Page Type Page Type: Area/Range
Location Lat/Lon: 63.39150°N / 12.30470°E
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Trad Climbing, Sport Climbing, Toprope, Bouldering, Ice Climbing, Aid Climbing, Big Wall, Mixed, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Camping near Vierranvarri...Kebnekaise and the Swedish mountains at winter. Photo by turot
The Scandes is a beautiful mountain chain. It changes as it moves along further north and towards east. The dramatic and picturesque landscape is to be found in Norway, and as one moves eastward, the landscapes mellows and the mountains becomes rounder and worn down. Erosion has worked its way during a longer time. In the east part of the chain it's vast areas with uninhabited wilderness. The people living in Scandinavia are nature-oriented and has as pleasure to walk the mountains. In Norway it's called going "a tur" and in Sweden one goes "mountain-walking". In all three countries one ski the mountains. This is ordinary normal behaviour among people, getting out in nature is not questioned in any way. Therefore, it has grown large organisations, which by voluntary work makes it easier to get to and be in remote areas.

The Scandes mountain range starts in the south tip of Norway, enters Sweden at Dalarna, and then follows the border all the way past Treriksröset, where it starts including Finland, up into the very north, (Ultima Thule) where it falls out into the Arctic Ocean.
(Treriksröset means "The Cairn of the Three Kingdoms" and is the spot where Norway, Sweden and Finland meets, (even though Finland is an republic nowadays.)
Map of Scandes, temporaryMap of the Scandes and areas within.

In the west the chain falls into the Atlantic and in the east it just flattens out, except in Ångermanland, where it goes straight out into the sea - Östersjön. The area is called the High Coast - Höga Kusten, and it's a gorgeously beautiful place - like a softer version of Lofoten. Not so high, but some good rock climbing may be done there.

Links to specific area maps:
About Laponia The area includes the national parks of Abisko, Padjelanta, Sarek, and Stora Sjöfallet. Lapland is Europe’s biggest integral natural landscape with an area of 9,400 square kilometers, but it is not all mountaineous.

The arm of Finland. More than 60 % of all Finnish fells are located in Enontekiö municipality. Arctic flat-top mountains and large wilderness areas is the characteristics of the place, identical with area shown in the map below, of the Finnish mountains.

Geology


North face of Kaskaspakte,...Kaskaspakte, Sweden. Photo by soderkisen.


The Skandinavian mountainrange, the Scandes, is a part of the Kaledonian mountainrange and it is 1700 km long and goes all the way to the Brittish Isles. It was created sometime 420-380 miljon years ago, when the North American contintal plate krashed with the Baltic Shield. Scandinavia met Greenland, and a mountain chain rose. The sediment on the sea bottom was pushed up to a mountainrange high up over the west border of Scandinavia. The mountains were very high and sharp, like the Alps and Himalayas is now. This chain was eroded down to nothing during a period of 300 miljon years.

250 miljon years ago, it was divided into smaller pieces, when the Atlantic ocean was created. One finds peices of it in the Appalachians, Scotland, Skandinavia and on the east coast of Greenland. 70 miljon years ago the western part of the Baltic Shield was lifted up the rooots of the chain was lifted up, to create the mountain range that exists today.

One can se the chain quite clearly on this satellite picture below. It is all white and snowy, except for the part that makes an offshot across to Östersjön. The sea is partly frozen between Sweden and Finland, the entire Finnish coast is in ice.

Minerals and stones



Granite and gnejs in the chain. In the south, Jämtland, one finds basalt och magmatic diabas mostly. In Sarek and Kebnekaise there are also metamorphic stones like gnejs and slate. In the highest mountains, amphibolite dominates, en metamorph kind of stone.



The granite of Bohuslän, south of the range was created 900 milion years ago.

The iron ore of Norrland was created out of hot magma. Volcanic islands was formed with ore of iron, copper, lead, zink, silver and gold.

