Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 45.82990°N / 7.54730°E
Additional Information Elevation: 8586 ft / 2617 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Mont Meabe is situated between the Valtournenche and the St. Barthelemy Valley, in the same chain of Cima Longhede-Becca d'Aver, north side, closer to the Cervino. It'a a very easy walk up, the summit is not too high, but the exposition of the path (south), makes it hiking very early, as there is no more snow when others paths are still covered. The view from the top is magnificient; the whole Monte Rosa Group, the Cervino, all the summits of the Valtournenche, Saint Barthélemy Valley, and the most important of the central Aosta Valley.

First ascents

  • First on the Summit: Unknown.
  • In winter: Unknown.

Getting There

From Switzerland take the Gd. St. Bernhard Tunnel to get to Aosta. Motorway A5 Torino Aosta, either from Torino or from the Mont Blanc tunnel and exit Chatillon (Valtournenche). From Chatillon take R46 to Valtournenche. At Antey St. Andrè turn left, direction Torgnon, and follow the brown sign of the pic nic area of Chantorne'; after this area, continue till a white Chapel, and park the car a few meters after, when you will find a not asphalted road on your left.
 

Red Tape

No rescrictions at all.

When To Climb

Hiking, from May to October, even November if there is no snow; ski mountaneering: the way is very steep, ask locally the conditions.
 

Campings

In Aosta Valley you can camp only up 2.500 meters, to hike this mountain takes only a few hours.

Mountain Conditions

  • Meteo: you can find all the needed informations at the official site of the Valle d'Aosta Region:
  • Valle d'Aosta Meteo

Webcam

  • WEBCAM on Aosta Valley:
  • Webcam

Miscellaneous Info

When you come back, find the time to visit a pictoresque Church and the Museum in Triatel; follow the sign Etirol left side along the road, after Torgnon.
 

Books and Maps

BOOKS:
  • "Guida della Valpelline" de l'Abbè Joseph-Marie Henry - Societè Editrice Valdotaine 1925 II Edition e Collana Reprint Musumeci (1986).
  • "Guida dei Monti d'Italia - Alpi Pennine" (Vol. 2) di Gino Buscaini - Club Alpino Italiano/Turing Club Italiano, Luglio 1970 (In Italian).
  • "Diari Alpinistici" di Osvaldo Cardellina e Indice Generale accompagnato da Schedario Relazioni Ascensioni 1964-2019 (unpublished).
MAPS:
  • Kompass "Breuil/Cervinia-Zermatt" Carta turistica, 1:50.000.
  • I.G.C. Istituto Geografico Centrale "La Valpelline Valle di Ollomont Valle di Saint Barthélemy", (carta n° 115) 1:30.000.
  • Hapax "Les Sentiers" Luglio 2000, 1:25.000.
  • I.G.C. Istituto Geografico Centrale "Cervino Matterhorn Breuil Cervinia Champoluc", (carta n° 108) 1:25.000.
  • L'Escursionista "Gran San Bernardo Ollomont" Ed. Rimini (carta n° 5) 1:25.000.

Important Information

Useful numbers

  • Protezione Civile Valdostana località Aeroporto n° 7/A Saint Christophe (Ao) Tel. 0165-238222.
  • Bollettino Valanghe Tel. 0165-776300.
  • Bollettino Meteo Tel. 0165-44113.
  • Unità Operativa di Soccorso Sanitario Tel. 118.


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.