone di Planaval a Sud e la Comba di Merdeux a Settentrione.

First Ascents

  • First on the Summit: unknown, probably by Chamoises Hunters.
  • In winter: unknown.
  • South-southwest Slope (Normal Route): unknown.
  • West-northwest Crest: Osvaldo Cardellina, Sergio Roverso and Nino Trapani; June 06th, 1974, in ascent to Altitudes 3.028m, 3.062m crossing Aig. d'Artanavaz.
  • Northern Face Osvaldo Cardellina, lone; Aug 17th, 1978, in descent to Combe du Merdeux after traverse on watershed from Aig. d'Artanavaz and Grand Crêton.
  • East Crest (from Combe du Merdeux-San Michele) Osvaldo Cardellina, lone; April 28th, 1996, with descent through Costa di Serena on South-Southeast Ridge crossing the Altitudes 2.785, 2.744, 2.710 meters.
  • Southeast Crest (from Planavalle-Serena Pass) Osvaldo Cardellina, Lino Gambalonga and Gianfranco Vicentini; July 02th, 2000, in ascent from Planaval through Costa di Serena traversing the Quotas 2.710, 2.744, 2.785 meters.
  • North-northeastern Diagonal Couloir into North Face Osvaldo Cardellina, lone; Aug 25th, 2011, in ascent from By Pasture (1.767m) in Combe du Merdeux and traverse on watershed to small fork 3.013 meters with descent to North under the Tête des Faces.
    Alps just below Crèton du Midi...
    By helicopter exactly to G. Crèton...
    Tete des Faces below the Crèton...
    Crèton du Midi & Gr. Crèton
    Artanavaz under Crèton du Midi...

Getting There

BY CAR:

  • From TORINO, MILANO, etc: Motorway A5. Exit at IVREA or Quincinetto (PIEDMONT).
  • From IVREA Town: in West towards Pont Saint Martin, Donnas, Bard, Champdepraz, Pontey, Fénis, Saint Marcel, Grand Brissogne, Pollein, Charvensod, Gressan, Jovençan, Aymavilles, to Villeneuve, Arvier, Avise, Morgex and to Pré Saint Didier, Courmayeur Municipalities (Western side). From Courmayeur Resort: in East to Morgex, La Salle, Saint Pierre, Sarre, Aosta Municipalities.
  • Southwestern Side in Dora Ferret & Baltea Streams: From Morgex Common towards Planavalle Vallon From La Salle 1.001m), with Regional Road, towards Challancin (1.610m), Cheverel, Morges (1.829m), Planaval Hamlets (1.750m); from this, through farms dirt road in North-northeast, passing Maison Blanche Pasture, towards the Rantin (2.333m) and Bonalé (2.340m) Alpages, in Upper Planaval small Valley. Northwestern Side in Rio Artanavaz Torrent: From Aosta Town to Merdeux Basin From Saint-Oyen (1.377m), with previous road to Mottes, continue West-northwest to Devies Village (1.723m) at the beginning of Merdeux Comba; from this with paths through Merdeux Dèsott (1.919m), Cotes (1.930m), Manda (1.973m), Tsa de Merdeux (2.285m) Pastures towards Serena Hill (2.547m). From Saint Rhémy en Bosses Commune (1.619m), through Municipal Road to the West until St. Leonard Fraction, at the beginning of Merdeux Comba near Maytie (1.676m) Pasture; from this towards Arp du Bois Dèsott Alpages (1.959m) and Serena Hill (2.547m).
  • From FRANCE: through the Mont Blanc Tunnel to Entrèves-crossroads to Vény/Ferret Valleys - Mountain Guides of Courmayeur - La Saxe Rock Gym - Courmayeur. By Little Saint Bernard Pass, closed since November until half May to La Thuile Valley - Pré Saint Didier - Courmayeur. It is not necessary to take Motorway A5: you can drive on SS.26, in the direction of AOSTA - IVREA - TURIN.

BY PLANE:

  • Aeroporto "Corrado Gex" Saint Christophe (Aosta).

