Jolly Green Giant-- 5.6-5.11+

Jolly Green Giant-- 5.6-5.11+

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.12113°N / 110.68902°W
Activities Activities: Trad Climbing, Sport Climbing, Toprope, Scrambling
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 5796 ft / 1767 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Just up-canyon from Point Judith-- it is literally the next crag up-canyon and like a minute away on foot-- the Jolly Green Giant is a Buckhorn Wash crag with 4 established climbing routes on it. Two are sport and two are trad, and one is a 2-pitch route with a walkoff.

The crag is only about 50' away from where you park, and depending on the route you choose, the approaches are hikes of a few seconds to maybe a minute on level ground.
 
Topout View
Topout View

Getting There

Park at a pullout approximately 0.25 mi south of the Buckhorn Wash Pictograph Panel. It's on the north side of the road, and there's a nice campsite there with a fire ring and a picnic table.

There are several ways to approach from the north, and you'll have to map those options for yourself. From the south, the best way is to exit I-70 at Exit 131 and follow the frontage road east until it bends north and becomes a dirt road.
 
Except in wet conditions, this road is passable to most vehicles.
 
Jolly Green Giant Campsite
Jolly Green Giant Campsite

Routes

There are 4 established routes, going by the Mountain Project page, though the page suggests that there are undocumented routes.

  • I'm Rick James, Bitch-- Sport, 5.11+
  • Unnamed LF Dihedral-- Trad, 5.10+
  • Boat Nectar-- Trad, 5.6, 2 Pitches
  • Phat Fatty-- Sport, 5.6. This one is mere steps from the parking site. It looked fun, but there was a party on it and we didn't feel like waiting.
All routes have bolted anchors.
 
Base of Boat Nectar
Base of Boat Nectar
 

Red Tape

None-- leave no trace

When to Climb

The crag faces south, making it a good choice in spring, fall, some winter days, and early summer mornings.

Camping

Aside from the sweet campsite at the base of the crag, there are disoersed sites all over the place, and there is a developed campground a few miles south at the San Rafael Bridge area.



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.