Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Activities Activities: Hiking, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 7349 ft / 2240 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

 

A closeup of Rauhhorn summit with Hochvogel and - right - the Hornbach range in the background
A closeup of Rauhhorn summit with Hochvogel and - right - the Hornbach range in the background

 

 

Rauhhorn is an impressive rock summit within the Vilsalpsee mountains of Allgäu Alps and the third highest peak of this subgroup. Located between Gaishorn to the north and Kugelhorn to the south, Rauhhorn offers an interesting traverse route and is worth a visit.

The German / Austrian border runs along the north and south ridge of the mountain. The western / German side of the mountain is bordered by the beautiful Hinterstein valley. On the eastern side is located the equally beautiful Vilsalp valley with Vilsalp lake, one of the most beautiful alpine lakes and thus mostly very crowded.

Rauhhorn however requires some easy rock climbing abilities, thus this summit is less visited than neighbouring Gaishorn or the famous Schrecksee area south of the summit. Schrecksee, another alpine lake, is truly one of the most beautiful places of Allgäu Alps and thus crowded, too. To save this area from destructive impacts (e.g. people feasting on the lake shore day and night) activities around Schrecksee are strictly limited nowadays. Rangers control the area and heavy fines are given out when there are violations of the applicated rules.

Rauhhorn
Rauhhorn
Rauhhorn
Rauhhorn

I found Rauhhorn a very nice and interesting outing and can highly recommend the full traverse of the mountain, wether coming from the German or from the Austrian side of the peak.

Getting There

German trailheads:

  • Hinterstein – parking area “Auf der Höh
  • Kraftswerk Auele

Austrian trailhead:

  • Vilsalpsee

You reach the German trailheads:

by car

  • Using highway A 96 from Munich directions or A 7 from Ulm directions to the town of Kempten.
  • Go on highway number A 980 to the exit “Waltenhofen” and follow road number B 19 to the exit “Sonthofen”.
  • Turn on road number B 308 to Bad Hindelang. At the village entrance turn on Ostrach Straße (signposts for Hinterstein) and follow this road to Hinterstein village.
  • Traverse the whole village until you reach the parking area “Auf der Höh” at the southern end of Hinterstein (public road closed furtheron). The parking fee in 2021 was expensive: 10 €! There are several more parking areas within the village, all between 8 and 10 € for a day.

The parking area “Auf der Höh” is the trailhead for the ascent via Willersalpe.

  • For the ascent via Schrecksee take the shuttle bus service between parking area “Auf der Höh” and “Giebelhaus” to the bus stop “Kraftwerk Auele” (another 4 € per person). The shuttle bus schedule can be seen here.

Public transportation

The next railway station is Sonthofen. Change there in bus number 48 to Hinterstein via Bad Hindelang.

Vilsalpsee, the autrian trailhead to Rauhhorn, as seen from Hintere Schafwanne col
Vilsalpsee, the autrian trailhead to Rauhhorn, as seen from Hintere Schafwanne col
Rauhhorn and the south ridge as seen from Kugelhorn summit, Gaishorn behind
Rauhhorn and the south ridge as seen from Kugelhorn summit, Gaishorn behind

You reach the Austrian trailhead Vilsalpsee:

by car

  • From Germany go to Bad Hindelang as described above. Follow road number B 308 to Oberjoch and the German/Austrian border.
  • Follow there the Austrian road number 199 to Tannheim.
  • From Austria use road number 199 from Weißenbach / Lechtal valley to Tannheim.
  • At Tannheim turn on road Vilsalpseestraße to the seaside parking area (daily fee is 7 € in 2021). However this road is closed to public traffic between 8 and 17 o´clock every day. Other parking areas (daily fee is 5 € in 2021) are at Tannheim and between Tannheim and Vilsalpsee. There is a bus shuttle between Tannheim and Vilsalpsee.

Public transportation

The nearest railway station is Reutte. Take bus number 120 from Reutte/Untermarkt to Tannheim center. Use the bus shuttle service to Vilsalpsee.

 

Routes Overview

Willersalpe valley, one of the German ascent routes to Rauhhorn
Willersalpe valley, one of the German ascent routes to Rauhhorn
On the route to Rauhhorn via Schrecksee
On the route to Rauhhorn via Schrecksee

Germany:

Trailhead Hinterstein, Parking area Auf der Höh

  • Follow the signposts to Willersalpe first on a trail then on a forest road and the signed short cuts up to Willersalpe (trail number 423).
  • Take the right hand trail (“Jubiläumsweg”) at Willersalpe in many zigzags up to the col “Vordere Schafwanne” (trail number 424).
  • Turn right there and follow the trail to the summit rocks of Rauhhorn. Climb these rocks on the marked route. At the summit block there is the secured crux of the route, a short, slightly overhanging part (5 meters) up to an exposed ledge. After that shortly to the summit.
Schrecksee as seen from the trail to Hintere Schafwanne and Rauhhorn
Schrecksee as seen from the trail to Hintere Schafwanne and Rauhhorn
Rauhhorn south ridge and - below - Hintere Schafwanne col
Rauhhorn south ridge and - below - Hintere Schafwanne col