Approaches & Routes

A) - Approach towards Col Serena (2.547m) from Great St. Bernard Valley: from the Fraction of Mottes by the State Road of the Great St. Bernard Pass. Mottes (1.660/70m, Village of Bosses, accessible from the SS.27 of the Gran San Bernardo) address itself to the West down slightly to pass under the highway to the "big bend", immediately after fording the Rio (Torrent) d'Artanavaz above a small bridge just after Farettes Pasture (1.666m). Continue to the Southwest with trail n° 9 can be reached in the progression the Pasture of Arp du Bois Dèsott (1.935m), where comes, passing near Bernard Alp, even a path not numbered from Alps Merdeux Dèsott (1.919m), Côtes (1.930m) and Potz-Ardusi (1.784m) on trail of the Alta Via n° 1 and at the entrance of the real and long Comba's Merdeux. Continue instead to Southwest always through the path n° 9, which goes completely shorter Comba Serena to reach the namesake hill, also known as "Fenêtre de Sereina" (2.547 m; E/F; 2h'30/3h'00).
Route from Serena Pass up to the Costa di Serena or "Côte Sereina" (2.710m, 2.745m, 2.785m): from the hill climb in short time above the brief Southeast Crest of Quota 2.710 meters at the beginning of the Serena's Coastline. Before continue North until the following Altitude 2.745 meters; after, flexing more to the North-northwest, reach an Altitude 2.736 meters, just above a subsequent carving (2.675m). From this point, always going up between rocky slope (East) and easy grassy (West), reach the highest Summit (2.785m), where the crest end with an almost vertical wall of about a dozen meters above a more large saddle to Crêton du Midi (EE/F/F+; 1h'30/2h'00 Serena Hill).
From "Côte Sereina" to Crêton du Midi through Southeast Crest: from the saddle about 2.775 meters continue on watershed flexing progressively to the North through a serie of steps more dangerous that difficult with great exposure to the right (East) above the steep Southeast Face, characteristic for the slabs of inclined calcschists to 50°. This ridge rises linearly for about 80 meters to a small rocky terrace; after with steep and delicate slope, leaving the left (West) grassy-rocky slopes, you reach the double Summit (EE//F+/PD-; 2h'30/3h'00 from hill). Downhill should go through to the Grand Crêton until you reach the saddle 3.013 meters and from this well in wide ride through the Planaval Vallon back to Serena Hill. Or go directly down to the Comba du Merdeux through one of three steep couloirs where the snow remains until late summer.
 
 
A) - Avvicinamento al Colle di Serena (2.547 m) dalla Valle del Gran San Bernardo: dal bivio appresso la Frazione di St.-Leonard 1.519m), accessibile dalla Strada Nazionale n° 27 del Colle del Gran San Bernardo proseguire verso Occidente arrivando alla Frazioni di Couchepache, Ste-Anne-Suil e Tat-Mottes (1.660/70 m, Villaggio di Bosses. Da qui indirizzarsi ancora con questa direzione raggiungendo un gran tornante, subito dopo aver guadato il Rio (Torrente) d'Artanavaz sopra ad un ponticello giusto appresso agli Alpeggi di Farettes (1.666 m). Continuare a Sudovest tramite il sentiero-mulattiera n° 9 potendo raggiungere in progressione l'Alpe di Arp du Bois Dèsott (1.935 m), ove inoltre giunge, passando nei pressi dell'Alpe Bernard, un sentierucolo non numerato proveniente dalle Alpi Merdeux Dèsott (1.919 m), Côtes (1.930 m) e Potz-Ardusi (1.784 m) sull'Alta Via n° 1 nonché al vero e proprio ingresso nella lunga Comba du Merdeux verso il Col Malatrà. Procedere invece in direzione Sudovest sempre con sentiero n° 9, che, percorrendo completamente la Comba Serena, ne raggiunge l'omonimo colle, anche conosciuto in loco quale "Fenêtre de Sereina" (2.547 m; E/F; 2h'30/3h'00). Via dal Col Serena insino alla Costa di Serena o "Côte Sereina" (2.710 m, 2.745 m, 2.736 m, 2.675 m, 2.785 m): dal colle risalire in breve tempo per rocce rotte frammiste a detrito al di sopra della breve Crestina Sudest della Quota 2.710 metri all'inizio della Costa Serena. Dapprima proseguire verso Settentrione fino alla successiva Quota 2.745 metri; indi, flettendo con lieve discesa più a Nord-nordovest, raggiungere in traversata la Quota 2.736 metri, appena al di sopra della susseguente forcella (2.675 m). Da qui, sempre risalendo a cavallo tra un versante roccioso (Oriente) ed uno erboso (Occidente), raggiungere la Sommità più elevata (2.785 m), ove la cresta termina con un salto quasi verticale d'una dozzina di metri al di spra d'una più larga sella precedente la vera e propria Cresta Sudest del Crêton du Midi (EE/F/F+; 1h'30/2h'00 dal colle). Dalla "Côte Sereina" al Crêton du Midi tramite la Cresta Sudest: dalla sella 2.775 metri circa continuare sullo spartiacque progressivamente ripiegando al Nord a mezzo d'una serie di passaggi più pericolosi che difficili con grand'esposizione sulla destra (Est) sopra la ripida Faccia Sudest, caratterizzata da lastroni di calcescisti inclinati a 50° al di sopra della parte medio-alta del Vallone di Serena. Questa cresta sale linearmente per circa 80 metri fino ad un terrazzino roccioso; quindi diventando più ripida e delicata, lasciando a sinistra (Ovest) pendii alternanti rocce ed erba, perviene alla biforcuta ed acuta Vetta (EE//F+/PD-; 1h'15/1h'30 dalla sella 2.775 metri; 2h'30/3h'00 dal colle). In fase di discesa conviene dirigersi verso il Grand Crêton sino a raggiungere la sella 3.013 metri e da questa tramite discesa a Meridione e con giro ben largo nel Vallone di Planaval rientrare verso il Colle di Serena. Oppure scendere direttamente verso la Comba du Merdeux tramite uno dei triplici couloirs ove le nevi permangono sino a tarda estate.
Creton du Midi...
B) - Approach and route from Planaval Vallon: from La Salle Common (1.001m) with Regional Road in North-northwest, passing near Cheverel (1.436m), Challancin (1.610m), Morges (1.829m) Hamlets, reach the Planavalle Valley. By tiny Hamlet (1.750m), below the Bec de l'Aouillé (2.535m), proceed using the dirt road, concomitant with the trails n° 3A/6/7, and through a long diagonal enough steep to reach before the suspended Alp Rantin (2.338m. Abandoning left (Northwest) the trail n° 7 towards Praz-Barlet and Bonalex Alpages, continue to the North reaching the point 2.477 meters at the base of the small Southwest Crest of Altitude 2.710 meters at the beginning and above Côte de Sereina. Short time reach the preceding route from Mottes and through this to the Summit EE//F+/PD-; 3h'00/3h'30 from Alp Rantin; in all 4h'45/5h'15).
Variant through West-northwest Ridge: from Praz-Barlet (2.358m) Pasture, reached with previous trail n° 3A/7, climb, holding slightly more to the right or North-northeast of the small torrent, up to the depression with the Grand Crêton (3.013m). Reached this turn right (East) and go up through the Northwest Ridge, with pretty easy but certainly safer route. Bypassed an unsignigicant altitude, in a short time you get to the Top (passages of I°/I°+/II°-; with great exposure facing North or Combe du Merdeux into the San Bernard Valley; 4h'45/5h'15). These mountains, like the neighbors Aiguille d'Artanavaz (3.071m) and Grand Crêton (3.071m) to the Northwest or Côte de Serena (2.785m) in Southeast, are rarely popular. Route are more delicate that difficult, because of the very bad rock quality and the presence of very slippery grass, by the local inhabitants known as "ollina", layers above the same. Therefore greater emphasis on chamoises Hunters than to Mountaineers and especially for Hikers, even if expert.
 
