Dôme de Neige des Glaciers

Dôme de Neige des Glaciers

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 45.77818°N / 6.79710°E
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Elevation: 3592 ft / 1095 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The Dôme de Neige des Glaciers is also referred to as Dôme des Glaciers. This snowy summit is easily accesible via its SW flank over the Glacier des Glaciers and is an excellent trip for novices or at the beginning of the season.



A nice 3-day round trip is to climb the Dôme de Neige des Glaciers in combination with the Mont Tondu and the Aiguille de la Lex Blanche or the Aiguille des Glaciers, starting from les Contamines-Montjoie. The first day, one can hike to the Refuge des Conscrits. The second day is to attempt the Dôme de Neige des Glaciers and the Aiguille de la Lex Blanche or the Aiguille des Glaciers and descend to the Refuge Robert Blanc. The third day leads to the Mont Tondu and back to les Contamines-Montjoie.

Routes

  • SW Flank - F (half a day)

  • Arête des Lanchettes from the Col des Glaciers - PD (most of a day)

Getting There

There are several starting points to climb the Dôme de Neige des Glaciers. One option is to park the car at le Cugnon, a small settlement to the south of les Contamines-Montjoie. From here one can reach the Tré-la-Tête Hut (Private - 1970m - 85 places - Phone: 0033 (0)450 47 01 68) in 2 1/2 hours or the Conscrits Hut (CAF - 2580m - 84 places - Phone: 0033 (0)479 89 09 03) in 5 hours. Another option is to start from la Ville-des-Glaciers (or les Chapieux), from where the Robert Blanc Hut (Private - 2750m - 45 places - Phone: 0033 (0)479 07 24 22) is reached in 3 hours.

When To Climb

The Dôme de Neige des Glaciers can be climbed almost all the time of the year. The snowy slopes on the SW Flank are accesible with tourskis in winter and spring.

Red Tape

No red tape is required to climb the Dôme de Neige des Glaciers. To all visitors, make sure it keeps that way. Off course it's also recommended to be a member of an alpine club to be insured for rescue in case of an emergency. There is a fee to park the car at le Cugnon.