Kaskasatjåkka

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 67.94062°N / 18.59711°E
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Scrambling, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer
Additional Information Elevation: 6811 ft / 2076 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Kaskasatjåkka is the third highest mountain in Sweden. Only Kebnekaise and Sarektjåkkå got higher peaks. Kaskasatjåkka was first ascent by the mapmaker, Gustaf Wilhelm Bucht, in 1880. The first winter ascent was first done in 1920 by H.N. Pallin and P. Spiess.
Camp on the ridgeCamping on the east ridge of Kaskasatjåkka.


Kaskasatjåkka summit is a flat top-platue that is covered in snow most time of the year. The mountain itself isn't that special, but it offers a great view over the Tarfala valley and Kebnekaise mountain range. It’s also used as a route to Kaskasapakte. The Tarfala area where Kaskasatjåkka is located is known for the windy conditions and many glaciers. Hikers use to take day-hikes from Kebnekaise mountain lodge to Tarfala to see the glaciers. There is also a research complex nearby and a hut where you can overnight for a small fee.

Routes

The summit can be reached from several different routes. The most easy route goes upwards a glacier and a wide ridge. The last section is just a simple scramble for some and a steep walk for others. Another route is the direct one via Lillietoppsrännan, it starts from the Tarfala lake and goes straight upwards a snowy corridor graded to PD. This route is very exposed to avalanches so be sure to check the snow conditions before leaving. The last section is a short walk along the ridge between Kaskasapakte and Kaskasatjåkka.
Summit of Kaskasatjåkka,...Midsummer midnight above the clouds.

Getting There

The nearest town with an airport is Kiruna. Domestic flights arrives daily, you can also take a train/coach to Kiruna from most cities in Sweden. From Kiruna there are only two options to reach Kaskasatjåkka. The most popular and shortest way is by a bus or cab to the sami community Nikkaloukta. From here it's about 24 kilometers and 700 altitude meters in rugged terrain to the Tarfala hut at the base of Kaskasatjåkka. The second way is by train to Abisko and then approcah the mountain from north. From Abisko it's a multiple day hike via Kungsleden (kings trail). Here you can find more information about Kungsleden. A good map over the area is "Lantmäteriets Fjällkarta BD6".

Red Tape

No red tape. But show respect for the nature and wildlife in the area. Don't leave litter.

When To Climb

Located far north of the arctic circle, it's good to avoid November, December and January due the lack of sunlight. Best months for summer ascent is late June to September and winter climbing with skis in late February to April. If you need to rent equipment such as rope, harness, randonne skis, etc. you'll have to rent it from Kebnekaise mountain lodge. Be sure to book in advance during the tourist peak season.

Top-platue and east ridge of...The wide and snowy summit of Kaskasatjåkka.

Camping

You can stay in Tarfala hut or camp nearby. This place is a extremely windy place and pre-campers have build windshields near the hut that's very suitable for tents. The hut got 20 beds but there is no way to pre-book since they don't have a phone or communication. It's also possible to make a camp up on the ridge between Tarfalatjåkka and Kaskasatjåkka.

Webpage for the Tarfala hut.

Mountain Conditions

Check at SMHI for latest updates on the weather.
Nudity at the summit of...Nude in the phreaking cold.

Miscellaneous Info

Other interesting spots in the area is "Svarta Sjön" (The Black Lake), Tarfalatjåkka with it's 1911 meters above sea level, the polygons of Kebnetjåkka (odd looking stone formations created by the glaciers) and the nearby glaciers.


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.