Bråkdalsbelgen

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 61.88370°N / 9.68043°E
Additional Information County: Innlandet
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Scrambling, Skiing
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Elevation: 6283 ft / 1915 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Geographical classification: The Scandes > Rondane > Bråkdalsbelgen

 

Bråkdalsbelgen 1915 m

 

The Rondane National Park, in Innlandet Norwegian county, includes the namesake mountain range, counting nine peaks exceeding the altitude of 2000 meters above sea level, a magical threshold in Norway! In fact there are no peaks reaching 3000 meters of altitude in the whole Scandinavia, with the highest peak being the Galdhøpiggen (Jotunheimen) getting the altitude of 2469 m. These nine summits are divided in three groups, being situated within three different areas of the Rondane park. The Northernmost group includes Høgronden 2117 m, Midtronden 2060 m and Digerronden 2016 m; the West side of Rondane includes Trolltinden 2018 m, Storsmeden 2016 m and Veslesmeden 2015 m. The East group includes the highest summits, with Rondslottet 2178 m, Storronden 2138 m and Vinjeronden 2044 m. 

The highest summits of Rondane seen from Bråkdalsbelgen
The highest summits of Rondane seen from Bråkdalsbelgen

Even if lacking a few tens of meters to reach the important threshold of 2000 meters, and for this reason little frequented as compared to the nearby two thousanders, Bråkdalsbelgen is actually an extremely interesting muntain to climb.

Bråkdalsbelgen
Bråkdalsbelgen

Getting There

Hovringsvatnet
Hovringsvatnet

 

 

 

 

From Otta follow the E6 in a Northerly direction and exit Høvringen about 15-20 km after passing Otta. When you pass Høvringen fjellstue, follow the signposts to Smuksjøseter fjellstue (an automatic toll road - NOK 50), located on the shore of the lake named Hovringsvatnet. Parking lot near the hut.

Route

Bråkdalsbelgen Normal route from Smuksjøseter fjellstue

Summit altitude: 1915 m
Difficulty: hike and easy scramble
Vertical gain: 860 m
Starting point: Smuksjøseter fjellstue

A spectacular itinerary among the colored lichens and mosses of the Rondane National Park.

On the way to Bråkdalsbelgen
On the way to Bråkdalsbelgen

From the hut take near the lake the path on the North side of the Solsidevassberget (the mountain behind the hut) in the direction of Kjondalsbekken. The vegetation is scarce and beautiful carpets of lichens and mosses of various colors dominate. Skirt the lake and continue for a long time on false plains.

Hovringsvatnet (2)
Hovringsvatnet
Approaching the Peer Gynt hytta
Approaching the Peer Gynt hytta

 

 

 

After about an hour's walk, cross  Søre Kjondalsbekken and follow the signposts to the Peer Gynt hut. You can see a fine waterfall down the side of the valley. Cross the river over the bridge to Peer Gynt cottage.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Peer Gynt hytta is a DNT cabin with food and beverage options in high season.The cabin itself is incredibly charming and well worth a visit.

Peer Gynt hytta
Peer Gynt hytta

 

From the Peer Gynt refuge head sharply to the left and follow a track above the refuge along the Vesle Ula stream. Cross a stream at Tomasholet before starting the real climb to the top along a bump that you follow for a long time.

Peer Gynt hytta (3)
Peer Gynt hytta (3)

 

Summit of Bråkdalsbelgen
Summit of Bråkdalsbelgen

 

 

 

The first plateau is 1760 m above sea level,cross it before starting the last steep climb among blocks with intense yellow-green lichens to the top of Bråkdalsbelgen at 1915 m above sea level.

 

 

 

 

The summit offers fantastic views towards the nearby 2000m peaks of Rondane and further afield the beautiful Jotunheimen.

Summit of Bråkdalsbelgen (2)
Summit of Bråkdalsbelgen

Descent: reversing the same route. 

Red Tape

 

Logo of Rondane National Park

 

No particulary restrictions. The route is situated inside the superb Rondane National Park, established in 1962, the oldest national park in Norway. The park was extended in 2003, and now covers an area of 963 km2 in Innlandet county. The park includes 9 peaks above 2.000 metres, with the highest being Rondeslottet at an altitude of 2178 m. Rondane lies just to the East of Gudbrandsdal and nearby Dovre and Jotunheimen, two other important mountain areas.

In Rondane National Park all vegetation is protected and there are 240 species of tall trees and over 300 types of mosses and lichens of various colours.

 

 

 

Nature and climate

Rondane is one of the few places in Scandinavia and Europe where the wild reindeer lives. There is a certain shortage of plants species in the region, on the contrary Rondane is very rich in lichens, so much that it's possible to say that Rondane is the kingdom of lichen. This plant forms the characteristic lichen mats that serve as food for the reindeer during the winter months. Rondane has a reputation for relatively dry weather in summer, especially if compared to the mountain ranges located nearby.

Bråkdalsbelgen (3)
Bråkdalsbelgen

When to Climb

The best season is Summer.

Accomodation

Smuksjoseter fjellstue 1130 m - Located on the shore of the lake Hovringsvatnet, a few meters from the border of Rondane National Park.

Meteo

Rondane Meteo Forecast

Guidebooks and maps

 

Walks and Scrambles in Norway
Rondane Nord map

-Guidebooks

"Walks and Scrambles in Norway" by Anthony Dyer, John Baddeley, Ian H. Robertson - Hiking, Scrambling and Mountaineering in Norway, an English guidebook covering Jotuheimen and several other areas in the Scandes - Ripping Yarns 2006

"Norway South" - Bernhard Pollmann

- Map "Rondane Nord" - Turkart 1:50.000

 

Bråkdalsbelgen map
Brakdalsbelgen map