Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.61560°N / 105.6176°W
Additional Information County: Clear Creek
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 13391 ft / 4082 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Sky Pilot and Alpine Cinquefoil, Rogers PeakSky Pilot and Alpine Cinquefoil, Rogers Peak
27 Jul 2008



A shy mountain residing northeast of Mount Evans (14,265 ft.), Rogers Peak is surely overlooked by many. Drivers on Mount Evans road speed by Rogers Peak, engines whining in the thin air, en route to the top of Mount Evans. Hikers departing Summit Lake for the Mount Spalding-Mount Evans circuit cast a glance at Rogers Peak over their right shoulder before beginning up Spalding’s east-facing ridge. Intrepid hikers plugging along their route from Echo Lake have not the time nor energy for Rogers Peak. Meanwhile, those pressed for time may steal a quick summit of nearby Mount Warren, but do not bother to push on to the summit of Rogers Peak.

Those who do make their way to the top of Rogers Peak find a quiet, lonesome summit standing in odd juxtaposition to the tourism-heavy atmosphere lingering around Mount Evans. A short, fun and rocky summit scramble over large broken blocks brings the hiker to a large and broad summit area capped by an up tilted final summit boulder begging the bold to strike the perfect Captain Morgan pose. Rogers Peak, so close to Mount Evans Road, yet so far from the crowds and chaos feels a bit like a well-kept secret sitting out in plain view.

Colorado Rank: 325th highest mountain in CO
Colorado 13ers Rank: 272nd highest 13er in CO
Mountain Range: Front
Prominence: Approximately 515 ft.
USGS Quad: Harris Park
Trails Illustrated Map: #104

Getting There & Route Overview

Rogers Peak shares the Mount Evans Wilderness with nearby neighbors Mount Evans, Mount Spalding, Gray Wolf Mountain, Epaulet Mountain and Mount Warren.
  • From I-70: Take Exit 240 in Idaho Springs. Follow Colorado Highway 103 (also called Squaw Pass Road) south to Echo Lake and Colorado Highway 5 (Mount Evans Road).

  • From Bergen Park: Take Colorado Highway 103 (Squaw Pass Road) west to Echo Lake and Colorado Highway 5 (Mount Evans Road).

RouteApproximate MileageApproximate Elevation GainSpecial NoteDriving Directions
Summit Lake3.5 miles roundtrip557 ft.Includes a warm-up summit of Mt. Warren (13,307 ft.)From Echo Lake, ascend Mount Evans Road. Just before mile marker 10 is Summit Lake. Turn right into the parking area.
Mount Goliath5 miles roundtrip1,710 ft.Includes an optional summit of Goliath Peak (12,216 ft.) From Echo Lake, ascend Mount Evans Road. Park at the Lowe Goliath Trailhead at the Goliath Peak Nature Center.
Echo Lake8 miles roundtrip2,794 ft.Takes the hiker into the lower reaches of Chicago Lakes basinJust west on Hwy 103 of the intersection with Hwy 5, park at Echo Lake.


Rogers Peak, three primary routesClick on map for larger view

Red Tape

Scrambling on Rogers PeakTypical scrambling conditions found on Rogers Peak.
27 Jul 2008
Looking toward Evans and SpaldingLooking towards Mount Evans (14,265 ft.) and Mount Spalding (13,842 ft.) from the summit plateau of Rogers Peak.
27 Jul 2008


• There is an amenity fee ($10.00 per vehicle for day use) to visit the Mount Evans Recreation area.
• Area. Follow LNT (Leave No Trace) principles.



Camping & Lodging

Rogers Peak from saddle with Mount WarrenRogers Peak from saddle
with Mount Warren (13,307 ft).
27 Jul 2008
Rogers Peak uplifted summit boulderThe uplifted summit boulder of Rogers Peak.
27 Jul 2008


Day visitors from the Denver area and even Ft. Collins and Colorado Springs may find lodging unnecessary.

Nearby campsites
  • Echo Lake Campground at the intersection of Hwy 103 and Hwy 5

  • West Chicago Creek Campground at the Hells Hole Trailhead at the end of Route 114 off Hwy 103.


Hotels
The town of Idaho Springs, at I—70 and Hwy 103, offers a variety of inns, B&Bs and motor lodges. Those who like to soak in hot springs after their hike may wish to explore Indian Hot Springs.

Weather & Seasons

The Mount Evans Road is typically open between the U.S. holidays of Memorial Day and Labor Day. This translates roughly into the last weekend in May through the first weekend in September. The road may be open to Summit Lake slightly earlier in the spring and slightly later in the fall than is the road to the summit of Mount Evans.

The approach from Echo Lake via Chicago Lakes basin should be approached with caution during snow season due to avalanche risk.

Zone Forecast for Idaho Springs, CO

External Links

Rogers Peak from Mount Warren summit plateauRogers Peak from Mount Warren summit plateau.
27 Jul 2008
Rocky summit plateau of Rogers PeakRocky summit plateau of Rogers Peak.
27 Jul 2008




Mount Evans Scenic Byway & Wilderness
Clear Creek Ranger District (Voice: 303-567-3000)


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.