Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 61.40158°N / 8.72050°E
Additional Information County: Innlandet
Activities Activities: Hiking, Mountaineering, Scrambling, Skiing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer
Additional Information Elevation: 6906 ft / 2105 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Geographical classification: The Scandes > Jotunheimen > Rasletind

 

Rasletinden 2105 m

Rasletinden or Rasletind 2105 m is a summit surrounded by an exciting environment located in the South-Eastern sector of the Jotunheimen range and included in the Jotunheimen National Park, 350 km North to Oslo, in the middle of Southern Norway. In Norwegian Jotunheimen means "Giants Home" and the reason of this nickname is that the highest mountains in Norway lie here. The peak is located on the border of Vang Municipality and Vaga in Innlandet county. The mountain has two main summits, named Rasletinden, the higher summit, reaching an elevation of 2105 m, and Øystre Rasletinden, the secondary peak, reaching an elevation of 2010 m. Rasletinden is the Southeasternmost peak you can see when driving along the Valdresflya highway and it's among the easiest 2000-metre peaks to climb, a popular destination both on foot and on skis also because of the fantastic summit view. 

 

Rasletinden
Rasletinden

 

Getting There

 

Start of the route to Rasletind
Start of the route to Rasletind

 

 

 

 

The starting point to climb is the Valdresflya Vandrehjem parking lot along the Valdresflya highway (National Road 51), open in summer.

Route

Rasletind Normal route from Valdresflya Vandrehjem report

Summit altitude: 2105 m
Difficulty: hiking and scrambling
Vertical gain: 830 m
Starting point: Valdresflya Vandrehjem parking lot 

A long but not difficult route. The first part is a marked path with cairns and red T's, the highest part of the itinerary is on rocky terrain but equally marked.

Rasletinden, pond
Rasletinden, pond
Rasletinden (2)
Rasletinden (2)

 

 

 

From Valdresflya Vandrehjem parking lot cross the Road 51, reaching the opposite side of the road and head directly towards the eastern summit walking along a well worn path crossing the meadows on the south-west shore of lake Fisketjerni. After the long flat section pass by three small knolls, then lose some height into Steindalen.

 

 

 

 

Here cross a stream, which is normally unproblematic to cross, before the main ascent is seriously tackled. Enter a cirque, passing by a small pond. From here the route starts to climb steeply and you will not be able to see the summits any more. Successively turn a bit to the right, aiming to a big stone block. From this boulder head to the left and follow the cairns in the direction of the NE ridge of Rasletinden. Slowly the view opens towards the peak south of Gjende.

 

Rasletind, nearing the summit
Rasletind, nearing the summit

 

Continue up the ridge keeping yourself to the North (right) of the secondary summit 2010 m. A gentle snow slope rises towards the highest summit. If you prefer to get also the flat eastern summit, after it is easy to spot the route to the main summit.

Rasletind East summit
Rasletind East summit
Rasletinden, near the summit
Rasletinden, near the summit

 

Rasletinden, near the summit
Rasletinden, near the summit

 

 

This short hike is no challenge except that it is rocky. The view is fantastic towards Sjodalen, Valdres with Bitihorn and Bygdin and towards the Gjendalpen. Tjønnholstinden is really nice to see, but the huge Jotun view is missing since neighboring peaks such as Munken and Mugna steal a lot of the view.

 

 

Summit of Rasletinden
Summit of Rasletinden

 

 

If you want to see more, just continue further West.

 

 

Descent: reversing the route

 

 

Red Tape

 

Jotunheimen

 

There are no particular restrictions in climbing and hiking. Rasletind is lying within the superb Jotunheimen National Park, established in 1980, covering an area of 1140 km² and including the 27 highest peaks in Norway. Jotunheimen is located between Oppland and Sogn og Fjordane counties and it's bordered by the great lake called Vågåvatnet, the valleys of Bøverdalen and Leirdalen and the road No. 55 (the mytical Sognefjellveg) to the N and NW, by the Road 51 to the East, by Bygdin, Tyin and Årdal to the South and by the mountain road between Årdal and Turtagrø to the West.

When to Climb

- Mountaineering: the best period to climb goes from the end of June to middle September.
- Ski-mountaineering: april - may

Where to stay

Bygdin Fjellhotell

Meteo

Meteo Vang/Bygdin

Guidebooks and maps

Guidebooks

Jotunheimen Guidebook
Jotunheimen Guidebook

 

Vest Jotunheimen map
Vest Jotunheimen map

 

 

 

- "Opptur Jotunheimen" 125 selected itinerary on Jotunheimen - Finn Loftesnes -  Selja Forlag 2009

- "Turkart Jotunheimen Aust"