Paloon Gardan & Palvan

Paloon Gardan & Palvan

Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 36.08672°N / 51.58749°E
Activities Activities: Mountaineering
Seasons Season: Summer
Additional Information Elevation: 13963 ft / 4256 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Click for Introduction to the Central Alborz Mountains.

Click for Introduction to Kholeno Massf.

Click for a detailed map of the Central Alborz Mountains.

Click for a detailed map of the Kholeno massf.

Name Alert: Many sources use the name “Paloon Gardan” in reference to the “Kholeno Massif” and give it a rounded figure of 4375 m (which is an approximate figure for the elevation of Mt. Kholeno the Great, the highest peak of the massif). In this discussion, “Paloon Gardan” refers to the specific peak identified in this page.
From Kaman KoohView from northwest

From JahnestonView from southeast

Paloon Gardan Peak 4256 m
North SlopesNorth Slopes
From Varehgeh Rood RiverPaloon & Palvan

Kholeno Massif refers to a series of connected ridgelines in the geographic heart of the Central Alborz Mountains of northern Iran that give rise to tens of 4000 m plus peaks the highest of which is the 4387 m Mt. Kholeno the Great. Paloon Gardan sits in one of the remotest parts of this massif. To the north, Paloon Gardan is connected to the 4206 m Narges Peak and to the west it connects to the 4126 m Palvan Peak. The eastern slopes of Paloon Gardan form a branch of the Noor River (known as Bataherkala) and its southern slopes drop down to the upper portions of the Lar River Valley. To the west, Paloon Gardan gives rise to the Varengeh Rood River. The fact that Paloon Gardan is higher than its nearby mountains, make it appear as a prominent peak.
From Varengeh Rood ValleyL to R: Paloon Gardan, Palvan, Point 3957 m & Sarkharsang

South SideSouth Slopes
From SaddleNorth Ridge

Paloon Gardan is a very long way from any trailhead. Reaching its summit will take 1.5-2 days. For this reason, you are sure to find solitude on its summit. Those who climb Paloon Garadan, usually first climb the Kholeno Peaks and then follow the ridgetop past the Meeshchal (4253 m), Sarkharsang (4203 m) & Palvan (4126 m) Peaks before reaching Paloon Gardan. This ridgetop is rocky and will require route finding/Class III climbing. Another option is to start at the village of Varengeh Rood (2450 m) to the west and hike along the Varengeh Rood River to set up base camp in the upper river valley where you could access many of the local peaks. The river hike will take you through beautiful alpine meadows and provide you with spectacular views of snow-capped mountains.
From DokhaharanFrom Dokhaharan




Views from the summit of Paloon Gardan




Narges & AzadNarges
AzadAzad
Kaman KoohKaman
Sehchal & SiknoSehchal
KholenoKholeno






Kholeno/BorjKholeno/Borj
VarzabVarzab
JahnestonJahneston
Kharsang KoohKharsang
DamavandDamavand


Palvan Peak 4126 m

Palvan sits to the west of Paloon Gardan and its summit can be reached from Paloon Gardan by following a rocky ridgetop. From the north, Palvan appears as a sharp triangular peak, from the south, however, it might look like nothing more than a bump on the ridgetop between Paloon Gardan & Sarkharsang Peaks.





PalvanNortheast Face
Palvan
PalvanNortwest Face
Palvan & PaloonPaloon & Palvan


A few pictures from upper Varengeh Rood Valley





Varengeh Rood River
KholenoKholeno
AlergenoAlergeno
Varengeh Rood







Siyoonza & AsbichalAsbichal
Varengeh Rood ValleyAsbichal

Getting There

Directions to Varengeh Rood Village:
From downtown Tehran drive the Tehran-Karaj Freeway 40 Km west to the town of Karaj and take the Chalus Road exit. Drive the Chalus Road up the mountains roughly 70 Km till the junction of the road that goes to Dizin Ski Area (2250 m). Turn onto this road and follow it a few Km till you see a side road on the left that goes to Varengeh Rood Village (2325 m). Turn onto this road and follow it a few Km till the end of it at the village (2450 m).

North Face of Paloon GardanNorth face, Paloon Gardan is the 2nd peak from left

Red Tape

No fees/permits required.

Camping

Anywhere.

Children

Children

Children refers to the set of objects that logically fall under a given object. For example, the Aconcagua mountain page is a child of the 'Aconcagua Group' and the 'Seven Summits.' The Aconcagua mountain itself has many routes, photos, and trip reports as children.