Boynton Canyon Trail

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 34.90760°N / 111.84862°W
Additional Information Route Type: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: Hike on Trail
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Boynton Canyon Trail is a popular hiking trail near Sedona, AZ. The trail is 3.2 miles long. It goes up Boynton Canyon and then gets into a branch of the canyon where it dead ends at the base of a wall on Bear Mountain. The canyon is forested but you will still have great views of the surrounding walls and spires.

On weekends, you are likely to see many other hikers on this trail. The parking area at the trailhead can fill up fast so get an early start.






Map
Map


Getting There

From the intersection of Routes 89A and 179 (The “Y”) in Sedona, drive 3 miles west on Route 89A to Dry Creek Road. Turn right (north) onto Dry Creek Road and drive roughly 3 miles to reach a T. Turn left onto Boynton Pass Road and drive to reach another T. Turn right and go 200 yards to the signed parking area.






Snake
Snake on the trail


Route Description









Place
Elevation
Distance
Trailhead
4530 ft
zero miles
End
5200 ft
3.2 miles



The beginnings of the trail are common to Boynton Canyon and Deadmans Pass Trails. Follow the signs at the trailhead and hike the trail 0.2 miles to a split. Left is Boynton Canyon.

Turn left and follow the trail a short distance. You will soon see a signed spur trail on the right side that takes you to a vista point at the base of a spire (this spire is one of the so called “vortexes” in Sedona area).





Vista Point/Vortex
Vista Point/Vortex


Continue straight on the main trail. Enchantment Resort sits on the floor of the canyon. The trail heads up the canyon along the edge of the resort (after 1.25 miles, the resort ends and you will have more of an “out in the nature” experience). Secret Mountain can be seen rising majestically at the northern end of the canyon.










Secret Mountain
Secret Mountain & Boynton Canyon
Lower Trail
 
Lower Trail
 
Lower Trail
 


As you go farther, the canyon becomes narrower and the forest becomes denser.















Upper Trail
 
Upper Trail
 
Upper Trail
 
Upper Trail
 
Upper Trail
 


The trail then goes into a branch of Boynton Canyon and dead ends at the base of a series of walls on Bear Mountain. A spur trail takes you steeply up the slope above the forest to give you good views of the surrounding walls.













End of Trail
 
End of Trail
 
Wall at the end of the Trail
Where the trail dead ends
End of Trail
 
Forest on Canyon Floor
Above forest


Essential Gear

Hiking equipment.

Weather

See the forecast for the town of Sedona, AZ.

Red Tape

You will need a Red Rock Parking Pass. See the link below:

http://www.redrockcountry.org/passes-and-permits/where-to-purchase.shtml

External Links

http://www.greatsedonahikes.com/boyntoncanyon/boyntoncanyon.html.