Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.09990°N / 105.6264°W
Additional Information County: Park
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 10412 ft / 3174 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Shrouded views to northShrouded views to north


Rising up out of the pancake-flat rangeland to the southwest, this low wooded mountain rises to 10,412 feet which, in southern Colorado, means a solid thousand feet below timberline. Though it has no named, the mountain is a ranked Colorado Summit and, while no trail reaches its summit, it is nonetheless relatively accessible. UN 10,412, alias “Roachaburger Mountain,” is a typical Puma Hills summit in that a rather short bushwack through dense timber carries you to a summit made up of a rocky jumble of Pikes Peak granite offering limited views through the pines.

Also like its Puma Hills neighbors, this little peak will envelop the visitor in solitude. Compared to the high peaks to the west and southwest of this peak, this area sees less frequent visitation. Only die-hard peak nerds typically seek out these wooded summits, and running into another hiker on the slopes of UN 10,412 would be a novelty, indeed! Come here to enjoy the sound and feel of the untracked forest duff crunching underneath your boots and your dog’s paw pads. Smile at your good fortune of having, if only for a day, an entire mountain all to yourself.

USGS Quad: Sulphur Mountain
Rank: 2077th highest peak in Colorado
Prominence: 392 feet

Rank & Prominence Information: Lists of John

Getting There

The Schoolmarm Group
Getting There Map


UN 10,412 resides in Park County, a large but sparsely populated Colorado County. The nearest access road is CO Rd 23 (Turner Gulch Road), which can be reached by traveling north from US Hwy 24 or south from CO Rd 77. Guarded by private property to the west and the south and by more rolling Puma Hills neighbors to the north and the east, UN 10,412 is most readily accessible via CO Rd 23 to the northwest.

Red Tape

Shady spot to relaxShady spot to relax
Distant Sawatch ViewsDistant Sawatch Views


Located within the Pike National Forest, there are no fees to access this area or to park. However, note that UN 10,412 is surrounded to the west, south and southeast by private property. Be mindful of the Forest Service boundary and respect the rights of property owners.


Camping & Lodging

West-southwest from Rishaberger MountainWooded UN 10412
Summit RocksSummit Rocks
UN 10412 from RishabergerUN 10412 from Rishaberger Mountain
Limited views from summitLimited views from summit


Nearby Trailhead-Style Camping

Rustic, dry camping is available in one or two spots off of FS 279. This camping is first-come, first-served with no facilities. You will need to haul all of the water you need.

Lodges and Guest Ranches

Puma Hills River Ranch
Dream Stream Lodge
Ute Trail River Ranch
Bison Peak Lodge


Established National Forest Campgrounds

Campground NameElevationSitesNightly RateReservations?Notes
Blue Mountain8,200 ft.21$12YesJust a couple miles south of Lake George.
Spruce Grove8,600 ft.27$12NoLet the gurgling Tarryall Creek sing you to sleep.
Twin Eagles8,600 ft.9$8NoMust haul or purify drinking water.
Happy Meadows7,900 ft.8$12NoSituated along the South Platte River.
Round Mountain8,500 ft.16$12YesDrinking water, vault toilet and trash pickup.
Springer Gulch8,300 ft.15$12YesSituated within the Elevenmile Canyon; water, tables, fire grates.
Riverside8,000 ft.19$12YesSituated within Elevenmile Canyon; large grassy meadow with little shade.

Weather & Seasons

Wooded summit areaWooded summit area
WSW to UN 10412WSW to UN 10412

The Puma Hills are a year-round mountain range. Relatively low elevations (below timberline) and gentle grades mean minimal avalanche danger. UN 10,412 should be accessible from late Spring through Fall. Heavy snows or snowmelt may make CO Rd 23 impassible in Winter and Spring. The aspen that thrive at these middle elevations make UN 10,412 and its Puma Hills neighbors delightful destinations in Fall.
September AspenSeptember Aspen


Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Puma HillsMountains & Rocks