Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.11530°N / 105.5942°W
Additional Information County: Park
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 11332 ft / 3454 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

The Schoolmarm GroupThe Schoolmarm Group from the south


Despite the stern name, Schoolmarm Mountain is a gentle Elevener in the Puma Hills north of Hwy 24 in Park County. Schoolmarm Mountain is the highest in a grouping of wooded peaks that includes Martland Peak (11,289 feet) and Rishaberger Mountain (10,460 feet). There are many ways to the summit of Schoolmarm, but all guarantee a taste of Puma Hills bushwhacking. What is traded in limited line of sight through below timberline tree cover, though, is paid back in startling solitude afforded by a visit to these hills.

The summit features some USGS markers from 1953 and an old survey triangulation structure. The summit boulders offer limited views, but a decent place to sit, take in what views can be enjoyed, and listen to the wind in the pines. Additionally, from other parts of the summit area views are available of the Kenosha Mountains, other nearby Puma Hills, and the high-country across the vastness of South Park.

Rank: 1631st highest peak in Colorado
Prominence: 632 feet
USGS Quad: Glentivar

Rank & Prominence Source: Lists of John

Getting There

Schoolmarm Mountain RoutesMany route options from CR 23
Last few steps to summitLast few steps to summit


There are countless routes to the summit of Schoolmarm Mountain, departing County Road 23. CR 23 is a graded dirt road suitable for most passenger vehicles. It can be reached easily from Hwy 24 west of Lake George and east of Hartsel

Red Tape

East from the summitEast from the summit
McCurdy MountainMcCurdy Mountain from just below Schoolmarm Mountain summit


Located within the Pike National Forest, there are no fees to access this area or to park. However, note that Schoolmarm Mountain is surrounded to the west, south and southeast by private property. Be mindful of the Forest Service boundary and respect the rights of property owners.

Camping & Lodging

1953 Reference Mark1953 Directional Marker
1953 Triangulation Marker1953 Triangulation Marker
Schoolmarm Mountain SummitSchoolmarm Mountain Summit
Snow moving across South ParkSnow moving across South Park


Nearby Trailhead-Style Camping

Rustic, dry camping is available in on the numerous Forest Service roads off of CR 23. This camping is first-come, first-served with no facilities. You will need to haul all of the water you need.

Lodges and Guest Ranches

Puma Hills River Ranch
Dream Stream Lodge
Ute Trail River Ranch
Bison Peak Lodge


Established National Forest Campgrounds

Campground NameElevationSitesNightly RateReservations?Notes
Blue Mountain8,200 ft.21$12YesJust a couple miles south of Lake George.
Spruce Grove8,600 ft.27$12NoLet the gurgling Tarryall Creek sing you to sleep.
Twin Eagles8,600 ft.9$8NoMust haul or purify drinking water.
Happy Meadows7,900 ft.8$12NoSituated along the South Platte River.
Round Mountain8,500 ft.16$12YesDrinking water, vault toilet and trash pickup.
Springer Gulch8,300 ft.15$12YesSituated within the Elevenmile Canyon; water, tables, fire grates.
Riverside8,000 ft.19$12YesSituated within Elevenmile Canyon; large grassy meadow with little shade.

Weather & Seasons

Triangulation Structure on SummitTriangulation Structure on Summit

Cold Late-November SummitCold Late-November Summit


The Puma Hills are a year-round mountain range. Relatively low elevations (below timberline) and gentle grades mean minimal avalanche danger. Schoolmarm Mountain should be accessible from late Spring through Fall. Heavy snows or snowmelt may make CO Rd 23 impassible in Winter and Spring. The aspen that thrive at these middle elevations make Schoolmarm Mountain and its Puma Hills neighbors delightful destinations in Fall.
Schoolmarm MountainSchoolmarm Mountain



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.