 
B) - Avvicinamento e Via Normale dal Villaggetto di Planavalle: da Planaval (1.750, m), sottostante il Bec de l'Aouillé (2.535 m), procedere utilizzando il lungo diagonale verso Settentrione della strada poderale, concomitantemente al sentiero n° 3A/6/7, sospesa sopra all'omonimo vallone, fino a raggiungere dapprima l'Alpe Rantin (2.338 m). Lasciando sulla sinistra (Nordovest) la mulattiera n° 7 in direzione delle soprastanti Alpi di Praz-Barlet e Bonalex e sulla destra (Nordest) il proseguimento n° 6 in direzione del Colle di Serena, continuare verso Settentrione raggiungendo il punto 2.477 metri alla base della Crestina Sudest della Quota 2.710 metri all'inizio Meridionale della Côte de Sereina. Ricongiungersi al precedente itinerario proveniente da Mottes e con questo alla Cima EE//F+/PD-; 3h'00/3h'30 dall'Alpe Rantin; 4h'45/5h'15 complessivamente).
Variante per la Cresta Ovest-nordovest: dall'Alpe Praz-Barlet (2.358 m), raggiunta con breve continuazione del precedente itinerario n° 3A/7, salire facilmente, tenendosi leggermente più a destra del torrentello, alla depressione con il Grand Crêton (3.013 m); raggiunta questa piegare a destra e salire tramite la Cresta Ovest-nordovest con percorso abbastanza facile ma certamente più sicuro anche se un pò esposto. Scavalcata una quota secondaria, in breve tempo si arriva alla Vetta (passaggi di I°/I°+/II°-; con notevole esposizione a Nord; 4h'45/5h'15). Queste montagne, come i viciniori Aiguille d'Artanavaz (3.071 m) nonché Grand Crêton (3.071 m) verso Nordovest e la Côte de Serena (2.785 m) a Sudest, sono assai raramente percorse. Risultano itinerari più delicati che non difficili, a causa della cattiva qualità della roccia e della presenza di strati erbosi con particolare erba scivolosa conosciuta come "ollina" sopra la medesima. Percorsi maggiormente adatti più a Cacciatori che non per Alpinisti e tantomeno per Escursionisti.
 

Difficulties & Equipment

This route can be considered EE/F+ or EEA/F+/PD- (Experts Hikers or Mountaineers) in winter (even by Ski).
 
L'itinerario è da classificare in EE/F+ oppure EE/F+/PD- (Escursionisti Esperti od Alpinisti) in inverno (anche in Scialpinismo).

 

Crêton du Midi from Planaval, by livioz
 
Hiking gear, in winter as for Ski-Mountaineering.
 
Da Escursionismo, in inverno da Scialpinismo.
 

Important informations

Useful numbers

  • Protezione Civile Valdostana località Aeroporto n° 7/A Saint Christophe (Ao) Tel. 0165-238222.
  • Bollettino Meteo (weather info) Tel. 0165-44113.
  • Unità Operativa di Soccorso Sanitario Tel. 118.