Mountain areas



This is the part where more information will be added in time, but there are few "groups" defined and commonly used. They simply need to be invented and I would really appreciate help on that! You have an opinion, please use additions... (Neither will I repeat information that can be found on the mountain or other group pages, that's just a waste of space and work.)
Half of Norway's total area lies above the timberline.

Jotunheim parkPhoto made last summer in the national park Jotunheimen. Photo by pvangeenen


There are smaller groups within the chain, like the Jotunheim area.
Map to the National Parks of Norway, choose Jotunheim.
The mountains in that group are:
Galdhopiggen
Glittertind
Store Skagastolstind
Sentraltind
Tjornholstind
Store Smorstabbtinden
Torfinnstindane
Fanaråken
Steindalsnosi


The mountains of Lofoten on SP are:
Svolvaergeita (The one with the jump)
Vågakallen
Lofoten Islands



Saana and Halti, the two highest mountains of Finland are both located in Fell Finland.

Red Tape


SentraltindPanoramic view into the Lysefjord from near Kjeragbolten. Photo by mpbro.
There is no red tape in Scandinavia. It is probably one of the safest places on earth to visit.

Residents from some countries needs visa.
Information about visa to Norway
Information about visa to Sweden
Information about visa to Suomi Finland

General information when visiting Scandinavia:
The official Swedish website for travel and tourism
Information in plenty of languages and information about out-door stuff, as hiking & trekking or different kinds of skiing. Telemark, for example, the free-heel skis, have been traditionally used in Sweden and Norway by hunters and farmers.

The official Norwegian website for travel and tourism Plenty of information about outdoor activities. Climbing is a most normal activity for Norwegians.

The official Finnish website for travel and tourism. Also a very out-doorsy country... they have a glass-igloo hotel in Lapland, for watching the Aurora Borealis - very cool.

National parks


No, I did not jump. July 1999.Preikestolen, Norway. Photo by PeterCorneliusSpaeth

There are several national parks within the range.
Info on the Norwegian national parks,
the Swedish, and
the Finnish ones.

Starting with the parks in Norway:
Hardangervidda mountain plateu
Dovrefjell/Sunndalsfjella nasjonalpark,
Dovre nasjonalpark,
Rondane nasjonalpark
Oppdal nasjonalpark

Sweden:
Töfsingdalen
Sånfjället
Björnlandet
Skuleskogen
Pieljekaise
Padjelanta
Sarek
Stora Sjöfallet
Abisko
Vadvetjåkka

Suomi Finland:
Lemmenjoki nationalpark
Pallas-Yllästunturi nationalpark


Camping

The awesome West Ridge as... Stetind, Norway. Photo by darinchadwick
This range passes through three different countries. The rules are slightly different in each country, but the gist is the same. You are allowed to roam the land in all three countries and put up your tent for a night or two, in a spot that doesn't disturb people. There is often local restrictions, in habitated areas and national parks have special rules.

In Norway: 150 meters is the closest from a house.
The Norwegian Allemansretten - in Norwegian. I am searching for it, in English.
Norwegian Camping Guide
Visit Norway's (the official tourist organisation) Camping

In Sweden: not on anybody's yard or within sight if border is unclear. One or two nights is allowed. Common Right of Access

Rights and Regulations in Finland: you may stay one night if uninhabited. One needs permission to make a fire. You may pick berries and mushrooms for your own daily needs only. (Now, when you see the conditions in reality, and realise that "uninhabited" in this part of Finland, means that you have several hundreds of kilometres before there is a house, you probably will venture to make a fire without asking. Just be careful,is my advice. Use your common sense.)

Cabins





Finland:
In the wilderness there are both free and rental cabins. Among the free cabins the wilderness cabins are the most known, they are situated in roadless land in the northen and eastern parts of Finland. There are also the daybreak cabins, and the open peat- and log cots are mainly for daybreaks, but can give protection if needed at night.

The locked and bookable rental cabins guarantee you a bed for the night. There are two kinds, depending for how long time one plans to spend in the cabin.

Map to cabins. They have great and thorough information about cabins, but it's in Finnish. This is a bit shorter. But, if you hover the mouse above a cabin on the map, you'll get the number and the name and if you click on that name, a pdf will open with a good and detailed map.

