Just in the middle of the area which is most densely dotted with nice lakes, a not much spectacular mountain rises, reaching only an altitude of 2667 meters. Even if the mountain itself is nothing special, it is a nice hiking goal and on any route on its top you can experience a most beautiful Tessin/Ticino landscape.
As the lower area is easily reachable, at least from the south, from Valle Leventina, by the lakes many people simply spend time, doing easy hiking around. Only 800 m higher, visitors are already rare. And even they mostly go by the marked paths, which connect huts. The summit of Pizzo Taneda has a lot of big cairns, but much less visitors. It is mostly visited by hikers who include the short summit ascent into a broader hike over the high saddles. That's what we did as well. In winter, the summit must be a nice goal for skiers, only that Val Cadlimo does not end very nicely near Passo del Lucomagno. And, it is not a secret, the whole area is very rich with minerals, which can also attract some visitors.
|Lago Cadagno is a meromictic lake in the Piora valley. First time met this term? Me too, so I researched further and learned that these types of lakes have layers of water that do not intermix. A set of pre-conditions must be met, first of all deepness and lack of outside influence (stronger water inflow, wind etc.). That is why lower layers stay on the bottom, keeping in their contents also interesting history of the past ages. As these lakes are rare and have also specific fauna and flora, also Lago di Cadagno is often studied by scientists.|
Summit ViewsIts central position enables Pizzo Taneda nice views on the nearby mountain area, but only towards the west and south views are flying far. There are the high mountains west of St. Gotthard and south of them the broad area of Tessin/Ticino mountains, with Basodino, Cristallina, Pizzo Campo Tencia and other summits. As even in the ridge between Val Cadlimo and Val Piora Pizzo Taneda is not the highest summit (east of it Schenaduei, 2747 m, is higher), those views are a bit obscured, and so are of course the views towards the north, on the not so attractive southern slopes of Piz Blas and its neighbouring 3000-ers.
The second good starting point for tours on Pizzo Taneda is Passo del Lucomagno, 1915 m. There starts a very nice round tour on which we can combine visits of Val Piora and Val Cadlimo.
- From Passo del Lucomagno through Val Cadlimo. Passo del Lucomagno (1915 m) - Lai da Sontga Maria SW shore (1924 m) - Stabbio Nuovi in Val Cadlimo (2250 m) - Motto del Isra (2379 m) - Pizzo Taneda (2667 m). 3 h 30 min, mostly easy hike up (T3).
- From Passo del Lucomagno through Val Piora. Passo del Lucomagno (1915 m) - Lai da Sontga Maria SW shore (1924 m) - Passo dell'Uomo (2218 m) - Val Piora, Cadagno di Fuori (1917 m) - Saddle towards Lago di Tom (2077 m) - Laghetti di Taneda (2248 m, 2304 m) - Saddle towards Lago Scuro (2477 m) - Pizzo Taneda (2667 m). 4 h 30 min, mostly easy hike up (T3).
- From Piotta funicular. Upper station of funicular (1794 m) - Alpe Ritom (1891 m) - Lago di Tom (2222 m) - Laghetti di Taneda (2248 m, 2304 m) - Saddle towards Lago Scuro (2477 m) - Pizzo Taneda (2667 m). 2 h 30 min, mostly easy hike up (T3).
Images From the Pizzo Taneda Round TourBelow is just a set of images from the nice round tour, combining the above Val di Piora and Val Cadlimo routes. See a detailed route description on the child page!
- Capanna Cadagno, 1987 m. Opened whole year, but only from the start of June till the end of October you can get there full service. Access: From Von Ambri-Piotta with funicular to Ritom, then on foot. 1 h 30 min. From Passo del Lucomagno over Passo dell'Uomo. 2 h 30 min. By car: From Piotta via Altanca, 1 h 30 min.
- Capanna Cadlimo, 2570 m. It stands on the pass above the end of Val Cadlimo, just north of Pizzo Taneda. It is accessible from Passo del Lucomagno by the same marked route, as described for the ascent on Pizzo Taneda. Good 3 hours of walk up.Add External Links text here.
Red TapeNo special restriction in the nearby area.
When To Climb?
Your Help Is NeededIf you visited the area, the following additional information is mostly needed:
- Any experiences from tour skiing.
- Pictures from winter time.
- Other ascent routes on Pizzo Taneda (from the east, scrambles, ...