Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.10080°N / 105.5742°W
Additional Information County: Park
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 11289 ft / 3441 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Approaching the Summit
While there are several routes to the summit of this ranked 11er, the result is the same – great hike, wonderful views and a great day. For a little mountain and short hike, this one provides opportunities for route finding, some steep terrain, big vistas and lots of rocks along the way. We did this one in early winter, only about 6 in of snow on the ground, but this is a good year-round hike/snowshoe. Also a great day for the family dogs; ours had fun and were very tired when done. So when you only have a few hours to be in the mountains, Martland is the perfect choice.
Sarah and Puppy
Martland Summit
[
Parking off 44

Getting There

The South Slopes
Summit Views

There are many routes to the summit of Martland Peak. It is 1.5 miles southeast of Schoolmarm Mountain (its line parent) and 3.7 miles north of US 24. The easiest route starts at Tener Gulch Trailhead and the shortest route starts at the Martland Pass Trailhead (head toward LaSalle Pass).

Red Tape

Located within the Pike National Forest, there are no fees to access this area or to park. However, note that Martland Peak is surrounded to the west, south and southeast by private property. Be mindful of the Forest Service boundary and respect the rights of property owners.

Camping & Lodges

Near the Summit
Nearby Trailhead-Style Camping

Rustic, dry camping is available in on the numerous Forest Service roads off of CR 44. This camping is first-come, first-served with no facilities. You will need to haul all of the water you need.

Lodges and Guest Ranches

Puma Hills River Ranch
Dream Stream Lodge
Ute Trail River Ranch
Bison Peak Lodge

Weather and Seasons

[img:831575:alignright:small:]The Puma Hills are a year-round mountain range. Relatively low elevations (below timberline) and gentle grades mean minimal avalanche danger. Martland Peak should be accessible from late Spring through Fall. Heavy snows or snowmelt may make CO Rd 44 impassible in Winter and Spring. The aspen that thrive at these middle elevations make Martland Peak and its Puma Hills neighbors delightful destinations in Fall.

Additions and CorrectionsPost an Addition or Correction

Viewing: 1-1 of 1
Sarah Simon

Sarah Simon - Dec 27, 2012 4:42 pm - Hasn't voted

profile photo

Here is a profile photo for Martland Peak: http://www.summitpost.org/martland-peak/831580/c-831571 Sarah

Viewing: 1-1 of 1


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Puma HillsMountains & Rocks