Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 34.01980°N / 116.17209°W
Activities Activities: Trad Climbing, Sport Climbing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview/Approach

Immaculate Conception, 5.9*
Dow leading Immaculate Conception, 5.9*

Road Block is an obscure destination at Joshua Tree, but located only minutes from the road.  It shares a col with Pep Boys Crag which is not a whole lot better known.  However, from a moderate route perspective, you can string together a decent amount of climbing by starting at the west end of Pep Boys on Fingertip Traverse of Josh, 5.8*, then continuing east to the col between Pep Boys and Road Block where you find Yabo Phone Home, 5.10c*, Yaborrhea, 5.8*, and Immaculate Conception, 5.9*,  and finishing at Glory Dome, Hope and Glory, 5.8*.   Miramontes guide calls this area Roadside Rocks which cover both sides of the main Park Blvd road just west of Intersection Rock. These objectives are located on the south side of the road.

At the first turnout west of Intersection Rock, park along the road and head south.  It should only take you five minutes to reach Road Block.  You are looking for a col between Pep Boys’ east end and Road Blocks' west end.  Hike up to the col and then scramble back left and up to a ledge.  Traverse the ledge right to the base of the obvious corner climb named Immaculate Conception which is pure trad.  Vanishing Point, 5.12b*, is a fully bolted route just to the left and the other two routes both have bolts on their lines further to the left.  All start on the same ledge at the same height and are approximately the same length to the top of the formation.  Vanishing Point has a fixed rap.

Route Descriptions, Right to Left facing the Northwest Wall

Immaculate Conception- 40’-5.9*/ Right across the col from Yabo on Pep Boys.  Scramble up to the left side of a ledge and walk the narrow ledge right to the base of the good looking varnished finger corner.  The crux is the first few meters up the thin corner.  Then mostly hands up and right on easier ground.  Medium gear belay.  Rap Vanishing Point.  Dow

Vanishing Point- 35'-5.12b*/

Ramming Speed- 35'-5.11d*/

Midnight Oil- 30'-5.11a*/



Related 

Friends

Related objects are relevant to each other in some way, but they don't form a parent/child relationship. Also, they don't necessarily share the same parent.