Corona, 5.6

Page Type Page Type: Route
Additional Information Route Type: Sport Climbing
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: 5.6 (YDS)
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Corona is located on Machete Ridge, next to Dos Equis. It is a safe early lead. Unlike most Pinnacles climbs it is very well bolted so a neophyte leader can get plenty of practice clipping bolts.

Although the route is well bolted, the rock is typical of the Pinnacles, volcanic breccia, and is loose. The route is relatively new (FA unknown) and is beginning to clean up; however, it is common to knock pebbles loose while climbing it.

Spring and fall are the primary climbing seasons at the Pinnacles. It is possible to climb the route in during hotter weather as it remains shaded during the morning hours. Also, you shouldn't climb in the Pinnacles immediately after a rain storm as the rock will be loose then. Give the rock a chance to dry out.

Getting There

Climber s Access SignSign
From the West Side parking lot take the Balconies Cave Trail. Before you reach the caves, you will see a climber's access sign. Following the directions on the sign, use the climber's trail to reach the base.

There is a fallen digger pine at the base of the route that makes a nice bench.

Route Description

There are eight bolts and a bolted anchor with rapel chains at the top of this 90 foot climb. in his guidebook, Brad Young gives it one star (out of three), which means that the route is "better than average."


Corona, 5.6
Corona, 5.6
Corona, 5.6

Essential Gear

Rope, quick draws and material for building an anchor.



Corona, 5.6, Pinnacles N.M.Justin's Second Lead