Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 46.90000°N / 10.11670°E
Additional Information Elevation: 9625 ft / 2934 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


The Hohe Rad is certainly not the most prominent peak of the Silvretta region, even below the 3000m threshold important to all the peakbaggers out there. However, it offers a fun climb, sports an impressive cross at the top, and offers an excellent panoramic view of "classic peaks" such as the Piz Buin and the Silvrettahorn

The Hohes Rad is situated on the eastern side of the Silvrettasee (2032 m), near Bieler Höhe.

Red Tape


It is free to climb. To come to Bielerhöhe by car, you must go over the Silvrettahochalpenstrasse where you have pay a road toll . There is a large parking at Bielerhöhe.

When To Climb


Best to climb in summer. In the early summer there can be too much snow to go to the Radschulter.

Accomodation/Closest huts


Wiesbadener Hütte (2443 m)
The Wiesbadenener hut is situated at the end of the Ochsental on the eastern flank.
It is the basis for the ascension of such mountains as Piz Buin, Silvrettahorn, Schneeglocke and Schattenspitze. More information here.


Camping is not allowed.

Mountain Conditions


Best look for the weather in Galtür or Partenen. These are the two closest villages.

Route Overview


1. From Bielerhöhe.

Up to 2500 m it is an easy path. Then comes a large snowfield that normally is crossed up to the Radschulter (2697 m). It is also possible to go trough the loose rocks on the left side of the snowfield.From the Radschulter it is just 200 m of scrambling to the summitcross.

2. From Wiesbadener Hut

Perfect afternoon stroll if you stay at Wiesbadener Hut in order to climb Piz Buin the next day.

Marked path (easy) to Radschulter via Radsee (lake) and Radsattel (saddle), a little scrambling to the top (see above)

Getting there


The Silvretta Hochalpenstraße (high alps road) connects the Paznaun and Montafon valley. The pass is the Bieler Höhe, starting point for lots of trips in the Silvretta (Piz Buin etc.).

The Paznaun valley (Ischgl, Galtür) is a side valley from the Inn valley (branches of at Landeck).

Map


No. 26 DAV-Alpenvereinskarte "Silvretta" (1:25000)

Literature


Günther Flaig, Silvretta, Alpenvereinsführer, 11th ed., 1996

External Links



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Silvretta GroupMountains & Rocks