UN 12628, "N 1" "North Snowdon"

UN 12628, "N 1" "North Snowdon"

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 37.71600°N / 107.6842°W
Additional Information County: San Juan
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 12628 ft / 3849 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

N 1 and Snowdon Peak
"N 1" and Snowdon Peak

This un-named Twelver is alternately unofficially known also as “N 1” or “North Snowdon,” a pleasant smaller companion peak to Snowdon Peak (13077 ft). The old mining town of Silverton, Colorado can be viewed from the summit. This mountain affords the visitors amazing views of the Grenadier Range to the east and the Needles Range to the southeast. “N 1” itself anchors the northernmost end of the the West Needle Range). Mellow in character compared to other mountains in this neighborhood, the summit of “N 1” can be reached with no greater challenge than a Class 2 tundra hop / boulder scamper.

Colorado Rank: “N 1” is a soft ranked peak, which basically means there is no confirmed 300-ft variance between its summit and the lowest point of the saddle with its next highest neighbor.
Prominence: 288 feet
USGS Quad: Snowdon Peak
Planning Map: Trails Illustrated #140 Weminuche Wilerness

Rank & Prominence: Lists of John

Sarah Simon on N1
Sarah Simon near the summit of N1 (UN12,628) | Kiefer Thomas

Getting There

 
Snow on slopes of  N 1
Snow on slopes of "N 1"
 
Heading up  N 1
Heading up "N 1"
 
Approaching  N 1  from the southwest
Approaching "N 1" from the southwest
 
Silverton from  N 1
Silverton from "N 1"



Andrews Lake Trailhead 10,800 feet

14 miles south of Silverton; 53 miles north of Durango on U.S. 550 and about 1 mile south of Molas Pass, head south on the access road for Andrews Lake. Trailhead is 2 WD accessible in dry conditions; 4x4 needed in snow.

Molas Pass Trailhead 10,000 feet
13 miles south of Silverton, 54 miles north of Durango on U.S. 550 and about 1 mile north of Molas Pass, turn east into the Molas Lake access road. Plenty of parking is available at the trailhead.

Kiefer heading up the gully
Kiefer making his way up the gully between Snowdon Peak and "N 1" | 9 Nov 2013

 

Route

Route Overview Map
This route map outlines two primary approach options to the summit of "N 1" 

I provide here a high-level overview of route options to reach the summit of “N 1.” I encourage other members to submit more detailed route pages and/or trip reports outlining route details.

From Andrews Lake
•Roundtrip Distance: 6 miles
•Elevation Gain: 1900 feet
•YDS: 2
•This would be considered the standard / more heavily traveled route

From Molas Pass / Molas Lake
•Roundtrip Distance: 9-11 miles depending on parking
•Elevation Gain: Approximately 3000
•YDS: Unknown
•Involves a crossing of Molas Creek

In the upper gully
In the upper gully

Mad Scientist
Mad climber scientist

Almost to the top
Almost to the top

Kiefer on the summit of  N 1
Kiefer on summit


Red Tape

N 1 summit pano
This pano gives a small taste of the scenery from the summit of "N 1"


Grenadier ViewsGrenadier Views
Needle MountainsNeedle Mountains
There are no use or parking fees to access this area and permits are not required for day use. “N 1” resides within the Weminuche Wilderness so motorized and mechanized vehicles are prohibited and dogs must be leashed.

Please practice Leave No Trace principals:

1. Plan Ahead and Prepare
2. Travel and Camp on Durable Surfaces
3. Dispose of Waste Properly
4. Leave What You Find
5. Minimize Campfire Impacts
6. Respect Wildlife

Weather and Seasons

Raven below N 1
This raven was posing for us during our descent from "N 1"
Find more about Weather in Silverton, CO
Click for weather forecast

Summer in the San Juans is heavenly, with warm sunny daysand cool, crisp nights.  Mid-summerwildflowers will knock your socks off. As with the other mountainous areas of Colorado, the afternoonthunderstorms mean summertime hikers need to leave the summit by noon.  The San Juans are well-known for thawing outlater than other parts of Colorado; it is not uncommon for an ice axe to berequired year-round on certain routes.

The town of Silverton and surrounding mountainsreceive massive amounts of snowfall in the winter months.  Avalanche chutes abound in the area; in thesummer, the wounds from the previous snow-season’s avalanche activity areevident.  Exercise prudent snow sense inthese mountains when snow cover is present.
Find more about Weather in Silverton, CO
Click for weather forecast

Day's End
Autumn sunset in the San Juan Mountains

Camping and Lodging

East face of  N 1 East face of "N 1"
 N 1  from the south"N 1" from the south
Snowdon PeakSnowdon Peak
Views from the topViews from the top

Established National Forest Campgrounds
The South Mineral Campground is about 6 miles from Silverton. The campground has 26 sites, available on a first-come, first-served basis. At 9,800 feet elevation, even summer nights will be chilly. To get there, drive two miles west of Silverton to Forest Road 585. Follow FR 585 west along the creek for four miles to the campground entrance. The facilities provide picnic tables, composting vault toilets, fire grates, trash disposal and potable water.

San Juan National Forest campground map


Commercial Campgrounds
Silverton hosts at least three commercial campgrounds offering services such as RV hookup, snacks and showers. These include Silverton Lakes Camper Park, Silver Summit RV Park and Red Mountain RV Park. Additional RV parks can be found by visiting the Silverton Magazine online lodging guide.

Cabins, Cottages, Hotels and Bed & Breakfasts
The lodging in and around Silverton could be described as “limited” and “eclectic”. Many are family owned and operated and tend toward the friendly and cozy, versus the sophisticated or luxurious. The Silverton Magazine provides a good online lodging guide.

External Links

Feel free to notify me of any external trip reports or other useful information pertinent to this peak to add here.

Sunset Cloud
The sun setting in the San Juans during our outhike from "N 1" | 9 Nov 2013



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.