Tuc de Còlomers

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 42.58342°N / 0.93340°E
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Ice Climbing, Mixed, Scrambling, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 9623 ft / 2933 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Lakes of Colomers from the Port de CaldèsFrom Port de Caldès
Circo de Colomers from the Tuc de SalanaFrom Tuc de Salana
Circo de Colomers, lake Estany LongEstany Long
Circo de Colomers, Obago lake, largestObago lake, largest
From the top of Tuc Blanc de Colomers, looking West to the Punta Alta and the BesiberrisSummit view

If you heard about the Pyrenees and the famous "cirques" (fr.) / "circos" (sp.), you probably know Gavarnie, and perhaps you heard also about Còlomers.
Like the first one, Circo de Còlomers takes its name from its shape of wide amphitheater, but the similarities stop here; Còlomers is about as granitic and full of lakes as Gavarnie is limestone and sharp.
The Circo de Còlomers is ended on the south by a very imposant mountain, Tuc de Còlomers.

Tuc de Còlomers is indeed a complex mountain that gathers several distinct tops.
There is the Gran Tuc de Còlomers, main summit, at 2933m, and the Tuc Blanc de Còlomers, 2876m, very close to each other, separated by a complicated saddle, that can be passed with some acrobatic scrambling.
While Tuc Blanc is directly accessible from Circo de Còlomers, Grand Tuc requires a diversion by its southern slope, or via those scrambles.

Most of the People wo visit the "Circo de Còlomers", tend to climb Tuc Blanc, shorter of access and providing an equally rewarding view to the lakes.
On the other hand, other hikers reaching the area from the south and the Vall de Boí rather seek the main top.

Due to the fact the mountain is distant from any other in the surrounding, both of these two tops provide the same exhilarating feeling of being on some three-thousander, despite the Tuc de Còlomers misses this official status for a story of few meters. Which is indeed an advantage for those looking for quietness !
Sunrise on the Circo de ColomersSunrise on the Circo de Còlomers

Getting There

On the way to the <a href= http://www.feec.org/Informacio%20Gral/Refugis/refugi.php?idRef=311 >Colomers hut</a>Morning approach
From the top of Tuc Blanc de Colomers, looking NorthLooking down
Lac Major de ColomersLac Major from Còlomers hut
Small marsh on the way to the <a href= http://www.feec.org/Informacio%20Gral/Refugis/refugi.php?idRef=311 >Colomers hut</a>On the way to the hut
Circo de Colomers, lake Estany ClòtoEstany Clòto
Tuc Blanc de Colomers from the west half of the Circo de ColomersMorning walk

Circo de Còlomers is located in the only region of the central Pyrenees that belongs to Spain, but located on the north of the water dividing line: Val d'Aran. The historical and cultural backround of this area is very interesting, but would take too much space here.
In short, let's say that Val d'Aran (then Circo de Còlomers) is best reached from France, while ther Boi valley from Spain.

From France and the city of Toulouse, take the A64 motorway and exit at Montréjeau, take the direction of Saint Béat, Vielha, and the village of Tredos. From there, a track leads to Bahn de Tredós where is located a car park. The rest of the track is closed during the high season and 4x4 taxis ensure the rest of the way till the end of the track, on the foot of the trail heading to the Còlomers hut.

From Spain and the city of Lérida, take the 230 road to Benabarre, Pont de Suert, and Vall de Boí. Don't miss the splendid churches with high towers that make the pride of the valley.

Both starting points can be reached via the other country by taking the tunnel of Vielha.


View Larger Map

Routes

On the way to the <a href= http://www.feec.org/Informacio%20Gral/Refugis/refugi.php?idRef=311 >Colomers hut</a>Winter approach
Pico de Travessani, on the way to the <a href= http://www.feec.org/Informacio%20Gral/Refugis/refugi.php?idRef=311 >Colomers hut</a>Lakes...
Pico de Travessani, on the way to the <a href= http://www.feec.org/Informacio%20Gral/Refugis/refugi.php?idRef=311 >Colomers hut</a>Lakes...

Pico de Travessani, on the way to the <a href= http://www.feec.org/Informacio%20Gral/Refugis/refugi.php?idRef=311 >Colomers hut</a>Lakes...
On the way to the Pic de Travessani; view to Pic deth Port.Pico de Travessani
From the top of Tuc Blanc de Colomers, looking East and Pico de la RatèraPico de la Ratèra

The Tuc Blanc de Còlomers is best reached from the Circo de Còlomers.
Circo de Còlomers is in fact divided into two halfs, between which lie a small long peaklet, Tuc de Podo.
The route to climb Tuc Blanc de Còlomers, on the rocky slopes, is quite obvious once we passed this Tuc de Podo.
Both halfs of the Circo de Còlomers are beautiful, and different, so the visit is better made by making a loop. You will see more small lakes in the West half, while the East one contains the largests. The route that goes around the whole circ is precisely described in the page of Circ de Còlomers circular trail.

