Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 40.83490°N / 111.7176°W
Additional Information Elevation: 8954 ft / 2729 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Lookout Peak is one of the higher summits located among the foothills north-east of the Salt Lake Valley. The summit is located on the ridge dividing Mountain Dell Canyon to the east, City Creek Canyon to the west, and Emigration Canyon to the south.

Although considerably lower in elevation than many of the more prominent peaks along the Wasatch front range, Lookout Peak still rises over 4000 feet above the Salt Lake valley, as well as most of the surrounding area.

The summit provides excellent views into Emigration Canyon, the upper reaches of City Creek Canyon, large portions of the Salt Lake valley, and many of the Wasatch front range mountains.

Lookout Peak is located in the Wasatch National Forest.

USGS 1:24,000 Quad:

  • Mountain Dell, Utah


    Getting There

    There are three primary trailheads which can be used for an ascent of Lookout Peak.

    Mountain Dell Canyon
    From I-80 take the East Canyon exit and proceed north on Utah Highway 65 for 5.1 miles to the Afflek Park picnic area. See the 'Red Tape' section for additional information.

    Killyon Canyon
    From I-80 take the East Canyon exit and proceed north on Utah Highway 65 for 2.2 miles. Turn left on Emigration Canyon road and proceed approximately 4 miles to the Pinecrest Canyon road. Follow Pinecrest Canyon road approximately 0.4 miles to a fork in the road. Take the right fork which heads into Killyon canyon, and proceed another 0.5 miles to the trailhead.

    City Creek Canyon
    Follow State Road 89 up past the Capitol Building to the mouth of the canyon. Entry into the canyon is subject to certain restrictions; see the 'Red Tape' section for additional information.

    See the 'Routes' section for details on ascending the peak from the Mountain Dell, Killyon Canyon, and the Black Mountain (west) Ridge routes.

    The City Creek Canyon route will be added at a later date.


    Red Tape

    During the winter months Mountain Dell Canyon (Utah Highway 65) is gated shut approximately 1.5 miles south of the Afflek Park picnic area. This will require parking outside the gate and walking to the trailhead, which will add an additional 3 miles R/T to the hike.

    There are a number of private homes in lower Killyon Canyon near the trailhead. Please show consideration and repect the rights of the property owners.

    City Creek Canyon is open to motor vehicles on even-numbered calendar days and legal holidays only. There is currently an entry fee of $3.00 per vehicle. Bicycles are permitted in the canyon on odd-numbered calendar days only. There is no entry fee for bicycles. Pedestrians are permitted in the canyon year-round, with no entry fee.

    Refer to the City Creek Canyon website or phone (801) 596-5065 for additional information.

    When To Climb

    For fair weather hikers the summit is probably free of snow by mid-May most years, and will remain so until the first significant snowfall. The peak can also be climbed year round by ski or snowshoe, but will typically require considerably more effort.

    Camping

    There are no established campgrounds in the vicinity. However, this hike will typically require a half-day or less to complete.

    Mountain Conditions

    The 7-day forecast below is for the Wasatch Front valleys - expect considerably colder and more severe weather in the mountains.
    Northern Wasatch 7-Day Forecast

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-2 of 2
SabineInUtah

SabineInUtah - Jun 28, 2018 7:32 pm - Hasn't voted

Mountain Dell route from Afleck Park Campground

From Mountain Dell, the beginning of the trail is from the Afleck Park Campground (not a picnic area), a large campground managed by the Watershed and gated. Can only get in with prior reservation. Park just up the road from the gated entrance to the campground and walk down a non-maintained trail into the campground. At site #36, there is a trail leading up to Lookout Peak.

Moogie737

Moogie737 - Nov 3, 2023 2:29 pm - Voted 10/10

Getting to the trail

When you park as explained by SabineinUtah there is a trail right there which leads down to a sturdy steel bridge and then to a trail which leads west slightly above CG site #37. Follow this trail as it gently rises to the west and very soon you will come to a junction at which point you turn right and go straight up. By going straight up you are actually now on the trail which leads up from site #36 in the CG.

Viewing: 1-2 of 2


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.