Findenigkofel / Monte Lodin is a ridge mountain, which is a nice hiking goal because it stands a bit more out of the main Canic crest than the neighbouring mountains. Otherwise there is nothing so special in it - a very steep, grassy southern slope, a short partly rocky northern slope and the two ridges meeting on the culmination point. Still, the neighbourhood is beautiful. Nice high alpine meadows, attractive especially in autumn and spring, slopes, appropriate for tour skiing, broad panorama...
So, Findenigkofel / Monte Lodin is first of all a hiking mountain. Along the whole Carnic Main Crest goes the famous Karnischer Hoehenweg / Traversata Carnica - a multi-day, long-distance hike. Next, in good conditions Findenigkofel / Monte Lodin can also be done as a ski tour. If conditions are not so good, you can ski down virtually from any of the neighbouring bumps or mountains, such as Waidegger Horn or Leitenkogel. The area around Findenigkofel / Monte Lodin is also very appropriate for mountain biking. Many mountain roads and good path, originating from ex military roads can bring you quite high, the total elevation gain from the valley of Gail/Zilja could exceed 1200 meters. And the last, but not least matter of interest - the area is well known by producing good cheese - the Gailtaler Almkaese ('Gail valley alpine cheese).
Close to the highest summit there are some more peaks to mention. South-east of the main summit there are in the main crest a few more rocky bumps, one of them has a name Cima Val di Puartis, 1927m. Towards the north in the vicinity of Findenigkofel / Monte Lodin a strong side ridge deters from the main Carnic Alps crest. It branches soon in three ridges. The nothwestern branch culminates on Waidegger Horn, 1962m, after which two branches go down dowards Gail/Zilja valley. The northeastern branch reaches first a highpoint on Leitenkogel, 1845m, the next bump in the ridge is even a bit higher, 1864m, then the ridge descends further down. Both these two summits are nice hiking goals and ski tour goals.
Carnic Alps - Main Ridge (Eastern part). Findenigkofel is the summit between Hoher Trieb and Hochwipfel.
For general overview, see the Carnic Alps group page and the Carnic Alps Main Ridge (East) subgroup page. Gail/Zilja valley on the north can be reached from Villach (highway), driving towards the west. Paularo can be reached from Tolmezzo (highway), driving towards the north and then deterring north-east in Val Incarojo. Pontebba lies by the Udine-Villach highway.
Findenigkofel / Monte Lodin summit can be reached from three main directions:
1. From Straniger Alm, 1492m. The meadow can be reached by a narrow, but still solid mountain road, starting in Stranig in Gail/Zilja valley. It is opened for public traffic from June 1st till end of September. From Straniger Alm the mountain road continues to Waidegger Alm, 1745m. I nowhere saw any signs prohibiting the drive, but it is a bit untasty to use noisy vehicles so high on nice mountains. This is the eastern approach.
2. The second approach from the Gail/Zilja valley brings you on Zollner Alm, where Dr. Steinwendner hut stands, 1720m. From there towards the east a mountain road continues to Ochsen Alm, 1700m, but it is perhaps better to start the tout by Dr. Steinwendner hut. The mountain road starts in Weidenburg, south of Dellach. The road is opened for public traffic from mid June till end of September. This is the western approach.
3. The third approach comes from the south, from below Passo del Cason di Lanza, 1552m, which is reachable by a nice mountain road, which encircles Monte Zermula, thus connecting the towns of Pontebba and Paularo. The road is usually opened from end of April till end of October.
The summit of Findenigkofel / Monte Lodin can be reached by three marked approaches.
1. From the east. From Straniger Alm, 1492m, you go by path No. 403 (or by the road) on the saddle between the main Carnic crest and Waidegger Hoehe. Continue westwards by Karnischer Hoehenweg and below Lodintoerl turn left up towards the main crest. You pass the monument from World War I, soon reach the summit ridge and along the trenches from the WW1 the highest point. 1 hour 45 minutes, from Straniger Alm.
2. From the west. From Dr. Steinwendner hut, 1720m, go by Karnischer Hoehenweg towards the east. It brings you just below Noelbling Pass / Passo Lodinut, 1817m. Go on the saddle and follow the main ridge to the top. 1 hour.
3. From the south. From the Italian side you can reach the main crest by many paths, but the shortest one for a one-day tour is the marked path No. 457, which starts on Casera Ramaz, 1050m. It brings you on Casera Lodin alta, from where you can do a round tour - either towards the NE on Lodintoerl, by the main ridge on top and down via Noelbling Pass / Passo Lodinut, or vice versa. 3 hours to the top.
Findenigkofel / Monte Lodin can of course be traversed on a multi-day hike along the main Carnic Alps crest. If coming from the west, in this case you can start a day etappe also on Casera Promosio, cross first Hohe Trieb / Cuestalta, 2198m, and continue eastwards on Findenigkofel / Monte Lodin.
You can see a detailed map (1:50000) on-line on: http://www.austrianmap.at/.
Red TapeThere are no limitations.
Huts And Camping
On the surrounding alpine meadows there are many private huts, where you can eat and drink. The three bigger mountain huts, where you can also sleep are:
Zollner hut on Straniger Alm, 1492m. Managed by Sagmeister family, tel.: +43(4285)243. The hut has a few rooms, prices vary from 45€ to 75€.
Dr. Steinwendner hut, 1720m. It has 28 places and 6 places in winter room. Opened from mid June till end of September. Tel.: 0043/4718/625 (in the valley: 0043/664/1060014).
Rif. Pietro Fabiani, 1539m. Opened from mid June till mid September. Tel.: 329-3009876. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org. The hut can be reached from the road in 1 hour 30 minutes (paths no. 407 and 454a).
When To Climb?
Findenigkofel / Monte Lodin can be ascended any time of the year. Very beautiful is autumn, but also spring and seasons when conditions for ski touring are good.