Genesis II

Page Type Page Type: Route
Additional Information Route Type: Ice Climbing
Seasons Season: Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: WI4- II
Additional Information Number of Pitches: 1
Additional Information Grade: II
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Genesis II is the large ice formation directly above Genesis I. This climb is easily spotted from the road just before you get to the Grotto Falls parking lot.

Approach

To get to Genesis II, begin by hiking east from the Grotto Falls trailhead on the usually well-packed trail to Genesis I. Either climb Genesis I or follow the cliff to the right and hike up an easy gully, then traverse back to the top of Genesis I. Continue uphill from here. There is usually a trail, but if there has been recent snowfall you may have to make your own. Hike thru the trees until the trail turns a bit left into a gully. You can see the climb clearly from here. Follow the gully up ~100m to the base of the climb.

Route Description

Genesis II: 150' WI4-
FA: Pat Callis and Brian Leo - October 31, 1971
Begin anywhere at the base of the climb. The right side is easiest at WI4-, while the far left offers WI5 opportunities. Follow the ice up 100' to where it becomes narrow. Follow the ice up to the left to the big tree. Belay from the anchor slings around the tree.

Essential Gear

Ice screws to your comfort level. You should be fine with 5-6 screws.

Geography
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.