Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.60520°N / 105.6329°W
Additional Information Elevation: 13307 ft / 4056 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview



Want to bag a 13er in about 20 minutes and not have it be a drive to the top like Evans? This could be the mountain for you. Warren sits between Spalding and Rogers Peak on a ridge that runs almost perpendicular to Evans and not very far from it. The Chicago Lakes are on Warren's north side and offer another approach via the Echo Lake Trailhead.

I don't know that that many people climb this one. Most go up the trail to Spalding or to Evans from Summit Lake but the parking lot at Summit Lake is only about a 20-30 minute second class scramble to the top of Warren. Like I said, it's not much of a challenge but it's an easy way to get to the top of a 13er. To make this one more of a challenge, start at Echo Lake Trailhead and hike in to Chicago Lakes and then up the southwest ridge of Warren. But you can also just head up towards the summit from Summit Lake or the Mt. Evans Road at any near point and enjoy a quick scramble up.

Getting There


From Denver take Highway 70 west to exit 240 (Highway 103) in Idaho Springs. Follow signs to Mt. Evans. For the Echo Lake approach, simply stop at Echo Lake. This gets you out of any fees. If you want to do the route from Summit Lake or the road, turn right at Echo Lake at the sign for the Mt. Evans Road and pay at the toll booth. Continue on the road to Summit Lake (well-marked).

Red Tape


There is a fee to drive in the Mt. Evans Road from Echo Lake.

When To Climb


Summer. Beware of afternoon thunderstorms. Best to climb early morning and be done by early afternoon. Not a problem with this one as it can be done in a short amount of time.

Camping


Camping is allowed on the mountain as long as you are half a mile from any road and 200 yards from water or trail.

Echo Lake Campground
877-444-6777

Mountain Conditions


Clear Creek Ranger District
303-567-3000

For weather conditions, check out 14ers.com site here.

Also, link here for Yahoo weather for nearby Idaho Springs, CO weather info.






External Links




Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.