Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.63229°N / 105.29088°W
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 8335 ft / 2541 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

 

Distance: 1.88 mi (Round Trip)

Elevation Gain: 800 ft

Elevation : 8335ft

Managing Agency: Denver Mountain Parks

Fee: None

 

 

Independence Mountain in Pence Park is a short hike located in Morrison, Colorado. The trail is steep and short with good views into the Indian Peaks Wilderness, Denver and the surrounding foothills from the summit on a clear day. Expect a steep hike, but one that is family friendly and suitable for hikers of all levels. Trail conditions range from minor scrambling to dirt. The steeper sections of the trail can have loose dirt in the summer months which can be a pain in the ass to deal with.

 

Getting There

 

Directions:  Pence Park is a Denver Mountain Park up Bear Creek Canyon near Kittridge.  From Morrison take Bear Creek Road (74) west.  Pass Corwina Park, and O'Fallon Park and make a left (south) on Meyers Gulch Road.  Head up the hill and the trailhead and parking area will be on the right. 

Route

The trail up to Independence Peak starts from the parking area and switchbacks up the hill facing the parking lot.  The first part of the trail is clear but keep an eye out for a switchback to the left, but not the first left.  The first left takes you up to a small lookout and back to the parking lot.  Stay on the main trail and make the second left, this one a bit tricky to spot.  From here the trail climbs through dense forest crests the hill, and levels out.  About .5 mile in to the trail you'll come across an Aspen grove and a view of the rocky summit ahead.  The trail leads you to a rocky outcropping which you need to scramble up to reach the summit.  Once on top you a rewarded with a 360 degree view and a decent view of Mt. Evans.  Head back the same way you came.  You also have the option of adding the short loop I mentioned on your way back.

 

Red Tape

N/A

When to Climb

Year around.

Camping

Denver Mountain Park Rules and Regulations:

Park Rules & Policies

General Park Rules:

  1. Dogs and pets must be on a leash and under physical control at all times.
  2. Pet waste must be picked up and disposed of properly.
  3. No use or display of marijuana or the use of illegal drugs.
  4. No glass bottles or any glass containers allowed in parks.
  5. No littering. Use trash cans and dumpsters or pack it out.
  6. No weapons, firearms, or fireworks.
  7. Disturbing the peace, including loud music or sound, is prohibited.
  8. The sale of goods and services requires a Parks and Recreation Permit.
  9. No overnight camping, tents, enclosures, or other unpermitted structures such as air castles, pools, or water slides.
  10. Motorized vehicles allowed only on roads and in parking areas.
  11. Large gatherings normally require a permit. To reserve a permit site call Denver Parks and Recreation Permit Office at (720) 913-0700
  12. Any type of tree attachment, other than slack lines or hammocks, is prohibited. Any type of attachment to park structures is prohibited.
  13. Removal or damage to plants or structures is prohibited.
  14. Fires and coals are allowed in grills only. Grills must be least 12 inches off the ground.
  15. Thoroughly extinguish all charcoals, dispose of properly or pack it out.
  16. No feeding or disturbing wildlife. A license is required for fishing.
  17. Hand-launched watercraft are allowed on five lakes in Denver parks with required safety equipment. Find full location and equipment requirement details
  18. No swimming is allowed except in swimming pools.
  19. Swimming or wading in fountains is prohibited.
  20. Rock climbing and off-trail use are prohibited at Red Rocks and Summit Lake Parks.

 

External Links

https://fatmanlittletrail.com/2020/07/19/independence-trail-at-pence-park/

https://www.theoutbound.com/colorado/running/small-park-packs-a-big-punch

http://www.gohikecolorado.com/pence-park.html