Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 43.84258°N / 114.52377°W
Additional Information County: Blaine
Activities Activities: Hiking
Additional Information Elevation: 11041 ft / 3365 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Boulder Basin Peak lies in the heart of the Boulder Mountains of central Idaho. An elusive peak, Boulder Basin lies in the shadow of its more impressive counterpart, Boulder Peak which is one half mile due south. Nonetheless, Boulder Basin Peak is a formiddable mountain with an imposing east face that provides a scenic backdrop for the historic Boulder City. The remainder of the peak's slopes comprise of the archetypal Boulder sedimentary talus slopes, which are not condusive to cross country travel or exploratory route finding. Climbing Boulder Basin Peak takes the climber into beautiful remote country relatively close to the popular resort town of Sun Valley. Because the peak is unnamed on local topographic maps, once one leaves the somewhat well traveled trails in the region, solitude and isolation is guarenteed. Only two documented routes lead to the summit of Boulder Basin Peak, one involving a reported arduous traverse from Boulder Peak to the south and a non-technical, yet demanding climb of the north slopes.

Getting There

Access is just north of the Sun Valley/Ketchum resort area. Leave Ketchum on Highway 75 continuing past the Sawtooth National Recreation Area until reaching the turnoff for Boulder Creek Road. The Boulder Creek Road is a rough 4-wheel drive road. Follow the road up the broad alluvial slopes of the Boulder Front Range until reaching a prominant fork with a sign indicating a route that follows the South Fork and one that continues up the cardinal branch and Boulder Creek. The road fords Boulder Creek (impossible early in the year for any vehicle), and continues to deteriorate as it climbs up the drainage. The road then re-crosses Boulder Creek directly below the appellation "Crown Point" on the topographic map. At this point, only ATVs and other four wheel machines are recommended to proceed up the treacherous road.

Red Tape

Boulder Basin Road is closed at the Higway 75 junction during winter. The Boulder Peaks are subjected to extreme avalanche danger in the winter months, travel in the area is not recommended unless well equipped and experienced.

Camping

There are several designated campgrounds along highway 75 to the south of Boulder Basin Peak. Otherwise, the terrain around around Boulder City is favorable for camping as are several pullout areas along Boulder Basin Road.

External Links

Add External Links text here.