Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 44.01120°N / 91.4512°W
Additional Information County: Trempealeau
Activities Activities: Hiking
Additional Information Elevation: 1190 ft / 363 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Eagle Bluff is located in the southeast corner of the park.  The south side of the bluff has an impressive cliff.  Eagle Bluff is the Perrot State Park highpoint and is one of three bluffs with over 300' of prominence in the park.

Getting There

From the north or northwest (from state park website), go south from Eau Claire on State Highway 93 about 53 miles. At Centerville, where Highway 93 turns east, go south on State Highway 35 (the Great River Road). Take Highway 35 about five miles to Trempealeau. In Trempealeau, Highway 35 becomes Main Street. Take Main Street south to First Street and turn right (west). In the park, First Street becomes South Park Road. Follow the signs to the park's various facilities and locations.

From the east or south (from state park website), take US Highway 53/State Highway 35 north from La Crosse. North of Holmen, turn left on Highway 35 where it splits from Highway 53. Take Highway 35 about eight miles to Trempealeau.

Route

There are two relatively long east-west trails that can be accessed from the road or from the Perrot Ridge trail.  Take either of these trails to the saddle between Chicken Breast Bluff and Eagle Bluff.  Then head south to the summit.  There was a trailhead called the Little Bluff trail but I have no idea if Eagle Bluff can be accessed from the south without crossing private property.

Red Tape

There is a $7.00 fee to enter Perrot State Park and both of the east-west trails are cross-country ski only when the trails are groomed.  Either bring skis or bushwhack off trail if snowshoeing or hiking in the winter.

When to Climb

Winter is probably the best time hike Eagle Bluff since it is off trail and to avoid mosquitos but it is accessible year-round.

Camping

Perrot State Park has camping for a fee.

External Links