Routes on Teaching Rock (aka Toprope Wall)

Routes on Teaching Rock (aka Toprope Wall)

Page Type Page Type: Route
Additional Information Route Type: Toprope
Seasons Season: Spring
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: 5.4 to 5.9
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Teaching Rock (also known as Toprope Wall) is located on the rim of Bear Gulch above the northern part of Moses Spring Wall. There are three easily accessible sets of bolts on top of the wall that provide anchors for the routes on this wall.

Teaching Rock is a pleasant place to climb, with views of Discovery Wall, the Monolith and the area beyond the reservoir. Also, if you climb in the Pinnacles during the summer you have to chase the shade. This wall is shady in the morning, so you can climb these routes before seeking shade elsewhere.

Getting There

From the Bear Gulch Visitors Center, take the High Peaks Trail. After about .3 mile, Rim Trail forks off to the left. Follow Rim Trail until you see Teaching Rock, a rectangular formation with a pine tree in front of it. Take the obvious climbers trail to access the top and anchors.

Teaching RockTeaching Rock as seen from Rim Trail

Route Descriptions

The three routes on Teaching Rock are toproped. There are three easily accessible sets of bolts on top of the wall that provide anchors.

If you are looking at Teaching Rock from Rim Trail, the routes are named as follows:

Teaching Right, 5.4. This the obvious shallow chute on the right hand side of the rock. An aside, this route was the first outdoor route I climbed, so it is a sentimental favorite.

Teaching Center, 5.6 to 5.9. There are several variations that can be climbed using the middle anchors. The easiest is to head towards the hole about ten feet left of Teching Right. The hardest varation involves heading straight up and climbing over a bulge.

Teaching Left, 5.9. This route is toproped off north-most set of bolts.


Teaching RightTim enjoying Teacing Right
Teaching Center, 5.6 to 5.9Teaching Center
Teaching Center, 5.6 to 5.9Teaching Center
Teaching Center, 5.6 to 5.9Teaching Center
Teaching Left, 5.9Teaching Left
Teaching Left, 5.9Teaching Left

Essential Gear

Gear to setup topropes.


Teaching RockSetting up Anchors
Teaching RockBrad setting up anchor for Teaching Right
Teaching RockTim setting up anchor for Teaching Center