Feeding the Cat

Page Type Page Type: Route
Additional Information Route Type: Ice Climbing
Seasons Season: Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: WI3+ II
Additional Information Number of Pitches: 1
Additional Information Grade: II
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Feeding the Cat is an enjoyable toprope-able climb located above the Amphitheatre. If there's a crowd in the Amphitheatre, as there usually is, or you want to make an extension of any Amphitheatre climb, this is a good choice.

Approach

There are two ways to approach Feeding the Cat. The first is to climb either Fat Chance or Thin Chance, then continue uphill on the right side of the drainage until you come to an open snow runnel which will lead to the climb.

The second is to pass the Amphitheatre climbs to the north, as if going towards the Mummy Cooler climbs. After a short distance uphill, take a right and hike up and right until the climb can be seen. Usually there is a beaten path for this approach.

Route Description

Feeding the Cat: 100' WI3+
FA: Unknown
Begin the climb on the far right. When normally formed, it will be a tall pillar with angled rock to the left. If fat, the rock on the left will form ice over it, providing for an easier climb. The pillar, in normal conditions, will have a tall step followed by a shorter 15' step at the top. Neither will be completely vertical. If fat, however, these pillars bulge out and become vertical, but easier WI3 climbing will be available to the left of the pillar.

Belay or toprope from a tree anchor just a few feet from the cliff, on top of the right pillars. A new rappel ring has been recently placed there.

Essential Gear

Ice screws to your comfort level, typically around 6

Geography
Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.