Switchback Falls

Page Type Page Type: Route
Additional Information Route Type: Ice Climbing
Seasons Season: Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Less than two hours
Additional Information Difficulty: WI3 I
Additional Information Number of Pitches: 1
Additional Information Grade: I
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Switchback Falls is the dominant ice climb on the far right side of the Amphitheatre. It is a fun climb that can be done in a very short time with a short approach.

Approach

Begin at the Grotto Falls trailhead in the main fork of Hyalite Canyon. Hike a short distance (15 minutes) up the trail to the big amphitheatre on the left. Continue on the trail until it switchbacks next to the climb. Hike up through the snow for ~20m from the trail to the climb. It is the only large piece of ice on the right side of the amphitheatre and impossible to miss.

Route Description

Switchback Falls: 100' WI3
FA: Unknown
The climb begins wide at the base and narrows a bit near the top, yet still many lines are possible. It is continuous and sustained WI3 for the entirety of the climb. From the top, the anchor is located a few meters back around a tree, which is easy to find. Toproping will use nearly the full 60m of the rope.

Essential Gear

Ice screws to your comfort level, typically around 5

Geography
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.