A list of ALL cabins in the very northern-most part of Lapland.

Sweden:

STF, The Swedish Tourist Organisation is one of Sweden's largest voluntary organisations, with about 330 000 members. It operates 315 youth hostels, eight mountain stations, and about 40 mountain huts in remote countryside.
The huts listed below belongs to organisation, they are not private.


The eight mountain stations (with all kind of facilities):
Abisko Turiststation
981 07 Abisko
Phone: +46(0)980-402 00
Fax: +46(0)980-401 40
E-mail: info@abisko.stfturist.se
Blåhammarens Fjällstation
830 15 Duved
Phone: +46(0)647-701 20
Fax: +46(0)647-740 26
E-mail: info@blahammaren.stfturist.se
Grövelsjöns Fjällstation
790 91 Idre
Phone: +46(0)253-59 68 80
Fax: +46(0)253-232 25
E-mail: info@grovelsjon.stfturist.se
Kebnekaise Fjällstation
981 29 Kiruna
Phone: +46(0)980-550 00
Fax: +46(0)980-550 48
E-mail: info@kebnekaise.stfturist.se
Saltoluokta Fjällstation
982 99 Gällivare
Phone: +46(0)973-410 10
Fax: +46(0)973-410 13
E-mail: info@saltoluokta.stfturist.se
Sylarnas Fjällstation
830 15 Duved
Phone: +46(0)647-750 10
Fax: +46(0)647-750 12
E-mail: info@sylarna.stfturist.se
Vålådalens Turiststation
830 12 Vålådalen
Phone: +46(0)647-353 00
Fax: +46(0)647-353 53
E-mail: info@valadalen.stfturist.se
Storulvån Fjällstation
83015 DUVED
Phone: +46(0)647-722 00
Fax: +46(0)647-740 26
E-mail: storulvan@stfturist.se


Then there are cabins, sometimes unmanned, sometimes there's a cabin-host. There one gets room by who arrives first. If full, you may sleep on the floor. If it says "Kungsleden" (The King's trail), its northern part from Kebnekaise and northward towards Abisko, is the most popular wilderness trail there is in northern Scandinavia. You will not be alone, if you walk that in July. Rest of the year, maybe. Those cabins are therefore most popular too.


North of the lake Torne träsk
Pältsa fjällstuga 14 km south of Treriksröset (The Cairn of the Three Kingdoms) on the Nordkalott trail. (Very far north, the most northern in Sweden.)

 

From Abisko to Saltoluokta, from north southbound. Two National Parks: Abisko and Stora Sjöfallet's.
Link to map with all cabins between Abisko and Saltoluokta.
Kårsavagge fjällstuga Cabin on the north side of the lake Kaskamus Kårsavaggejaures west end. A little soutwest of Abisko.
Abiskojaure fjällstuga On Kungsleden & the Nordkalott trail between Abisko and Kebnekaise by the lake Abiskojaure's southwest end, within the Abisko National Park.
Unna Allakas fjällstuga Two cabins 14 km nortwest from Alesjaure cabins, and very close to the border to Norway.
Alesjaure fjällstuga On Kungsleden & the Nordkalott trail between Abisko and Kebnekaise, where the Alesätnos runs out into the lake Alesjauare.
Vistas fjällstuga In the valley Vistasvagge, towards southeast, by the trail Alesjaure-Nikkaluokta, on the northeastern shore of Vistasjåkka, opposite of where Stuor Räitajåkkas runs out in the Vistasjåkka.
Tjäktja fjällstuga Cabins on Kungsleden & the Nordkalott trail on the popular stretch between Abisko and Kebnekaise.
Nallo fjällstuga In Räitavagge, a valley, between Vistas and Sälka.
Sälka fjällstuga Where the two valleys Tjäktjavagge och Räitavagge meets each other, by Kungsleden och the Nordkalott trail, on the popular part Abisko-Kebnekaise.
Tarfala fjällstuga In the harsh valley Tarfaladalen, east of Kebnekaise, on the south shore of the lake Tarfalasjön, in the Kebnekaise massif.
Singi fjällstuga Cabins on Kungsleden on the stretch Abisko-Vakkotavare, where Ladtjovagge meets Tjäktjavagge. (The meeting point of two valleys.)
Kaitumjaure fjällstuga On Kungsleden between Kebnekaise and Vakkotavare at the west end of the lake Padje-Kaitumjaure.
Teusajaure fjällstuga Three cabins on the north shore of the lake Teusajaure by Kungsleden, the part Kebnekaise-Saltoluokta.
Vakkotavare fjällstuga On the north shore of the lake Akkajaure withi Stora Sjöfallet's National Park by the road Gällivare-Ritsem.
Akkajaure lies directed east-westward and is a barrier. To the west one comes to Ritsem and Stora Sjöfallet's National Park. To the east one comes to Saltoluokta Fjällstation, where Kungsleden continues south.

