Grande Dent de Veisivi

Grande Dent de Veisivi

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 46.05012°N / 7.52718°E
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 11214 ft / 3418 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Halfway the Val d'Herens, at the village Les Hauderes, the valley split in to two valley's (Val d'Arolla and the last part of the Val d'Herens). At this point a big mountain rises above Les Hauderes. The peaks of the Dents de Veisivi (the Petite (3184m) and the Grande(3418m)).

The Grande Dent de Veisivi is located north on the ridge of the more famous Aiguille de la Tsa and the Dent de Perroc. On the east side lies the small mountain village Seppec, and on the west side Satarma.

The mountain is not very often climbed. This is propably because of the long ascent from the valley. There is no mountain hut around this mountain, so you have to climb it all the way from the valley. From the summit you have a great view towards the Dent Blanche.

First ascent: J.S.Philpott, M.Pralong and J.Vuignier in 1875.
Dent de VeisiviThe Grande Dent de Veisivi

Getting There

In general:

By Car: From Sion in the Rhône Valley, advance to Val d'Herens and follow it to Les Hauderes (1436m).

Public Transport: The nearest trainstation is in Sion (about 25km away), from Sion you'll have to take the bus that leads to the villages (see links for the time tabel for the bus).

To Satarma (Val d'Arolla, 1808m):

At the end of the village Les Hauderes, take the road to Arolla (turn right). Follow this road untill you arive at Satarma.

To Seppec (Val d'Herens, 1661m):

At the end of the village Les Hauderes, take the road to Ferpecle (turn left). Follow this road untill you arive at Seppec.

Routes

Normal route from Satarma/Northwest-ridge:

From Satarma (1808m) follow the path that leads to the Col de Tsarmine (3051m). This part is very long but beautifull. If you're lucky you can see ibexes on the way up. From the col try to use the snowfields for about 200 meters. The last part you'll have to climb two little chimnes to get to the summit.

Alpine climbing grade: F, 4-5 hours from Satarma.

Ibex on the way to the Col de TsarmineIbex on the way up


Normal route from Seppec to the Col de Tsarmine:

From Seppec (1661m) cross the bridge over the Brgne de Ferpecle and go up on the West side of the valley. Trough the forrest, between two small streams. At 2304m you'll have to follow the West side of the moraine. After that go slightly left and follow a few ledges with gras and reach the col de Tsarmine (3051m). Not recommended!

Alpine climbing grade: F, 3-4 hours from Seppec to the Col de Tsarmine.

Alternatives:

* East-ridge: F, not recommended, 5 hours from Ferpecle.
* North-ridge: D+, V, 8 hours from Seppec
* North-face: TD, V+, 12 hours from Seppec
* South-ridge: AD, III, 3 hours from the Blanche de Perroc

On the Col de TsarmineOn the Col de Tsarmine

Maps and Guidebooks

Maps:

-Carte nationale de la Suisse: Nr. 283 Arolla, 1:50000
-Carte nationale de la Suisse: Nr. 1327 Evolene 1:25000

Guidebooks:

-SAC guidebook: Walliser Alpen, Band 3, Nr. 232-6
-SAC guidebook: Hochtouren im Walis, Vom Trient zum Nufenenpaß

External Links

* Les Hauderes:
www.evolene-region.ch

* Camping Arolla:
www.camping-arolla.com

* Digital Map:
www.swissgeo.ch

* Public Transport:
www.poste.ch

* Weather in Switzerland:
www.meteoschweiz.ch

* Avalance bulletin Switzerland:
www.slf.ch