Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 61.27935°N / 8.56501°E
Additional Information County: Innlandet
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Elevation: 5699 ft / 1737 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Geographical classification: The Scandes > Jotunheimen > Mugnetinden

 

Mugnetinden 1737 m

 

Mugnetinden 1737 m is a beautiful peak located in the South Eastern sector of Jotunheimen National Park, located 350 km North to Oslo, in the middle of Southern Norway. In Norwegian Jotunheimen means "Giants Home" and the reason of this nickname is that the highest mountains in Norway lie here. The peak is located on the border of Vang and Vaga Municipalities in Innlandet county. 

Mugnetinden (3)
Mugnetinden

Mugnetinden Normal route is a fine and moderately demanding ascent. The summit views in the direction of Valdres and Jotunheimen are absolutely rewarding.

Mugnetinden summit pano (2)
Mugnetinden summit pano

Getting There

Start of the route to Mugnetinden
Start of the route to Mugnetinden

 

 

 

From Fagernes drive in the direction of Beitostølen. Once you reach Beitostølen drive to Beito and follow the signpost to Slettefjellvegen (toll road). Drive past the toll station, continue past Fleinsendin and turn left at the intersection. Parking area on the left side of the road, near Mugnestølen, at about 3.5 km from the toll station, in a large clearing near the bridge over the Mugna stream (signposts).

Normal route from Slettafjellet 

Mugnetinden Normal route report

Summit altitude: 1737 m
Difficulty: hiking and scrambling
Vertical gain: 720 m
Starting point:  Slettafjellvegen, parking lot near the bridge over the Mugna stream  

The first part of the itinerary is a marked path with cairns and white V, the highest part of the itinerary is on rocky terrain but equally marked. The path starts on the opposite side of the road and rises up the right shore (left orographic) of the stream, then it crosses a small flat shelf. Gently the path starts to climb again crossing a wider plateau and finally skirting the Mugnebottjernet, a magnificent lake.

The water mirror of Mugnebottjernet
The water mirror of Mugnebottjernet
Mugnebottjernet, a magnificent lake
Mugnebottjernet, a magnificent lake

 

 

 

At the end of the lake, head to the left, crossing a small stream near another largest lake. Go up a steep slope close to a rocky outcrop to reach a section with undulating and less steep terrain, which you follow up to the bottom of the mountain wall.

 

 

 

At a signal on a boulder you have two options. The steeper and more demanding route turns right, while the main route continues straight ahead for another 300 meters and then turns to the right and uphill, too.

Mugnetinden, the rocky stretch (2)
Mugnetinden, the rocky stretch
Mugnetinden, approaching the summit (2)
Mugnetinden, approaching the summit (2)

 

 

 

 

The more demanding route climb up on steep terrain with a stretch of easy climb.

 

 

 

 

 

Successively the route reachs a stony plateau under a rock tower, where it joins the easier main route, which you follow with a wide turn first to the right, then to the left reaching a second plateau of large stones.

Mugnetinden (2)
Mugnetinden (2)
Pond near the summit of Mugnetinden
Pond near the summit of Mugnetinden

 

 

 

 

On rocky terrain and following a last rocky gully reach the big summit cairn, located a few meters away from the actual summit.

 

 

 

 

 

Summit of Mugnetinden
Summit of Mugnetinden

 

Vast panorama of countless lakes, the nearby Bitihorn and towards the north the farthest peaks of the Jotunheimen.

Summit of Mugnetinden (3)
Summit of Mugnetinden (3)
Mugnetinden summit pano
Mugnetinden summit pano

 

 

 

 

 

Descent: follow the same route as the outward journey, possibly preferring the easier route

Red Tape

 

Jotunheimen

 

There are no particular restrictions in climbing and hiking. Mugnetinden is lying within the superb Jotunheimen National Park, established in 1980, covering an area of 1140 km² and including the 27 highest peaks in Norway. Jotunheimen is located between Oppland and Sogn og Fjordane counties and it's bordered by the great lake called Vågåvatnet, the valleys of Bøverdalen and Leirdalen and the road No. 55 (the mytical Sognefjellveg) to the N and NW, by the Road 51 to the East, by Bygdin, Tyin and Årdal to the South and by the mountain road between Årdal and Turtagrø to the West.

When to Climb

- Mountaineering: the best period to climb goes from the end of June to middle September.
- Ski-mountaineering: april - may

Accomodation

Various different possibilities of accomodation in Beitostølen.

Meteo

Meteo Vang/Bygdin

Guidebooks and maps

Guidebooks

Jotunheimen Guidebook
Jotunheimen Guidebook

 

Vest Jotunheimen map
Vest Jotunheimen map

 

 

 

- "Opptur Jotunheimen" 125 selected itinerary on Jotunheimen - Finn Loftesnes -  Selja Forlag 2009

- "Turkart Jotunheimen Aust"