Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 38.99467°N / 107.07048°W
Additional Information County: Gunnison
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 12293 ft / 3747 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Cinnamon Mountain B Overview

Cinnamon Mountain B seen from Anthracite MesaCinnamon Mountain B taken from Anthracite Mesa

Like any mountain in this area around Oh-Be-Joyful, Cinnamon Mountain B is often considered a landmark to all those who come up Paradise Divide into Paradise Basin. Also Yule Pass carves a big line right through the middle of it and that is what makes this mountain the most recognizable mountain in the area (excluding Mount Crested Butte). As you are 4 wheeling up Paradise Divide, you know you are getting near the top when you see a mountain that only reminds you of the sweet spice that is considered to be Cinnamon. That, obviously, is where Cinnamon Mountain B claimed its name from. The "B" in its name stands for "#2" because it is the 2nd mountain in Colorado that has the name like Cinnamon Mountain.
It's elevation is 12,293 feet which makes it the 1152nd highest peak in Colorado. It's neighbors, Tresury Mountain, Tresure Mountain A are both ranked Colorado 13ers and its Proximate Parent Mount Baldy which is a ranked Colorado 12er is what gives this mountain it's popularity. Most of the time this mountain, along with the other mountains around it, is included within the combination starting with Mount Baldy then Cinnamon Mountain then Treasury and Treasure Mountains.
The views of and around this mountain are spectacular. From the summit, you can see the entire Ruby Range, which is a long extension to the mighty Elk Range. From its Northeast side, it may be partially unattractive due to its light yellow/orange color however from its back side, it is very lush green just like the rest of Paradise Basin.

In-depth Details

Here are more details:

Elevation: 12,293 ft.
CO Peak Rank: 1152

Range: Elk (Ruby Range)
Counties: Gunnison

Quadrangle: Oh-Be-Joyful
Coordinates: 38.9947°N, -107.0706°W

Prominence: 713'
Saddle: 11,580 ft.

Proximate Parent: Mount Baldy
Line Parent: Treasury Mountain
Isolation: 1.31 miles

YDS Class Rating: 2

Climbers Log

Getting There

Cinnamon Mountain B with TreasuryCinnamon Mountain B with Treasury Mountain
From Buena Vista, make a left onto US 285. From there make a right onto US 50 up and over Monarch Pass and continue onto Gunnison. From Gunnison go North onto US 135 to Crested Butte. From here, make a left onto Slate River Road (County road 739A). Go all the way up it until you get to the cutoff for Paradise Divide. From here you will need a basic 4WD vehicle with a short wheel base to get to the top of the divide. Once at the top, there are large parking areas scattered along the top area.

From Aspen, head East onto US 82 over Independence Pass to Twin Lakes. From here, make right towards Buena Vista. From there make a right onto US 50 up and over Monarch Pass and continue onto Gunnison. From Gunnison go North onto US 135 to Crested Butte. From here, make a left onto Slate River Road (County road 739A). Go all the way up it until you get to the cutoff for Paradise Divide. From here you will need a basic 4WD vehicle with a short wheel base to get to the top of the divide. Once at the top, there are large parking areas scattered along the top area.

You will connect to the main route from here, it is an unmarked and small trail that seems to be going up the Northwest face of the mountain. You can read more about the route in the "routes section".

Red Tape

No permits required. A 4WD vehicle however is required to get to the top of Paradise Divide. If you decide to do the combination including Treasure and Treasury Mountains, you will enter Wilderness Area so please follow those rules and regulation from there.

You will be entering the Southern and Northern Sections of the wilderness if you choose to do this. Here is the contact info if you have any questions.

White River National Forest
Old Federal Building, Box 948
Glenwood Springs, CO 81602
303-945-2521

Gunnison Ranger District
216N. Colorado
Gunnison, CO 81230
970-641-0471

Camping

You could camp anywhere along Slate River Road, but Paradise Divide offers plenty of suitable campsites along the way.

External Links

http://listsofjohn.com/PeakStats/Climbers.php?Id=1524

Gunnison Ranger District

White River Ranger District


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.