Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.53150°N / 105.16655°W
Additional Information County: Jefferson
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 7496 ft / 2285 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

 

Wilds Peak
Wilds Peak
Summit in Jefferson County, Colorado, USA.
Wilds Peak is part of the Deer Creek Canyon Open Space in southeastern Jefferson County and is a great shoulder season hike that is close to suburbia and hence perfect for a day when time is limited or in case of bad weather in high country. Wilds Peak climbs to 7,496 feet (2,282 meters) above sea level. Deer Creek Canyon is very popular park and open space in Denver backyard. During summer months this park is extremely busy and somewhat crowded, not just with hikers, trail runners but with mountain bikers as well. Wilds Peak is less known little summit, most of hikes around park are related to Plymouth Mountain and Bill Couch Mountain. 

 

Peak Type: Summit

Latitude: 39.528877

Longitue: -105.178878

Peak Elevation: 7,496 feet (2,285 m)

Nearest City: Morrison

 Getting There

From C-470, take the Kipling exit and go south. Turn right on West Ute Avenue (there will be a sign for the park), and then right on Deer Creek Canyon Road. You will pass South Valley Park on the right. About 1/2 mile further, turn left on Grizzly Drive, and then turn right into the parking lot for the park.


Meadowlark Trail
Meadowlark Trail

Trailhead
Trailhead

Route

 

Hiking Map
Hiking Map
Dear Creek Canyon contains 12.8 miles of trails some with substantial elevation gain.Three of the trails are hiker only.The rest are multi-use. We started outon the Meadowlark Trail, which is 1.6 miles long and is one of the three hiker-only trails. The trail winds through scrub oak and brush with plenty of views of Lockheed Martin’s facility and the red rock fins that surround it. The Meadowlark Trail joins the Plymouth Creek Trail at a small bridge near the creek.The Plymouth Creek Trail is very rocky with both loose rock and large slabs of jagged rock sticking out of the dirt. Right after the trail junction it ascends sharply upwards. At one point there are even steps of railroad ties to one side. This trail is filled with mountain bikers busting their quads to try and get up and over all the rocks. It is brutal, and many had to dismount and walk their way up. A few mountain biking Web sites call this section the “Wall of Shame”.Stay on Plymouth Mountain Trail passing other trails leading toward Plymouth Mountain and Red Mesa Trail.Junction with Red Mesa Trail is the point where you go toward Bill Couch Mountain. Hike another 1.5 mile until you reach top of  Plymouth Creek Trail, there is dirt road on your left side, this is where you leave trail and head toward park boundaries.Once you reach fenced gate with clear sign private property things are getting little tricky. Best way to avoid property is to go to the right and stay all the time bellow fence. One can follow fence almost to the top of Wilds Peak. 

 

 

Summit panoramaSummit panorama

 

Red Tape

The park is open from one hour before sunrise to one hour before sunset. The Meadowlark, Homesteader and Golden Eagle Trails are closed to mountain bikers. Camping is not permitted.
See here for more information.

Jeffco Open Space
700 Jefferson County Pkwy
Golden, CO 80401
(303) 271-5925
Hours: 7:30AM-5:30PM Monday-Friday
Summit panorama
Summit panorama
Summit panorama
Summit panorama
Summit panoramaSummit panorama

Maps 


View Larger Map

Camping

See Jeffco Open Space Park website for more information: