Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.10320°N / 105.6136°W
Additional Information County: Park
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 10460 ft / 3188 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Golden Aspen in FieldGolden Aspen in Field below Rishaberger Mountain


Rishaberger Mountain sits on the far eastern edge of South Park, where high rangeland butts up against the wooded and peaceful Puma Hills. About 10 miles south as the crow flies from the Tarryall Reservoir, this summit is visited by few. The long, boulder-strewn summit ridge extends east of the summit and provides opportunity for scrambling and exploring, or just lounging in the sun and enjoying views of South Park and neighboring Puma Hills while the wind whistles through the pine boughs.

Like many Puma Hills peaks, attaining the Rishaberger Mountain summit requires a bushwack through dense timber and deadfall and the summit offers somewhat limited views. The shy beauty of this area is revealed only to those with the patience and determination to dodge the high-country crowds and forego the big sky views in exchange for dark, quiet solitude through trail-less hills.

Colorado Rank: Unranked
Prominence: 240 feet
USGS Quad: Glentivar

Rank & Prominence Information: Lists of John

Getting There

Getting There Map
The Schoolmarm GroupThe Schoolmarm Group from the south


Rishaberger Mountain resides in Park County, a large but sparsely populated Colorado County. The nearest access road is CO Rd 23 (Turner Gulch Road), which can be reached by traveling north from US Hwy 24 or south from CO Rd 77. Guarded by private property to the west and the south and by more rolling Puma Hills neighbors to the north and the east, Rishaberger Mountain is most readily accessible via CO Rd 23 to the northwest.

Red Tape

Badger Mountain from Rishaberger MountainBadger Mountain from Rishaberger Mountain
Schoolmarm from RishabergerSchoolmarm Mountain from Rishaberger Mountain



Located within the Pike National Forest, there are no fees to access this area or to park. However, note that Rishaberger Mountain is surrounded to the west, south and southeast by private property. Be mindful of the Forest Service boundary and respect the rights of property owners.

Camping & Lodging

Wild Open RangelandWild Open Rangeland


Summit Register, Rishaberger MountainSummit Register, Rishaberger Mountain
West from rocky summit areaWest from rocky summit area

Nearby Trailhead-Style Camping

Rustic, dry camping is available in one or two spots off of FS 279. This camping is first-come, first-served with no facilities. You will need to haul all of the water you need.

Lodges and Guest Ranches

Puma Hills River Ranch
Dream Stream Lodge
Ute Trail River Ranch
Bison Peak Lodge


Established National Forest Campgrounds

Campground NameElevationSitesNightly RateReservations?Notes
Blue Mountain8,200 ft.21$12YesJust a couple miles south of Lake George.
Spruce Grove8,600 ft.27$12NoLet the gurgling Tarryall Creek sing you to sleep.
Twin Eagles8,600 ft.9$8NoMust haul or purify drinking water.
Happy Meadows7,900 ft.8$12NoSituated along the South Platte River.
Round Mountain8,500 ft.16$12YesDrinking water, vault toilet and trash pickup.
Springer Gulch8,300 ft.15$12YesSituated within the Elevenmile Canyon; water, tables, fire grates.
Riverside8,000 ft.19$12YesSituated within Elevenmile Canyon; large grassy meadow with little shade.



West across Hwy 24West across Hwy 24

Weather & Seasons

Rocky Summit Area Rocky Summit Area
Martland Peak & NeighborsMartland Peak & Neighbors


The Puma Hills are a year-round mountain range. Relatively low elevations (below timberline) and gentle grades mean minimal avalanche danger. Rishaberger Mountain should be accessible from late Spring through Fall. Heavy snows or snowmelt may make CO Rd 23 impassible in Winter and Spring. The aspen that thrive at these middle elevations make Rishaberger Mountain and its Puma Hills neighbors delightful destinations in Fall.

Zone Forecast for Lake George, CO



Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.

Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Puma HillsMountains & Rocks