El Toro (Southwest Peak)

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 18.27410°N / 65.8296°W
Activities Activities: Hiking
Additional Information Elevation: 3524 ft / 1074 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

La MinaLa Mina

El Toro is the highest peak in the Sierra de Luquillo of eastern Puerto Rico. This range is famously known as El Yunque or Caribbean National Forest.

TopoZone Link

Located on the south end of the range and a bit of a longer hike, this peak is visited less often than Pico El Yunque which is visited by many tourists. This peak is one of the few prominent peaks on the island that is not developed and does not have any radio towers on the summit. It is also surrounded by tropical forest wilderness and is a great hike.

Sierra de LuquilloSierra de Luquillo

Getting There

Upper TrailThe trail

The summit is accessible from the west via El Toro National Recreational and from the north from PR-191 near the Monte Britton trailhead via the Trade Winds Trail.
El Yunque QuadrangleUSGS El Yunque


The trailhead of El Toro National Recreation Trail is off of PR-186. A small parking area off the side of the road is right next to a National Forest sign and is easy to find. An interpretive sign and map mark the beginning of the trail. The trail is 2 miles one way with 1500 feet of elevation gain.

Google Maps location of trailhead.

Recommended maps include:
  • MetroData Highway maps are the best maps of the island and are available at the airport and Walgreens
  • National Geographic Caribbean National Forest trail map




Red Tape

The trails and area are managed by El Yunque National Forest:

HC-01, Box 13490
Rio Grande, PR 00745-9625

(787) 888-1880

Video from the summit on a clear day (not mine):

Conditions

El Yunque has a tropical climate. Hot and humid days can be expected at all elevations any time of year. Mornings can be cool at the summits and a very light jacket is recommended for any early morning hikes. Water is essential, and rain gear is also highly recommended for long hikes and comfort.

San Juan Weather

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.