Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 38.99900°N / 106.828°W
Additional Information Elevation: 12528 ft / 3819 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


Greg Mace Peak is a smaller mountain mixed into the midst of the high Elk Range. Also, this peak's location is quite convenient since it is located just minutes away from downtown Aspen . The mountain is a part of the rugged Elks and stands as a similar example of the rotteness found in the rest of the range with its steep loose rock. Located just to the south of Castle Peak , this mountain is almost never climbed because of this overbearing of bigger neighbors. This peak offers a number of routes: From those who are looking for a technical thrill, to those who are just becoming aqainted to Colorado's mountain scenery, there's a route for all. This peak's topography contains a steep and very narrow ridge line that extends about a half mile. The ridge is a giant knife edge which heads east to west, due south of Castle Peak. Anyone who makes the approach to Castle Peak via the Montezuma Basin route will pass this mountain on their left. From this position, the peak is a steep wall of rock which appears to jut straight into the air. The best route, for a non-technical climb would be on either the east or west ridge. The west ridge is easier because it starts at a higher elevation and is not quite as steep. This mountain provides wonderful views of the surrounding range and includes most of the Elk's fourteeners.
Greg Mace Peak_id=109220

Getting There


From Aspen:
From Aspen continue west on Colorado Highway 82 until you get just outside of town to a roundabout. Once in the roundabout continue almost the entire way around to the last turn-off for Castle Creek Road. Continue back this road for eight miles even as the road turns to stone until you reach a crossing at Castle Creek. You may either park here or continue across the creek up to Montezuma Basin. From just below the basin you'll see the mountain on your left. Head for the west ridge which will be to your southwest and begin your ascent.
From Glenwood Springs:
Continue south on Colorado Highway 82 for approximately forty-five minutes towards Aspen until you reach the roundabout just outside of town. Once in the roundabout continue almost the entire way around to the last turn-off for Castle Creek Road. Continue back this road for eight miles even as the road turns to stone until you reach a crossing at Castle Creek. You may either park here or continue across the creek up to Montezuma Basin. From just below the basin you'll see the mountain on your left. Head for the west ridge which will be to your southwest and begin your ascent.

Red Tape


There are no permits required for hiking/climbing in the Maroon Bells/Snowmass Wilderness area. Parking is readily available as well alongside the road near the intended route. For wildlife conservation follow the "LEAVE NO TRACE" program and you'll be fine. For more information on that go to:
www.LNT.org
Greg Mace Peak_id=109208

When To Climb


This mountain is climbable at all times during the year, however, winter conditions may be possible during any month. The best time to climb any peak in the Elks would be from mid-July to mid-September.
Always check the weather prior to any attempt on any peak where weather may be vital!

Camping


There is camping below Montezuma Basin along Castle Creek that is free of charge. For information and regulations on camping in the Maroon Bells/Snowmass Wilderness, contact the local ranger station in downtown Aspen.

Mountain Conditions


For current weather information click on the link below!
Aspen weather

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
Sarah Simon

Sarah Simon - Sep 8, 2010 1:43 pm - Hasn't voted

About Greg Mace

Hi there, Here us a bit of information about the man this peak is named for: http://www.wildsnow.com/754/mountain-rescue-honor-guard-greg-mace-tribute-june-2005/ Climb safely! Sarah

Viewing: 1-1 of 1



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.