Slight of Hand

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 45.45724°N / 110.91694°W
Additional Information Route Type: Ice Climbing
Seasons Season: Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Difficulty: WI4 II
Additional Information Number of Pitches: 1
Additional Information Grade: II
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Slight of Hand is one of the easiest accessible routes from the Emerald Lake trailhead and deserves to see more traffic. Get to it early, though, as the Emerald Lake / Palisade Falls road closes mid-winter.

Approach

Begin at the Emerald Lake trailhead. You won't be able to see the climb for the entire approach until you are 50m away, so don't bother looking for it. Hike up the trail roughly 1/3 mile to the small 10' bridge across the small creek. From here, turn left and follow the creek until you get to the climb. The forest is not too dense and easily navigated. The climb will be about 20 minutes from the trail.

Route Description

Slight of Hand: 120' WI4
FA: Dan Jones and Clark Alexis - March 1996
The climb begins in deep snow, following WI3+ ice for roughly 90'. The last 30' is a vertical headwall at WI4. On the right side of the headwall there are hanging icicles above a cave that could easily fit one or two people in it. For a harder finish, climb these icicles, conditions permitting.

Essential Gear

Ice screws to your comfort level, typically around 8

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.