OverviewAiguille du Goûter is an important mountain in Mont-Blanc range.
The mountain is made of unstable rocks on the steepest sides (Arve valley side) and is covered with ice on the side connected with Dôme du Goûter.
Sometimes considered as the NW eperon of Dôme du Goûter, Aiguille du Goûter can be seen as an individual mountain when looking from Chamonix.
The mountain has mainly 4 sides:
- The north-east side is entirely coverered by Glacier de Taconnaz
- The northern side is steep like a huge gully containing Glacier de Bourgeat, over Les Houches (2800Hm).
- The west side is connected to Arête Payot and Tête Rousse
- The south-west side is a face made of couloirs and eperons over Bionassay glacier.
The summit is usually negligted because it is situated on the most common route to Mont Blanc itself.
The highest hut of the massif is build here only a few meters under the summit.
Routes overviewAiguille du Goûter satellite view
W side routes
Goûter hut normal route
Aiguille du Goûter west side.Spurs of bad unstable rocks and couloirs...
Getting ThereDuring summer period TMB (Mont Blanc Train) helps to go from the valley to the begining of the route (2 372 m). Mont Blanc Train
1. You reach the St Gervais valley by train:
From Martigny (Switzerland) via Vallorcine.
From Geneva (airport)
Annecy (TGV) and St. Gervais.
2. You reach the St Gervais valley by bus:
- From/via Annecy, Geneva, Grenoble, Courmayeur, Aoste and Turin
3 . You reach the St Gervais valley by car:
- a. From Geneva (from the NW) on the A40 till St. Gervais and from here on the N205.
- b. From Martigny (from the NE, Switzerland) via Vallorcine and the Col des Montets on the road no. N506.
Red TapeNo red tape.
Hut reservation is mandatory
When To ClimbJune to September. Avoid hot hours because of falling stones.
HutsGoûter hut CAF
Tête Rousse hut CAF
Mountain Conditions1. WEATHER INFOS:
- Météo France in Chamonix: 0033/836680274
- Snowinfos: 0033/836 681 020 (only in France, not from abroad)
- internet: Météo France
- meteo 7 days Chamonix
- Office de Haute Montagnes (OHM)/Chamonix:
0033450 532 208 (9:00-12:00 & 15:00-18:00 during the summer)
- Bureau des Guides in Chamonix: 0033/450530088.
- Office de Tourisme in Chamonix: 0033/450530024
- Office de Tourisme Argentière: 0033/450540214
LinksAiguille du Goûter Pictures
TMB, Aiguille du Goûter and Bionnassay Glacier old pictures