Page Type Page Type: Mountain/Rock
Location Lat/Lon: 34.74877°N / 98.54384°W
Additional Information County: Commanche
Activities Activities: Hiking, Bouldering
Seasons Season: Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter
Additional Information Elevation: 2175 ft / 663 m
Sign the Climber's Log

Overview

Hunting Horse Hill is located in the eastern portion of the Wichita Mountain National Wildlife Refuge near Lawton OK. It is tucked into the landscape north of Rt 49 immediately west of Mt Scott, and SSE of Mt Wall. Hunting Horse Hill is can be characterized as a short ridge extending NNE to SSW for about a quarter-mile. It has two distinguishable peaks that are quite rocky and craggy, the south one being the highest elevation.

Getting There

From Lawton OK: If you are visiting the Wichita Mountain Wildlife Refuge from the Lawton area, you will most likely enter the park on Rt 49 from the H.E. Bailey Turnpike (I-44). It is approximately 8 miles from I-44 to the park. Once in the park continue on Rt 49 West. Turn right onto the Mt Scott Road. Follow the road around the mountain (approx. 1.9 miles) to the NW Observation Turnout. You will see Hunting Horse Hill almost directly west. From Cache OK: From US Rt 62, take Rt 115 N from Cache. It is about 6 miles from Cache to the WMNWR gate. Follow Rt 115 to Rt 49. Turn east on Rt 49 passing the Visitor Center. Continue east of Rt 49 until you pass the Meers exit (Rt 115) and come to the Mt Scott Road turnoff. Turn left onto the Mt Scott Road. (For further directions see the first paragraph of this section.) From the West: Enter the Wichita Mountain Wildlife Refuge on Rt 49. Continue east on Rt 49 for several miles. About mid-way in the park you will make a left turn on Rt 49 afterwhich you will pass the Visitor Center. Continue east passing the Meers exit (Rt 115) until you come to the Mt Scott turnoff. (For further directions see the first paragraph of this section.) From the North (Meers Entrance): Leaving the town of Meers, drive south on State Highway 115 in to the WMWR. Watch the curves and oncoming traffic on this road as it can be rather dangerous if your speed is excessive. After entering the park continue until you reach Route 49. Turn left and go to the Mt Scott turnoff. (For further directions see the first paragraph of this section.) Distance to the Wichita Mountain Wildlife Refuge from various cities: Amarillo TX, 214 miles Dallas TX, 205 miles Fort Smith AR, 263 miles Oklahoma City OK, 86 miles Tulsa OK, 191 miles Wichita KS, 246 miles Wichita Falls TX, 68 miles CAUTION: Observe posted speed limit signs, especially at night. Park authorites will not hesitate to ticket you for violations. Believe me, I know from first hand experience!

Routes

Hunting Horse Hill is visible from a number of locations including the Meers Highway (Rt 115), Rt 49, and from Mt Scott. The most accessable way to Hunting Horse Hill is to follow directions to the NW Observation Turnout on the Mt Scott road. Refer to the "Getting There" section of this page. You can park here and hike down the west side of Mt Scott into the valley and then up Hunting Horse Hill. There are no marked trails other than possible animal trails. (Refer Google image in the Image section of this page.) Some may consider it advantageous to follow the narrow boulder field down Mt Scott as there are a lot of trees in the area. A casual round trip hike from the Mt Scott Observation Turnout will take about two hours.

Red Tape

There is no fee to visit the Wichita Mountain National Wildlife Refuge. There are several picnicking areas throughout the park. There are opportunities for general camping, backcountry camping (Permit only) and there are numerous trails for hiking and backpacking. Boating is permitted but there are special rules that apply. Fishing is in accordance with state and federal regulations. Hunting is by lottery through the OK Department of Wildlife Conservation. There are tours and special programs provided by the park service. For specific rules and regulations and/or additional information, please check with the WMNWR Visitor Center or visit the site below. U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service,Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge Route 1, Box 448, Indiahoma, OK 73552 (580) 429-3222

Camping

The Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge offers a fully developed camping facility. Doris Campground is located about 1 1/2 miles to the west of the Visitor Center on Route 49. This campground is fully developed with water, fire grills, picnic tables, sanitary dump stations, shower & restroom facilities, tent sites, some electrical hookups, and trailer spaces. Sites are first come - first served. There is limited group camping by reservation only. Fees are charged. Backcountry camping (by permit only) is available in the Charon's Garden Wilderness Area further to the west.

Hiking Health and Safety

Depending on what season of the year that you hike in the Wichita Mountains you may need to be concerned with ticks, chiggers, and other potential insect threats. Insect repellent is always a good idea. Upon returning home, be sure to wash your clothes and check your body for ticks. They will often show up a day or two later. Always treat any insect bite with concern. If sickness, fever, aching, etc, follow an insect bite you should seek your doctors care. Beware of the animals in the refuge. Buffalo and Longhorn Steer can be dangerous if cornered or threatened. Snakes are also plentiful. Always be alert and aware of your surroundings. Remember, a good hike is a safe hike.

External Links

WICHITA MOUNTAINS WILDLIFE REFUGE Website US WILDLIFE AREAS Website WICHITA MOUNTAINS COBBLESTONE GAZETTE