 

Soon after the Sälka cabins, another trail turns southwest. On this trail there are three cabins north of the lake Akkajaure.
Hukejaure fjällstuga On the southeastern shore of the lake Hukejaure's south end. 25 km west from Kungsleden, on the trail to Ritsem.
Sitasjaure fjällstuga At the south end of the lake Sitasjaure, by the Ritsem-Sälka trail.
Ritsem fjällstuga On the north shore of the lake Akkajaure outside Stora Sjöfallet's National Park by the road Gällivare-Ritsem.
On south side of the lake Akkajaure the trail continues, between the two national parks Sarek and Padjelanta.
Akka fjällstuga Cabins 2 km south of the Änonjalmes Sami village, which is the "harbour" for the STFs boat m/s Storlule over Akkajaure.
Vaisaluokta fjällstuga Sami village by a western bay of the lake Akkajaure, which is the "harbour" for the STFs boat m/s Storlule over Akkajaure.
Kutjaure fjällstuga By the bridge on the north shore of the lake Sierperjåkka on the trail Vaisaluokta-Staloluokta.
Sårjåsjaure fjällstuga "Konsul Persson' cabin" by the lake Sårjåsjaure on the trail Staloluokta-Sulitjelma. (Sulitelma lies in Norway.)

 

Cabins on middle part of Kungsleden, from Saltoluokta Fjällstation to Kvikkjokk, southbound.
Link to map with all cabins between Saltoluokta and Kvikkjokk
Sitojaure fjällstuga On the northeastern shore of the lake Sitojaure on Kungsleden, the by part Saltoluokta-Kvikkjokk.
Sjöfallsstugan On the southern shore of the lake Akkajaure, west of Kungsleden.
Aktse fjällstuga On Kungsleden between Saltoluokta och Kvikkjokk on the north shore of Laitaure.
Pårte fjällstuga On the north shore by the lake Sjaptjakjaure, on Kungsleden on the stretch Saltoluokta-Kvikkjokk.
Njunjes fjällstuga In the valley westbound on the trail Kvikkjokk-Staloluokta.
Tarrekaise fjällstuga Cabins on the north shore of the lake Tarraure on the westbound trail Kvikkjokk-Staloluokta and the Kvikkjokk-Sulitelma trail. Here the trail divides, northwestbound to Staloluokta and southwestbound to Sulitelma.
Såmmarlappa fjällstuga Cabins northeast of the lake Såmmartjåkkå on the westbound trail Kvikkjokk-Staloluokta.
Vaimok fjällstuga Cabin on the north shore of the lake Vaimok. By the trail Kvikkjokk-Sulitelma.
Pieskehaure fjällstuga Cabin on the shore of the lake Pieskehaures northeastern corner, south of the massif Sulitelma.