Gran Tuc de Còlomers can also be reached by the east half of the Circo.
From Obago lake, head in the direction of the lake Estanh de Ratèra, until the pass Portau de Còlomers (2729m). Once on the south side, the East slope of Gran Tuc de Còlomers offers accessible routes to the top.
This route can be reached from the Val de Boi (more precisions will be welcome if anyone made it)

More informations on the excellent site of Philippe Queinnec :

http://philrando.free.fr/Aiguestortes.html


Note : Pico Ratèra (2840m, E) and Pico de Travessani (2755m, W) are 2 another interesting mountains that border Circo de Còlomers and that can be climbed during the same visit of the area.
Another more modest viewpoint is the Tuc de Salana (2483), fine top for winter, that offers an interesting panorama also on the Montardo

Red Tape

Bahn de Tredós in winterBahn de Tredós in winter
Circo de Colomers, lake Estany LongEstany Long

The south of the peak (but only the south) is located into the area of the
Aigüestortes National Park, with all regulations involved (no flowers picking, etc etc)
Sunrise, on the way to the <a href= http://www.feec.org/Informacio%20Gral/Refugis/refugi.php?idRef=311 >Colomers hut</a>Morning walk...

Camping

Gran Tuc de ColomersGran Tuc & Tuc Pòdo
Gran Tuc de Colomers and Pic BlancGran Tuc & Tuc Blanc
The Colomers RidgeCòlomers ridge
Gran Tuc de Colomers and Pic BlancEstanh Gelat

* Campsites

Some old maps mention a campsite at Bahn de Tredós. Beware, this campsite doesn't exist since more than a decade ago !
The closest official campsites are in Artiès (North) or Barruera, Vall de Boí (South).

* Mountain huts

The only convenient mountain hut seems to be the Refugi Còlomers, at the low end of the Circo de Còlomers :
http://www.refugicolomers.com/

* Bivouacking

It depends on the side of the mountain. As mentionned, the south slope lies in the National park, then the rules are probably more strict (if not forbidden ?). However, I think it is rarely controled. If you plan to, choose a remote and not very visible corner, set the tent or bags at dusk and leave in the early morning. Don't leave any trace or rubbish.
No fire (for the fire risk, but the also the risk to be caught).
And do not wildcamp during the day...

External Links

Pico de Travessani, on the way to the <a href= http://www.feec.org/Informacio%20Gral/Refugis/refugi.php?idRef=311 >Colomers hut</a>Lakes are...
Swimming in the lake of Colomersalso for swimming ! :)

Read about Carros de Foc !

http://www.carrosdefoc.com/eng/

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-7 of 7
Rafa Bartolome

Rafa Bartolome - Jul 20, 2009 7:31 am - Voted 10/10

coordinates of summit

according with my map of editorial Alpina: 42.58342 0.93340 nice page and nice peak

visentin

visentin - Jul 20, 2009 8:26 am - Hasn't voted

Re: coordinates of summit

thanks ! sometimes it's hard to recognize exactly the place where is a peak with the little google-map applet in SP... Don't hesitate to add some Colomers pictures ! I was surprised there was not more on SP already..

Rafa Bartolome

Rafa Bartolome - Jul 21, 2009 5:00 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: coordinates of summit

I'll search some images, but I only visited 2 times the area, and I don't climb peaks in Aiguestortes, it's too far from my home to climb in a week-end. It's not a suprise, a lot of important mountains of areas as Aran-Aigüestortes, Andorra, Couserans, Haute-Ariège, Cerdanya, Canigou, Puigmal... don't appears in SP because I can't trip in only 2 days to climb it. Nobody writes to SP in these zones. thanks for the page

visentin

visentin - Jul 22, 2009 2:07 am - Hasn't voted

Re: coordinates of summit

I'll try to submit more mountains in the area ! I can sumbit : Marimanha/Baciver, Tuc de Vielha, Tossal de Mar, Sarrahèra. Further east, I have never been too... (too far, like for you !) I'll also try to submit the Turon de Néouvielle and the Hourgade in a near future, these are 2 major peaks really missing on SP

Rafa Bartolome

Rafa Bartolome - Jul 30, 2009 1:01 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: coordinates of summit

I climbed Turon de Néouvielle and Trois Conseillers the last week from Refuge de la Glère. It's a fantastic peak with a wide landscape. I'll write the page in the next weeks. I'll write to you then and you'll can add your images to this nice peak. I climbed as well Crabonouse and Bugarret but are less important for the moment to make a page. I think that's the order of my next pages: Sotllo, Montcalm, Refuge de la Glère, Turon de Néouvielle, Trois Conseillers. If you write the Pico del Puerto de Vielha o Tuc deth Port de Vielha (you know I prefer the original name) I have a lot of images of my climb.

visentin

visentin - Jul 31, 2009 2:23 am - Hasn't voted

Re: coordinates of summit

For now I'll be away for 3 weeks in France ! So I doubt I have time for new pages.. One of my last ideas (because I tend also to look for peaks on which I, plus other SPers, have significant amount of pictures), was Pico de Pineta (Pic de Pinède). I also thought about making Turon, but the present pics on SP are very scarce, and mine are a bit old and small. But if you make it I'll try to add them possibly today ! If you don't mind, I will also "book" the idea of the route of the 3 Conseillers ridge to the Néouvielle Peak :)

Rafa Bartolome

Rafa Bartolome - Jul 31, 2009 12:09 pm - Voted 10/10

Re: coordinates of summit

Great! teh ridge Trois Conseillers is great. I don't climb it but it's a classic rock-climb. I added some images last days taken from the Pic de Trois Conseillers in the page of Néouvielle

Viewing: 1-7 of 7


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.