UN 10380 "The Pulverizer"

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 39.02120°N / 105.5289°W
Additional Information GPX File: Download GPX » View Route on Map
Additional Information County: Parkx
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 10380 ft / 3164 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

From the parking area
UN 10380 "The Pulverizer" from the parking area described on this page | 3 Nov 2013

This gentle mountain sits in the Puma Hills south of Hwy 24. It has no official name, though it was christened “The Pulverizer” by Jerry Roach due to its proximity to neighboring Pulver Mountain. There is no trail to the summit of this peak, which lends itself to a sense of remoteness despite the fact that this peak can be seen from the Wilkerson Pass Forest Service visitor center. The views from the top are surprisingly pleasant and include: Pulver Mountain, Stoll Mountain, Badger Mountain, Pikes Peak (distance) and the Elevenmile Canyon Reservoir.

Rank: 2094th highest summit in Colorado
Prominence: 560 feet
USGS Quad: Glentivar

Rank & Prominence: Lists of John

Getting There

The parking area
Park here and head west through the trees, avoiding private property | 3 Nov 2013

Wilkerson Pass is roughly 1 hour (or 50 miles) west of Colorado Springs, Colorado. Pulver Mountain sits to the southeast of Wilkerson Pass and is easy to access from US Hwy 24. Most visitors to this peak will access the summit from County Road 90 south of Hwy 24.

Route

Summit of UN 10380
Summit of UN 10380
Eastern slopes of The Pulverizer
Eastern slopes of "The Pulverizer"
High near the summit
High near the summit
Heading up the eastern slopes
Heading up the eastern slopes

Despite sitting due-south of the Wilkerson Pass visitor center, private property surrounding this mountain make a direct access from Hwy 24 a questionable choice. The route description described here avoids most private property headaches.

Driving Directions From US Hwy 24 east of Wilkerson Pass

• Head south on Park County 90 (graded dirt).
• Head just 2/10ths of a mile to an un-marked dirt road. (Do not turn onto Pulver Road, which I believe is private.) You may feel at first like you are turning into someone’s rural driveway, but this is a Forest Service road!

o In deep snow or if driving a low-slung vehicle, you may need to park here. Moderate-to-high clearance vehicles will easily reach the upper parking area in dry conditions.

• Follow FS 706, bearing left at junctions, for about 1 ½ miles until it dead-ends in a clearing. Park here.

Hiking Route Details

Roundtrip Distance: 2.4 miles
Elevation Gain: 1000 feet
YDS Class: 2 (off-trail)
Bushwhack Grade: B1+

See attached GPX file for map and elevation profile.

Simply head west from the parking area through the trails toward the summit, avoiding private property by skirting it to the south. Cross a meadow and begin walking more steeply up the southeastern slopes to reach the top.

Red Tape

The summit of “The Pulverizer” and a vast majority of the entire mountain reside within the Pike National Forest. However, there is a lot of private property, specifically residences, to the east and north of the peak. Forest Roads and public land provide all the access you need to reach this summit. Please respect private property, do not use private drives, do not park on private land, watch your vehicle speed through residential areas and be friendly to any locals you may encounter.

Pulver Mountain and Stoll Mountain
Pulver Mountain and Stoll Mountain from the summit of UN 10380 "The Pulverizer" | 3 Nov 2013

Weather and Seasons

Pulver and Stoll
Pulver Mountain and Stoll Mountain


In the summer, the area surrounding this peak may get a little hot and dusty, but is still unlikely to be terribly crowded. Fall will bring cooler temperatures and more slender crowds, plus the added bonus of bright golden aspen. This peak would be a delightful winter or spring snowshoe, though the roundtrip distance and overall effort would increase, and finding a safe place to park your vehicle may be a bit more of a challenge in snowseason.

Camping

The National Forest Service has a large selection of campgrounds in and around the Lake George area.

Campground NameElevationSitesNightly RateReservations?Notes
Blue Mountain8,200 ft.21$12YesLess than 3 miles as the crow flies from the summit of Blue Mountain near Lake George.
Spruce Grove8,600 ft.27$12NoLet the gurgling Tarryall Creek sing you to sleep.
Twin Eagles8,600 ft.9$8NoMust haul or purify drinking water.
Happy Meadows7,900 ft.8$12NoSituated along the South Platte River.
Round Mountain8,500 ft.16$12YesDrinking water, vault toilet and trash pickup.
Springer Gulch8,300 ft.15$12YesSituated within the Elevenmile Canyon; water, tables, fire grates.
Riverside8,000 ft.19$12YesSituated within Elevenmile Canyon; large grassy meadow with little shade.

External Links

Trip Report by SP Member Brian Kalet: https://sites.google.com/site/kaletbrian/stoll-mountain


Parents 

Parents

Parents refers to a larger category under which an object falls. For example, theAconcagua mountain page has the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits' asparents and is a parent itself to many routes, photos, and Trip Reports.

Puma HillsMountains & Rocks