Fat Chance

Page Type Page Type: Route
Additional Information Route Type: Ice Climbing
Seasons Season: Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: WI3-4 I
Additional Information Number of Pitches: 1
Additional Information Grade: I
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Fat Chance is a great and usually overlooked climb in Hyalite Canyon. It is typically one of the first to form and last to melt in the canyon. Many pass this climb on their way to the Mummy Cooler climbs, but it serves as a good warm-up and a good climb itself.

Approach

Begin at the Grotto Falls trailhead. Hike a short distance (15 minutes) up the trail to the big amphitheatre on the left. Hike up the talus or snow field, depending on the season, to the left side of the amphitheatre. The climb is the large bulge of ice running down the left end of the amphitheatre.

Route Description

Fat Chance: 100' WI3-4
FA: Unknown
The route can be split into a left and right side - the left being easier. Begin at the base and follow any line that looks welcoming to you. The left side offers flowing sections of WI3 while the right offers a sustained WI4 climb. Once at the top, climb through the trees and bushes to the anchor around a tree. You probably won't see it at first but keep slogging up and you will. A tree fell recently on this small slog that you should crawl under to prevent rope drag, which can be a nuisance but done easily.

Essential Gear

Ice screws to your comfort level, you should be fine with 5 screws.

Geography
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.