Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.27260°N / 105.7127°W
Additional Information County: Park
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall
Additional Information Elevation: 9870 ft / 3008 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

This fine little peak is one of the many in the Tarryall range that sits very close to 10,000'. Thankfully, it is in the Pike National Forest, and is publicly accessible. It is bordered to the NW, W, and SW by private property, so the best access is from the SE, near Observatory Rock.

While this peak is fine in and of itself, it probably pairs best with a loop including the fine Observatory Rock, which saves moving the car as well. This allows some fine scrambling, albeit short, on both of these impressive and similar peaks. I would suggest a summer or early fall hike to best enjoy the colors and splendor of the area, as the route takes you through some resplendent aspen meadows.

The hike is off-trail, but easy, until you get to the base of the summit block. From there, you can pick your line, and enjoy the fine summit views.

Getting There

Easiest route to follow is from the town of Jefferson, Colorado. From the center of town, take CR 77 SE to Stagestop Road, head south. Continue south to Longbow, which heads SE. Continue a short bit until you cross over a cattleguard and into N.F. land - onto FR 148. Continue SE on the FR (of varying quality, sometimes deep ruts) to FR 834. Head NE on 834 as it curves toward Observatory Rock. Stop where you feel comfortable, and follow the road to either a) 4x4 parking for O-rock, or b) head north on 834 past the closed road for Swiggler Gulch (connects to the neighborhood, but is closed to vehicles), and find another older, faint road less than .2 miles north of the Swiggler Gulch road. Hike this road west and follow it as it bends back north. 9870 appears quickly on your left hand side as you near the saddle. Once on the saddle, head NW and continue NNW towards the now always visible summit area. Easier hiking is found a bit farther west, in some pleasant open aspen groves, which I'm sure are spectacular in the fall. Continue north to the NW slopes of the summit area, then bend back to the summit. Easiest line is 2+, but you can make a short 4th class go of it if you like. Enjoy the views.

Red Tape

None that I'm aware of, although the roads might be impassable in winter.

Camping

The usual restrictions and obligations exist for camping in the Pike N.F.

External Links

UN 9,870' at ListsofJohn.com