Trailhead Hinterstein, Kraftwerk Auele (bus stop)

  • Ascend steeply Taufersbach valley from the bus stop to the small dammed lake of Taufersbach. Follow the main trail into Taufers valley and in some wide zigzags up to Schreck Alm hut and the Schrecksee lake. There are two options:
    • Take the trail in eastern direction to a trail junction, stay right, climb Kirchendachsattel. Take the unmarked track to the north, climbing and traversing Knappenkopf and Kugelhorn and descend Kugelhorn north ridge (short rock scramble) to the col “Hintere Schafwanne”.
    • Alternatively stay left at the trail junction above Schrecksee, follow the trail number 424 to the north (“Jubiläumsweg”) directly to “Hintere Schafwanne”.
  • At “Hintere Schafwanne” stay north and climb Rauhhorn south ridge, first mainly on a trail with some rock scramble then more rock climbing (grade I in parts and exposed), at last over some foresummits to the cross summit.

Both routes can be linked together to a great loop.

Lower part of Rauhhorn south ridge route
Lower part of Rauhhorn south ridge route
The rock part (not secured) of Rauhhorn south ridge route
The rock part (not secured) of Rauhhorn south ridge route
The upper part of Rauhhorn south ridge route
The upper part of Rauhhorn south ridge route
The uppermost south ridge route of Rauhhorn
The uppermost south ridge route of Rauhhorn

Austria:

Trailhead Tannheim / Vilsalpsee

Circle round Vilsalpsee lake to Vilsalpe.Take the right hand trail number 424 up to Vordere Schafwanne col or, at a trail junction halfway up, alternatively go left to Hintere Schafwanne col (Jubiläumsweg, number 424). Climb Rauhhorn from these cols as described above. Loop route possible.

The secured rock part of the north ridge route to Rauhhorn
The secured rock part of the north ridge route to Rauhhorn
The short secured overhang of the north ridge route to Rauhhorn
The short secured overhang of the north ridge route to Rauhhorn

1 ½ day traverse around Vilsalpsee

This is an interesting outing which is done as follows:

  • First day: Ascend from Vilsalpsee on trail number 425 to Landsberger Hütte (alpine club hut). Stay the night there.
  • Second day: Follow trail number 421 to Westliches Lachenjoch, Kastenjoch and Kirchendachjoch. Traverse Knappenkopf / Kugelhorn to Hintere Schafwanne. Traverse Rauhhorn to Vordere Schafwanne. Traverse to Gaishorn and descend to Vilsalpsee via Feldalpe and Obere Roßalpe. Epic day!
The lower part of the north ridge route as seen from Vordere Schafwanne col
The lower part of the north ridge route as seen from Vordere Schafwanne col
Rauhhorn summit with the upper part of the north ridge route
Rauhhorn summit with the upper part of the north ridge route

Red Tape & Accommodation

Red Tape

The German part of Rauhhorn is a national park (Nationalpark Allgäuer Hochalpen).

The Austrian part of the mountain belongs to the nature protection area “Vilsalpsee”.

There are no entrance fees or entrance limitations for these protected areas but some rules to follow:

 

National Park Rules
National Park Rules

 

 

This area is a part of the Alps with a very high flora and faune diversity. Please respect the rules and enjoy this protected area.

Rauhhorn summit as seen from the southern foresummit
Rauhhorn summit as seen from the southern foresummit
Looking down from Rauhhorn foresummit to Kugelhorn, Schrecksee lake and the main ranges of Allgäu Alps
Looking down from Rauhhorn foresummit to Kugelhorn, Schrecksee lake and the main ranges of Allgäu Alps

Accommodation

Germany:

Bad Hindelang

Hinterstein

Sonthofen

Austria:

Tannheim

 

Mountain huts:

Willersalpe

Landsberger Hütte

Gear & Mountain Condition

Rauhhorn can be climbed normally from late spring through autumn, depending on the snow conditions. It is a hike which requires some easy rock climbing abilities up to UIAA grade I in partly exposed terrain. Only short parts of the rock climb are secured with steel ropes.

A helmet can be useful. With snow and ice crampons and an ice axe can be necessary.

Summit viwe from Rauhhorn to the south
Summit viwe from Rauhhorn to the south

Weather condition:

Valley weather: Hinterstein / Germany

Mountain weather Rauhhorn

 

Maps

You need several Alpenverein maps to cover the whole region:

Alpenvereinskarte Bayerische Alpen, number BY 5, Tannheimer Berge, Köllenspitze, Gaishorn

Scale 1 : 25000

with trails and ski routes, UTM grid,

 

Alpenvereinskarte Bayerische Alpen, number BY 4, Allgäuer Hochalpen, Hochvogel, Krottenkopf

Scale 1 : 25000

with trails and ski routes, UTM grid,

And

Alpenvereinskarte Bayerische Alpen, number BY 3, Allgäuer Voralpen Ost, Grünten, Wertacher Hörnle

Scale 1 : 25000

with trails and ski routes, UTM grid

Rauhhorn as seen from Gaishorn summit, Hochvogel in the background
Rauhhorn as seen from Gaishorn summit, Hochvogel in the background