Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.86638°N / 105.43665°W
Additional Information County: Gilpin
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 10388 ft / 3166 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Tremont Mountain from the summit of Thorodin MountainTremont Mountain from the summit of Thorodin Mountain.

Tremont Mountain is the northernmost (and tallest) named summit in Golden Gate Canyon State Park, Colorado. Tremont Mountain resides in the northeastern corner of Gilpin County. Latitudinally, the peak is approximately half way between the cities of Boulder and Golden. Longitudinally, Tremont Mountain is about 1/3 of the way from Boulder to the Continental Divide.

Tremont Mountain's summit consists of a rocky outcropping with some simple scrambling that is required to reach the high point. Just east of the actual summit, three rocky buttresses form a north-south ridge that hold some rock climbing opportunities.

Tremont Mountain has a prominence of 928 feet above the saddle between it and its nearest highest neighbor, Thorodin Mountain 1.35 miles to the north-northeast.

From the summit one is awarded with great views of the entire Front Range, from Longs Peak to Pikes Peak. The hulking mass of Thorodin Mountain can be seen to the northeast.

Getting There

One fairly straightforward approach to the summit of Tremont Mountain involves starting at the Gap Road Access to Tremont Mountain, Thorodin Mountain, Starr Peak, and Sheepshead in Golden Gate Canyon State Park.

Red Tape

As of May 2012, a $7.00 fee is required to enter Golden Gate Canyon State Park.

Camping

Many pay camping areas exist along Gap Road in Golden Gate Canyon State Park.

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.