Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 46.40000°N / 9.82000°E
Additional Information Elevation: 11043 ft / 3366 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview


Il Chapütschin is a mountain at the end of Val Roseg (Roseg-valley) south of Pontresina in the Bernina-Alps in Graubünden/Switzerland. It can be seen as the point of intersection of the Sella-ridge (main-summit Piz Glüschaint) and Corvatsch-crest. »The Capuchin« got it's name from its north-side appearance. From Pontresina the alternating of rocks and ice sometimes lets the mountain look like a monk with a white cowl.

The mountain is glaciated to all directions. The great Vadret da Roseg (Roseg-glacier) extends to the south and east. The Vadret dal Chapütschin and the Vadrettin dal Chapütschin flow to the north. A nameless little ice-field covers the mountain on its western side.

You can easily reach the summit of Il Chapütschin, when you are familiar with ice and snow in high mountain-chains. Because Coaz-hut (2.610 m) is an optimal starting point near the summit, Il Chapütschin is often visited by mountaineers.

Getting There


The mountain-range of Bernina-alps lies south-east of St. Moritz (San Murezzan), the well-known winter sports centre of Switzerland. From the north (Chur ) it is best reached over the Julier-mountain-pass.

A survey gives http://www.ize.ch.

When using the Corvatsch-Ropeway from Silvaplana / Surlej south of St.Moritz Coaz-hut at the bottom of Il Chapütschin can be reached very fast. From middle-station Murtel over Fuorcla Surlej to the hut you will need a hike of 2 or maybe 2,5 hours.

If you asend from Pontresina (ca. 1.800m, some km east of St. Moritz) you can reach Coaz-hut by ascending Roseg-valley over Hotel Roseggletscher in about 4,5 hours.

Red Tape


Pontresina has a chargeable parking place for longtime-stays (ca. 5 Sfr. a day).

When To Climb


The mountain is usually visited in the summer months from end of june to September. It can also be ascended on the normal route in winter by ski.

Camping


There are camping-places in St. Moritz, Silvaplana and Pontresina.
In the mountain-range of the Bernina Alps camping is not allowed. But there are several huts to stay over night.

Accomodation


  • Chamanna Coaz (Coaz-hut), 2.610 m
    SAC section Rätia, 7000 Chur
    Optimal starting point for Il Chapütschin.
    2,5 hours from middlestation Murtel of Corvatsch-Ropeway from Silvaplana.
    4 - 5 hours from Pontresina over Hotel Roseggletscher
    80 places
    Opened in summer from mid of June until mid of October,
    Winter: from beginning of March until mid of May and as agreed
    Tel. +41 81 842 62 78
    e-mail: info@coaz.ch

  • Surlej-hut, 2.755 m
    at Fuorcla da Surlej near middle-station of Corvatsch-Ropeway
    20 beds, 40 couches
    Opened mid / end of June to mid of October and during winter-season
    Tel. +41 (0)81 842 63 03

  • Chamanna da Tschierva (Tschierva-hut), 2.573 m
    SAC Section Bernina, 7500 St. Moritz
    100 places
    Opened mid / end of June to mid of October,
    in spring adress a question to one of the following tel-numbers:
    Tel. +41 81 842 63 91 (hut),
    Tel. +41 81 833 02 64 ,
    mobile +41 79 307 57 87

  • Hotel Roseggletscher, 1.998 m
    Val Roseg CH-7504 Pontresina
    Opened from Whitsunday to October and from Christmas to Easter.
    Double and single rooms, family rooms (26 beds).
    Group camps (90 couches).
    Tel +41 081 842 64 45
    Fax +41 081 842 68 86
    E-Mail: info@roseggletscher.ch

Guides and maps


Guides in German language:
  • Berninagruppe, "Gebietsführer für Wanderer, Bergsteiger und Hochalpinisten" (German language)
    author: Günter Flaig
    Bergverlag Rother, Munich 1997
    not available at the time (2005)

  • Pierino Guiliani: Bündner Alpen, Band 5, Bernina
    SAC-guide (SAC = Alpine Club of Switzerland). Comprehensive presentation of all routes in the region of Bernina and Valposhiavo.
    new edition is to be published. ISBN: 3-85902-212-1

Maps:




Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Bernina GroupMountains & Rocks