 

Cabins on south part of Kungsleden, from Kvikkjokk to Hemavan, southbound.
Link to map with all cabins between from Kvikkjokk to Hemavan.
Aigert fjällstuga Cabin on Kungsleden, on the north side of Äivisåives, west of Ammarnäs.
Serve fjällstuga. Cabins on Kungsleden west of the lake Tjulträsket.
Tärnasjö fjällstuga Cabins in the birchforest by the lake Tärnasjön's eastern shore, on Kungsleden between Ammarnäs and Hemavan.
Syter fjällstuga Cabins vid Svärfar ("Father-in-law") creek on Kungsleden between Ammarnäs och Hemavan, 6 km east of the peak Sytertoppen.
Viterskalet fjällstuga Cabin by the creek Syterbäcken on Kungsleden i Syterskalet's western part between Hemavan & Syterstugan.

 

Sylarna Helags area, from north southbound, from east, westbound
Link to map with all cabins in the Sylarna Helags area
Lunndörren fjällstuga Cabins in the mountain Anarisfjällen west of St Gröngumpen and north of Santa in the pass Lunndoor's north part.
Anaris fjällstuga Cabin between the lake Anasjön and the Anaris mountain.
Vålåvalen/Vålåstugorna Cabins, often called Vålåstugorna, on the west mountainside of Vålåvalen on the trail Vålådalen-Helags.
Stensdalen fjällstuga Cabins on the trail Vålådalen - Sylarna by the creek Stensån north of the mountain Lillstensdalsfjället.
Gåsen fjällstuga Cabins situated high on the fjeld Gåsen's (the Goose) south brink on the trail Sylarna-Vålådalen.
Helags fjällstuga Cabins at the foot of the fjeld Helagsfjäll on the trail Ljungdalen-Sylarna.
Fältjägaren fjällstuga Cabin situated high on the mountain, on the trail by the Helags-Ramund mountain.
Skedbro fjällstuga Cabin vid the lake Skedbrosjön with a view towards the mountain Skedbrofjället.
Rogen fjällstuga Cabin in a forested cape by the lake Rogens northeastern shore.
Storrödtjärn fjällstuga Cabin in open morain landscape by the lake Storrödingtjärn.


[img:21604:alignleft:medium: Sentraltind (in front) and Storen (behind) as seen from Styggedalstind. Photo by LS.]

Norway:
In the Narvik area, the mountain hiking organisation, NOT has 22 cabins. It's an non-commercial voluntary member's organisation. The cabins are open to all. You can read about the rules, maps and all kind of information on their site. Those lying close to the Swedish border can be seen on the STF maps too.



Cabins in the Skjomen mountain area, to Hellemobotn.
Name of cabin Situated meters above sealevel Amount of beds
Caihnavaggehyttene 1010 6
Cunojavrrehyttene 709 11
Gautelishyttene 865 20
Hundalshyttene 700. 14
Kvilebua i Oallavagge 855 2
Losihyttene 720 8
Paurohyttene 695 16
Røysvatnhyttene 805 16
Sitashyttene 630 14
Skoaddejavrrehyttene 1020. 14


The Norwegian Mountain Touring Association (DNT) has budget accomodation at more than 400 mountain cabins all over Norway, for members: 43 staffed lodges ( with all kinds of facilities), self-service (provisioned) cabins, often with a warden in high season and 185 unprovisioned cabins. One can buy provisions at the lodges and the provisioned cabins. The huts are too many to list here, but one can make a search on the website.

Fishing


[img:125852:alignleft:small:Breidtinden, Bodö, Norway. Photo by me.]If you want to go fishing, you'll need this:
In Finland, if you're older than 18, you'll need a personal state fishing license and permission from the owner of the fishing grounds.
Everything about fishing in Suomi Finland

In Sweden,one is allowed to fish freely with hand gear along the coast line and in the two largest lakes, Vänern and Vättern.
Numerous links about fishing in Sweden, in English & Everything about fishing, but in Swedish...

In Norway, The guide to sportfishing in Norway..
It seems to be a very informative site.

Credit:

Page built by Lolli.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
visentin

visentin - Nov 5, 2009 10:23 am - Voted 10/10

etymology

where does the expression "The Scandes" come from ?

Viewing: 1-1 of 1