Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 34.91020°N / 99.3166°W
Additional Information GPX File: Download GPX » View Route on Map
Activities Activities: Hiking
Seasons Season: Spring, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 2075 ft / 632 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Rank: Quartz Mountain is Oklahoma’s 61st highest peak

Prominence: 510 ft

 

Quartz Mountain refers to a mountainous area 2 miles long on the southwestern shores of Altus Lake in Oklahoma’s Quartz Mountain State Park. The USGS Map does not provide exact elevations for any of the mountains but gives contour lines of 2070 to 2080 ft for the highest point. Elevation at Altus Lake, half a mile to the east of the high point, depending on water level is 1550 ft.

 

No trail goes to the top of any of the area mountains. I started my hike at Cedar Valley Trailhead on the southwestern side of the mountains. The trailhead gives access to a half mile long nature trail that goes on a small plain among the mountains. Leaving the nature trail, I went up a valley to a 1880 ft saddle and then did a ridgetop hike to reach the high point of the range.

 

 

 

 

Getting There

From the intersection of Routes 19 and 283 in Blair, Oklahoma, drive 2.1 miles north on Route 283 then turn right on Route 44. After 4.7 miles, turn left on Rout 44A. Follow 44A half a mile north. Right after going over a bridge, the road turns west and becomes County Road 1470 and then 1465. One and a half miles after the turn, look for a dirt road on the right (north side). Follow the dirt road less than half a mile to Cedar Valley Trailhead. On the day that I did my hike, the dirt road was well graded and passable by a y car.

Route From Cedar Valley

Trailhead Elevation: 1570 ft

Summit Elevation: 2075 ft

Roundtrip Hiking Distance: 3.6 miles

 

At Cedar Valley Trailhead, a rocky buttress known as Baldy Point was visible to the west. This point is apparently a popular rock climbing area.

Baldy Point
Baldy Point

 

I went north on Cedar Valley Nature Trail. Where the trail branched (a loop started), I went left.

Nature Trail
Nature Trail
From nature trail
From nature trail
Baldy Point from Nature Trail
Baldy Point from Nature Trail

 

At the north end of the loop trail, I left trail and went into a valley that went up to a 1880 ft saddle. A somewhat of a beaten path was visible.

Valley
Valley

 

 

Views from the valley.

Baldy Point from the valley
Baldy Point from the valley
1880 ft saddle from the valley
1880 ft saddle from the valley

 

I then reached the 1880 ft saddle.

Baldy Point from 1880 ft saddle
Baldy Point from 1880 ft saddle

 

 

At the 1880 ft saddle, what looked like a plateau appeared in front of me with the 2075 ft summit half a mile away to the northeast. It looked as if I could walk on the plateau toward the summit but having looked at topo maps, I knew that a canyon sat between me and the summit. I had to follow the broad ridgetop northwest where the ridgetop turned east and went to the summit.

Summit from 1880 ft saddle
Summit from 1880 ft saddle

 

Point 2035 ft sat to the southeast of the saddle.

Point 2035 ft
Point 2035 ft

 

 

Headed northwest on the ridgetop and then east toward the 2075 ft summit. Views from the ridgetop.

Ridgetop
Ridgetop
Ridgetop
Ridgetop
Ridgetop
Ridgetop
Point 2035 ft from ridgetop
Point 2035 ft from ridgetop

 

 

Before reaching the summit, the ridgetop became rocky. Traversing the slopes on the south side appeared difficult. I went to the north side and traversed the slopes below cliffs.

Slope below cliff
Slope below cliff

 

A look back at the slope I traversed.

The slope I traversed
The slope I traversed

 

 

Final push to the summit.

Summit
Summit
On the way to summit
On the way to summit

 

 

Views from the summit.

 

Looking north
Looking north
Altus Lake, looking northeast
Altus Lake, looking northeast
Altus Lake, looking east
Altus Lake, looking east
Twin Peaks & Altus Lake, looking Southeast
Twin Peaks & Altus Lake, looking Southeast
Point 2035 ft, looking south
Point 2035 ft, looking south
Looking southwest
Looking southwest

 

 

Red Tape

No fees or permits.

When to Climb

Summer can get very hot. Mid fall to mid spring is the best time.