Clear Creek Canyon Ice Climbs (Colorado)

Clear Creek Canyon Ice Climbs (Colorado)

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 39.74666°N / 105.30499°W
Additional Information Route Type: Ice Climbing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: Varied
Additional Information Grade: I
Sign the Climber's Log

Approach

From Golden, drive (as if going towards Blackhawk) up highway 58. There are approx 3-4 diecent practice climbs within a short 20 minute drive of Denver. There are bolts for top roping many of these climbs (such as the route called 'Coors Lite') and there are a few folks who "maintain" and farm these climbs and attempt to make them as stout as possible for such a low elevation climb. All climbs are beyond Tunnel 2 and on left side of the road. There is one climb at "Mayhem Creek" on the right hand side of the road approx 12 miles up the canyon, When I have beta on this I will post it

UNDER CONSTRUCTION!!!

Work & Weather have prevented work on this page.


As soon as both time and weather allow this page will get a full face lift


Area #1



This Ice Fall is located at the intersection of Highway 58 & 6'th Avenue approx 500 yards south on the West side of the road

Walk from the bridge on the well worn trail south. Falls will be on your Right side (visible from road)

This fall has approx 6 different cascades to toy on.

Quality of ice really varries day by day but usually minimal worrie of ice blocks bashing your head from above

Specific Routes


Coors Lite WI2-3, M3-5

Clear Creek Canyon IceTopo map showing the location of the route 'Coors Lite'.

A nice two pitch ice fall that forms up in a gully near the Little Eiger sport climbing wall. This climb is rated a WI2-3 depending on conditions. The pilliar of ice that forms on the upper sections usually forms as a WI3+/4 route. The left section of the lower falls offers some mixed climbing, being rated at a WI3/M3. The routes described here are part of the 'Little Eiger' area, a rock wall that is climbed in the summer. As of Jan 14th, 2007, the ice is in, but not particularly thick. The upper section of both falls are still farily wet, and unless there is a cold snap, they will remain so for a while. Both pitches lead to bolted anchors, eliminating the need for V-threads. The lower fall consistes of a few tiers or bulges of ice that is approximately 30 meters tall. The upper section is also near 30 meters but it more vertical and will offer some more challenging route variations.

Lower Flow Clear Creek CanyonLower ice falls for 'Coors Lite'.

Upper FlowUpper ice falls for 'Coors Lite'.

Essential Gear

Ice Axes, Helmet, Crampons (semi or rigid), Rope, TR gear, Screws, Quickdraws (some climbs use bolts from sport routes and can be climbed in a 'sport' style)

Miscellaneous Info

If you have information about this route that doesn't pertain to any of the other sections, please add it here.

Current Conditions

As of Jan 14th, 2007, the ice is in, but not particularly thick. The upper section of both falls are still farily wet, and unless there is a cold snap, they will remain so for a while.

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.