Have You Seen It, 5.10, 2 Pitches

Have You Seen It, 5.10, 2 Pitches

Page Type Page Type: Route
Location Lat/Lon: 31.87116°N / 109.99544°W
Additional Information Route Type: Sport Climbing
Seasons Season: Spring, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Time Required: Half a day
Additional Information Rock Difficulty: 5.10 (YDS)
Additional Information Number of Pitches: 2
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview/Approach

Dow leading the 1st Pitch
Dow leading the 1st Pitch

(photo above is 2nd pitch)

This is a natural route to combine with Tour Buses Welcome for 5 pitches of solid 5.10 bolted climbing on Muttonhead.  Because I prefer trad, these were two of the few remaining multi pitch routes for me to climb in Cochise.  That said, Tour Buses Welcome was outstanding and Have You Seen It was worth climbing. 

The first pitch is published as 5.10- but is borderline 5.9.  It is a long-sustained pitch but I never really felt a crux move at the grade.  It does offer fun movement over many dikes and positive steep features in general.  The second pitch is typical Cochise intricate slab.  Not too crunchy until the end.  Both pitches are fully and well bolted. 

Have You Seen It starts in the large roof corner located in the middle of Muttonhead.  This corner actually does not have a route in it.  This corner system is the much larger version of the Mystery of the Desert corner which is located several meters further north along the wall.  You start up the corner for just a second and then traverse over the arete to the right to continue the route, following the many bolts.

 

Route Description

1st Pitch- 150’-5.10-/ A long fun pitch, might just be 5.9 sustained.  I never felt much of a 5.10 move.  Great movement over cool rock.  Start on an arete/short buttress and traverse right, over it, on dikes.  A lot of positive moves/dike pulls for the entire length of the pitch.  16 clips vs 12 as the locale guide references (2022).  No need for a #1 cam as referenced in the guide and on MP.com.  Well bolted to a fixed rap stance on yet another dike. 

2nd Pitch- 110’-5.10/ Guide has the length of this pitch way short, but you need double ropes to get down from top of the first pitch anyway.  Typical Cochise pure whitish slab.  Some intermittent cracks show up on the upper half.  The crux moves all involve slab climbing.  Near the end, take a sharp right to gain a short arete that leads back left to a fixed rap. 

Climbing Sequence

Dow leading the 1st Pitch
Dow leading the 1st Pitch
1st Pitch
1st Pitch
2nd Pitch
2nd Pitch

Descent

Rap the route.  Single 70m makes the first rap, double ropes for the second rap. 

Essential Gear

Double ropes.  16 draws.  Receives mostly sun during the winter months. 



Related 

Friends

Related objects are relevant to each other in some way, but they don't form a parent/child relationship. Also, they don't necessarily share the same parent.